Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    i can't think of anything more uncomfortable than running in baggy clothes. hot or cold temps, doesn't matter.

Right? That's how I get chaffing. I run in fitted clothes because chafing sucks.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    i can't think of anything more uncomfortable than running in baggy clothes. hot or cold temps, doesn't matter.

Right? That's how I get chaffing. I run in fitted clothes because chafing sucks.

I started running way before tights and leggings were everyday wear. I was so self conscious to wear them because I wasn't used to the look and all my pants were boot cut or wider. And then one particularly cold race a friend lent me a pair of running tights and life changed. I cannot imagine running in loose pants anymore especially in snow or rain. Tight shorts are the only reason I can wear shorts and not have my legs chafe. I can't stand the feel of a loose wet shirt.
    Everything I wear running comes down to comfort and functionality. And to avoid chafing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We live in the pits of hell where you have to swim through the air. It's rare to see people fully clothed exercising outside because...ugh. I have no problem with it and don't think people are showing off, just awfully hot. When my husband and I run super early, a lot of times I will just wear a sports bra and shorts. If its later and more people around, I'll usually wear a tank over. When I bike home from work, I find it's cooler to wear a cotton shirt and soak it in water.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Personally it's a comfort level thing for me. I mean I'm not a man, but I work out in a tank top and compression pants because that's how I feel comfy. If a man feels comfy without a shirt, or a woman prefers to run in a sports bra then more power to them. It doesn't bother me, it's just not for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    doo7mpyhweqh.jpg

This repulsive!! LOL

Just to see it again.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that there were so many prudes still in existence. I guess I live in a shirtless bubble.

I believe it's jealousy for a lot of people...

• Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Shirts are for other people. It's a 105 outside, no shirt for me. My goal in life is to only put a shirt on if I want to to. Not cause I have to.

you can be like my Uncle Andy- literally the only time I've seen him wear a shirt is when we go out to dinner, and at funerals!

I feel like I need to meet this guy. Sounds like my kinda dude.

• Hornsby
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm going to run naked.

I would but I don't want to knock myself unconscious :D

Same!

Just saw this.... been laughing for 5 minutes... @DavPul
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I am baffled this is even here and more baffled that it has seven pages of replies. I can't believe anyone cares what other people are wearing to work out.

Literally the only time I've considered someone else's exercise clothes is when someone next to me at the gym smells like they've been wearing the same outfit for a week of workouts, or if I see another woman wearing something really cute.

I run in a tech tee and running tights because I sunburn easily and even "sport" sunblock doesn't always save me from such a fate so I try to cover as much skin as I can stand, but I can honestly say I've never really thought twice about what someone else was wearing running outdoors as they pass me on a path, unless they seem to be really unusually dressed for the weather.

I did run one of those Hypothermic Half Marathons last winter and was a little surprised to see a few shirtless men and ladies in shorts and sports bras in a Canadian February, but hey, you do you, tough people.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I have a question on this thread:

When it is hot (over 90*) and humid (dew point over 70*) is it better, from a cooling perspective, to wear a technical fabric shirt or to go as shirtless as local convention allows. I always thought that the new fabric shirts were better at keeping you cool in hot humid conditions. From a cooling, it's too dam* hot to run perspective, is this wrong?

I believe you are correct. At least I'm certainly more comfortable with a shirt than without.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I am baffled this is even here and more baffled that it has seven pages of replies. I can't believe anyone cares what other people are wearing to work out.

Literally the only time I've considered someone else's exercise clothes is when someone next to me at the gym smells like they've been wearing the same outfit for a week of workouts, or if I see another woman wearing something really cute.

I run in a tech tee and running tights because I sunburn easily and even "sport" sunblock doesn't always save me from such a fate so I try to cover as much skin as I can stand, but I can honestly say I've never really thought twice about what someone else was wearing running outdoors as they pass me on a path, unless they seem to be really unusually dressed for the weather.

I did run one of those Hypothermic Half Marathons last winter and was a little surprised to see a few shirtless men and ladies in shorts and sports bras in a Canadian February, but hey, you do you, tough people.

that was exactly the race the my friend went in a tank top. And the same one I first wore running tights too. So cold.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I run shirtless otherwise my nips get rubbed raw
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

But your wearing one in your profile pic?

Im at the gym.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if someone is in public with a shirt off. Heck, I live in Florida, beachside. I see it all the time. Im referring to the males, although the females here expose a lot as well but again, it's the beach and there's even a nudist beach down by the Florida Keys.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    While running=true do:

begin
    IF Forgot nip guards but have sun blocker then Run shirtless
    else if Forgot sun blocker but have nip guards then Run with sleeved shirt
    else if Have sun blocker and have nip guards then Run with tank top
    end;

/thread

Thanks for the pointers!

I remembered the nip guards(bra) and the sun blocker and ran shirtless! OMG It was 4 mile trail run in the blazing sun. I did wear a dorky hat.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've known people (my brother in law, a former neighbor) who looked so repulsive shirtless it could almost be considered assault. I would certainly not try to mandate that such people wear a shirt in public (I'm too libertarian for that to sit well), but yet I would hope that people in my shape or worse would have the common decency to not subject others to their flabby rolls.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    While running=true do:

begin
    end;

/thread

Thanks for the pointers!

I remembered the nip guards(bra) and the sun blocker and ran shirtless! OMG It was 4 mile trail run in the blazing sun. I did wear a dorky hat.

As long as you had a dorky hat, no one would be looking at your chest.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    While running=true do:

begin
    end;

/thread

Thanks for the pointers!

As long as you had a dorky hat, no one would be looking at your chest.

Hence the dorky hat. It helped a lot!!