Need some advice! Keep Cutting or start bulking?

Options
So I've started with a cut. I lost 23 lbs in 2 months but in this third month My weight hasn't really changed. I've somewhat been going off my diet. To lose the fat I did interminet fasting and stayed in a deficit with a 1400 calorie diet. I did HIIT for my workouts and sometimes lifted dumbbells at home. I went from 175 to 151lbs lightest. Now I've gained about 4lbs of probably some fat because I've been going of my diet and working a lot so no time to workout. I. Have a scale and it says I'm about 19%bf. I've also been having a bad habit of eating when I get home from work after my eating window is done which is late at night. Need advice on how to solve these I don't want to gain any more fat.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm kind of confused on what you're question really is. You don't want to gain any more fat, but you do know that a bulk also means fat gain, right? Also, if you plan on building muscle, you're going to need a progressive weight lifting program, not HIIT, or sometimes lifting a barbell.

Your rate of loss was pretty extreme to start with. I do not know your height, but you were losing almost 3lbs a week, and eating below what a short male should be consuming (1500cal). So I would not doubt that there was muscle loss in that alone.

Do you mind in clarifying what you actually want to do?
  • Kingvjackson
    Kingvjackson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes,I know u gain some fat while bulking. But I haven't been lifting or been doing any sort of hiit, just working and eating a bit carelessly without logging or tracking macros anymore. So I've been putting on some fat not muscle. I'm 5'8 and last time I weighted myself I was 154.8 lbs which was yesterday in the morning. My goal is to have a greek god body look. At 19%bf and around 154ish lbs should i keep cutting or start on bulk process to achieve the Greek god ?
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Even if you bulk super clean you are going to gain fat. No way around it. U lost a lot of weight fast bro and most was water and lean tissue. U need to figure out what u want to do. Can't do both at same time. Be careful cause eating 1400 cal and doing hit is a recipe for disaster. Will take u months to gain the lean tissue u lost
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes,I know u gain some fat while bulking. But I haven't been lifting or been doing any sort of hiit, just working and eating a bit carelessly without logging or tracking macros anymore. So I've been putting on some fat not muscle. I'm 5'8 and last time I weighted myself I was 154.8 lbs which was yesterday in the morning. My goal is to have a greek god body look. At 19%bf and around 154ish lbs should i keep cutting or start on bulk process to achieve the Greek god ?

First, it is often recommended for males to be 10-14% to start bulking. However, I am suspecting some unnecessary losses in muscle already due to your extreme weight loss. So I would recommend getting started on a progressive lifting program and possibly recomp for the time being, so eating at maintenance and lifting. It will be slow, but you aren't really at a point of bulking, but I don't think you should cut anymore.

It also should be noted that body fat measurements on scales are often inaccurate unless used simply as a trending tool.
  • Kingvjackson
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

First, it is often recommended for males to be 10-14% to start bulking. However, I am suspecting some unnecessary losses in muscle already due to your extreme weight loss. So I would recommend getting started on a progressive lifting program and possibly recomp for the time being, so eating at maintenance and lifting. It will be slow, but you aren't really at a point of bulking, but I don't think you should cut anymore.

It also should be noted that body fat measurements on scales are often inaccurate unless used simply as a trending tool.

Thank you for the help! I will take that advice and see how it goes!!
  • Kingvjackson
    Options
    BauerNXG wrote: »
    Even if you bulk super clean you are going to gain fat. No way around it. U lost a lot of weight fast bro and most was water and lean tissue. U need to figure out what u want to do. Can't do both at same time. Be careful cause eating 1400 cal and doing hit is a recipe for disaster. Will take u months to gain the lean tissue u lost

Okay thanks for looking out.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    19% is obese, if you want to look like a "greek god". Cut down to sub 10% and slowly bulk. 19% at 155lbs doesn't leave you with much muscle mass but you'll look much better when you're leaner.