Advice please......

Options

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    edean331 wrote: »
    So to these last two posts, are you saying this is incorrect??? I don't know myself, but have heard both theories regarding slowing your metabolism when you don't eat to boosting it with frequent small snacks. Any validity there??

@edean331 a quick question. How do you explain how anorexics, holocaust survivers etc etc continue to lose weight til they're skin and bone? Why don't they hold on to every calorie they consume and turn it into fat?

I have asked this question dozens of times in response to starvation mode posts, and have yet to receive one reply, not even an attempt at an explanation. . Nothing, zero, naught!!

Anorexia is self starvation. Why do you think our bodies naturally store excess calories as fat?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    So to these last two posts, are you saying this is incorrect??? I don't know myself, but have heard both theories regarding slowing your metabolism when you don't eat to boosting it with frequent small snacks. Any validity there??

@edean331 a quick question. How do you explain how anorexics, holocaust survivers etc etc continue to lose weight til they're skin and bone? Why don't they hold on to every calorie they consume and turn it into fat?

I have asked this question dozens of times in response to starvation mode posts, and have yet to receive one reply, not even an attempt at an explanation. . Nothing, zero, naught!!

Anorexia is self starvation. Why do you think our bodies naturally store excess calories as fat?

Why do anorexics sometimes die?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

What is the difference between starvation through one's decision and famine? Do you honestly think your body knows the difference?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yes, but how do they get to such low weights and continue to lose, why doesn't their weight loss plateau, why don't their bodies store the fat when they do eat?

I have seen people on here told that they are in starvation mode when they have 100lbs to lose. Can someone please explain how a 250+lb person is starving? :huh:
  • cgvet37
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Starvation is a process. Your body has built in safe guards to try and keep you alive. You just don't suddenly die from starvation. Eventually though, your body will use up every available energy source.
  • Christine_72
    Options

And our bodies "store excess fat" when we eat more calories than we burn..
  • cgvet37
    Options

Why though?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Why though?

Say my TDEE is 2000, if i eat 2500 calories everyday I will gain weight, if i eat 1500 calories everyday i will lose weight.
  • cgvet37
    Options

Yes, but how do they get to such low weights and continue to lose, why doesn't their weight loss plateau, why don't their bodies store the fat when they do eat?

I have seen people on here told that they are in starvation mode when they have 100lbs to lose. Can someone please explain how a 250+lb person is starving? :huh:

Excess fat is used as an energy source as a means of survival.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Excess fat is used as an energy source as a means of survival.

..yes. If you eat in a deficit, the excess fat is used as energy. So explain again how you think starvation mode works. Because I'm convinced you're just trolling now.

• cgvet37
    edited August 2016
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

What is the difference between starvation through one's decision and famine? Do you honestly think your body knows the difference?

I never said it did. Your body simply knows if it has the necessary energy source to keep you alive. Rather if it's self induced or not.
  • Giancarlolsx7
    Giancarlolsx7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Holocaust survivors? Anorexics? Your talking about people that maybe ate 300 calories a day if that. Of course they are gonna continue to lose weight until they're bones. That's not even a good comparison.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Holocaust survivors? Anorexics? Your talking about people that maybe ate 300 calories a day if that. Of course they are gonna continue to lose weight until they're bones. That's not even a good comparison.

What do you mean "not a good comparison"? Your body does hold onto fat when you don't eat and are in starvation. Impossible!!
  • Giancarlolsx7
    Options

What do you mean "not a good comparison"? Your body does hold onto fat when you don't eat and are in starvation. Impossible!!

There is a huge difference between "starving" and not eating enough calories. 300 calories vs 1000-1200 is a huge difference. You can't compare them. 300 is piece of bread. 1000 can be a good amount of food if it is clean food.
  • queenliz99
    Options

There is a huge difference between "starving" and not eating enough calories. 300 calories vs 1000-1200 is a huge difference. You can't compare them. 300 is piece of bread. 1000 can be a good amount of food if it is clean food.

I'm lost, sorry! What is your point? Your body does not store fat in a deficit.
  • cgvet37
    Options

Again, you are talking about starvation. Again, starvation is not a one step process. Lets say your BMR is 2,000 calories, and your TDEE is 2,300 calories. If you eat at a 500 calorie deficit, then you would only be 200 calories under your BMR. So your body will burn fat as energy to make up for the defecit. If you were to lower your calorie intake enough. Your body will make changes to your metabolism to maintain homeostatic balance. Which in turn affects your hormones. Eat in a large enough deficit, or not at all, and your body will enter into starvation.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Again, you are talking about starvation. Again, starvation is not a one step process. Lets say your BMR is 2,000 calories, and your TDEE is 2,300 calories. If you eat at a 500 calorie deficit, then you would only be 200 calories under your BMR. So your body will burn fat as energy to make up for the defecit. If you were to lower your calorie intake enough. Your body will make changes to your metabolism to maintain homeostatic balance. Which in turn affects your hormones. Eat in a large enough deficit, or not at all, and your body will enter into starvation.

I spent nearly 2 years living an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle, sometimes only eating a tin of ricecream every day or 2. I lost an obscene amount of weight and continued to do so until the bitter end.
    I started off at a normal weight, not overweight at all.
  • cgvet37
    edited August 2016
    Options

I spent nearly 2 years living an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle, sometimes only eating a tin of ricecream every day or 2. I lost an obscene amount of weight and continued to do so until the bitter end.

So, you starved yourself then?
  • Giancarlolsx7
    Options

You clearly just said "sometimes only eating a tin of rice cream " that's called starving yourself it's not the same.exactly why you can't compare starvation with a big deficit
  • Christine_72
    Options

So, you starved yourself then?

Pretty much, although i did have days in there where i ate decent amounts of food. On those days, the calories should have stuck to my hips like glue.
    I just can not fathom how an overweight or obese person can be starving themselves, they have plenty of fat stores to live off, until they don't and get an ideal weight.

@cgvet37 have you read this article? It explains it far better than i can. Please give it a chance and read it from beginning to end (it's not long). I would be interested to hear your views on it :smile:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/