Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't care what other people choose to wear, although I think it's always more dignified for a man to wear a shirt in public, unless you're at the pool or the beach, no matter how good you look. Little boys can go shirtless. I started keeping my shirt on when I was about 7. I'd give boys at least until age 10.
    Precisely the point. There is no debate about it. They sell all kinds of cotton shirts to combat hot weather.

There is debate about it, though. I don't feel the same as you. Someone asked up thread, would it be undignified for men to be shirtless on a beach or swimming?
  • Rehab_Nurse
    Rehab_Nurse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if someone runs with a shirt or not. However, it is safer for you to run in shirt as your sweat acts as a cooling system when it's hot out. My husband has always had a nice physique and NEVER does anything shirtless except at the beach. My 18 year old son is very much in shape and he too wears a shirt. If one is comfortable running without a shirt or in a sports bra, more power to them.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A neighbour of mine was walking home from work one hot day and took his shirt off to cool down. Shirtless with dress pants and a belt looked very odd to me. Otherwise I don't really notice.

ETA: generally, outside of the beach, the more attractive someone's body is, the more acceptable it is for them to show skin. Sad for overweight people and older people both, but I don't see that changing.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

When I was a teenager and woman in her early 20s, I do not recall being emotionally scarred by the sight of an exposed chest or back belonging to a man over 35. I'm really not sure why this is something you find so inappropriate. Maybe men just get hot, and it's not necessarily a form of peacocking?

I don't think that poster was implying that the young ladies would be emotionally scarred. He was implying that the 20 yr old girls (his daughters friends, presumably) would be ogling his hot dad body and talking amongst their friends in the neighborhood.

Roflmao.

Not ogling. Admiring. The human body can be an art form, in whatever shape or form. ;)
    Absolutely agree. I was commenting on the PP's PP :wink:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It isn't really a common sight where I live regardless of age or condition of the guy. I don't see guys hanging out shirtless outside, exercing shirtless outside or doing yard work shirtless much here. I never really thought about it.
  • KathL1972
    KathL1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

• KathL1972
    KathL1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You stated this perfectly....no shirt=totally not paying attention to others around you..& so much more.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Should men be wearing shirts at a public pool or beach, because of "the children"?

I do. Like Gallomere said, it's my public courtesy to prevent vomiting.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I personally do not judge what others do, but do I look when I crosses my eyes? Yes. Do I stare? Depends.. Eye candy always gets a second, third glance and a chubby runner with no shirt will always get a glance and maybe even an eye roll and the question of "Why"? But who cares.. I cannot do one thing about what others do, only my own reaction and if I choose to use class or not in how I deal with it.

If you have watched any Olympic Beach Volleyball, and seen the Brazil (female and men), they are just pretty to look at.. the others need to put on some clothes on, so hense eye roll and ask why, but I can choose to change the channel. ya???

I wear clothes too to prevent public mass vomiting, this will make me vomit if I see someone else vomit! :#

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    KathL1972 wrote: »
    You stated this perfectly....no shirt=totally not paying attention to others around you..& so much more.
    Why do you CARE if someone runs shirtless though? How is it impacting your life? They aren't hurting you or your children unless you're afraid of answering a question if they ask.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would prefer all men stay covered. I don't wanna see that. Women, on the other hand, can wear or (better yet) not wear whatever they like >:)

Seriously though, I don't understand the shirtless thing from a comfort standpoint. I hate the feeling of being covered in a sheen of sticky sweat (it's humid here in summer. Sweat doesn't evaporate, and our bodies have not adapted to figure out that when sweating fails to cool us in such conditions, sweating more doesn't help.) Wearing a shirt helps wick a lot of that away from the skin. Of course once the shirt becomes completely soaked it's equally as gross. But generally for me, the modest increase in air flow over the skin doesn't offset the increased intensity of the sun hitting it.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Personally, I would prefer all men stay covered. I don't wanna see that. Women, on the other hand, can wear or (better yet) not wear whatever they like >:)

Seriously though, I don't understand the shirtless thing from a comfort standpoint. I hate the feeling of being covered in a sheen of sticky sweat (it's humid here in summer. Sweat doesn't evaporate, and our bodies have not adapted to figure out that when sweating fails to cool us in such conditions, sweating more doesn't help.) Wearing a shirt helps wick a lot of that away from the skin. Of course once the shirt becomes completely soaked it's equally as gross. But generally for me, the modest increase in air flow over the skin doesn't offset the increased intensity of the sun hitting it.

Sweat doesn't evaporate.
    Mkay.