Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

how utterly projective of you.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

how utterly projective of you.

Precisely.
    Also ironic. Makes a ludicrous post about people who don't exercise in old T-shirts being desperate for attention in order to get attention herself..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Haha
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I run shirtless otherwise my nips get rubbed raw

I had a friend that had nip problems...his were pierced and whenever he went in a pit at a show he'd tape snapple caps over them to keep them from getting pulled out.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about dress code in the beach. There is a time and place for shedding the clothes and when you are in a beach, it's completely appropriate as 90% of the crowd is either in the water or enjoying the shores.

And it's 100% appropriate to be in my yard, front or back, shirt off, with a whisky in one hand, a steak in the other and a cigar in my mouth, while my nipples get sun and my back hair gets wind kissed.......

If you were mowing your lawn "shirt off, with a whisky in one hand, a steak in the other and a cigar in my mouth, while my nipples get sun and my back hair gets wind kissed" I'd be quite impressed and might stop to watch a bit, with a sense of wonder and awe.

I'm not mowing, I'm supervising my teenage boys while they mow......
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

So because you are running around in baggy clothes judging other people, you are better than the guy running shirtless minding his own business?

Where did say I was better? Some people love getting attention, other aren't fussed about it or want/need it, i just happen to fall in the latter category.

There are two kinds of people in the world: People who believe there are (only) two kinds of people in the world, and those who know there are more. ( ;) in case y'all need one.)

Some people don't want/need attention, but prefer to have less clothing hanging around their bodies. As long as they keep it legal, seems like their business. Pretty sure my (at least 50 pounds overweight) neighbor isn't out there shirtless on his riding mower because he wants attention. Either way, I don't GAF.

Me, I wear stuff. Cover-y stuff. Almost never shorts, even. But I've had folks tell me (not as a personal critique) that women shouldn't wear leggings in public without a tunic over them, yet I do it all the time. Loose pants get caught in the rowing shell seat tracks, and I'm not going to change clothes just to stop at the grocery store on the way home.

And no sports bras for me (no bras at all), or even tank tops. T-shirts. I'm female, and don't even have nipples (anymore), let alone breasts, but I bet I'd still get arrested if I didn't wear a top. Not why I wear one, though. Simple preference. Also cotton, even when I sweat (which is often). Just hate the way tech fabrics feel all plastic-y on my skin. Ick.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You guys need to go live near the equator for awhile. Lots of people went around shirtless in doing just daily chores and activities. Lol, it wasn't uncommon when I lived on an island for people to come into the grocery store shirtless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    people roll their guts out at the beach its a public place. why should jogging be any different.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I personally hate having to drench my body in sunscreen. I do wear tank tops since my arms tan so freaking easily even with sun screen, but I don't think I'd risk the rest of my body. And I find wearing a shirt more comfortable than trying to sweat through sun screen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You guys need to go live near the equator for awhile. Lots of people went around shirtless in doing just daily chores and activities. Lol, it wasn't uncommon when I lived on an island for people to come into the grocery store shirtless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I was in Cartagena, Colombia in May...lots of people walking around doing their day to day with no shirts. We stayed in a little village outside of the city and all the guys just hung out at this little bar shirtless and sweaty and drinking beer...it was like a gazillion degrees there...I didn't have a shirt on very often either.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Olympic athletes in front of the world like that...
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about dress code in the beach. There is a time and place for shedding the clothes and when you are in a beach, it's completely appropriate as 90% of the crowd is either in the water or enjoying the shores.

And it's 100% appropriate to be in my yard, front or back, shirt off, with a whisky in one hand, a steak in the other and a cigar in my mouth, while my nipples get sun and my back hair gets wind kissed.......

At some point, you'll need to put one of those things down. Carefully...
  • Im_that_bad_guy
    Im_that_bad_guy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can't run shirtless because of age and/or overweight doesn't that apply to the beach also? After all its still public?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

At some point, you'll need to put one of those things down. Carefully...

Dexterity FTW.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like to see chunkier people running around jiggling?? I'm not saying this like I care one way or the other. If you are fine with your extra meat flapping around, more power to you. A lot of people are a bit more critical of this sort of display, however. That simple.