Sports Bra Advice Needed

Options
So I have a very large bust which has caused a lot of upper back strain and neck issues. My current size is a 38H so finding good sports bras has always been an issue. Either there is not enough support or they just don't fit right.
I went to a specialty bra store that sells custom sizes and found a bra that really gave great support so I was excited about it. It cost an arm and a leg but I know it is a needed investment if I want to actually participate in exercising and all without my breasts bouncing around and causing all sorts of pain.
Yesterday I wore my bra while exercising (did some yoga stretches and then an aerobic dance video) and the bra seemed to hold up super great, no unwanted bouncing or anything.

Today I wake up with these horrible muscle spasms in my upper back and shoulder. Terrible headache as well. I go to take a shower and there appears to be ecchymotic areas all on my shoulders where the straps were.
The straps didn't feel too tight at all and the bra felt comfortable.
So I'm not sure what to do. The pain has persisted all day and I took some antiinflammatory meds with no relief. I put ice and it doesn't seem to be helping.

These exercises were really not high impact at all so I don't know what the deal is. Does anyone have any advice about sports bras for larger busts? Any brands that didn't murder your shoulders? I literally did this video for about a half an hour and there was only like 2 minutes of jumping around. I'm pretty frustrated.

Replies

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible! I feel for you. I'm now a 32GG but I was a 34H. Mine don't cause any pain, I use a panache underwired bra (cheaper on Amazon, but still pretty expensive). I don't have to have the straps super tight. Not sure where you are and this is a UK site but a lot of brands are international (they also post!) so might be worth a look at.

www.boobydoo.co.uk

They have quite a few in your size and high impact!

http://www.boobydoo.co.uk/all-products?back_size=438&cup_size=452&impact=81

There's also been a few similar posts on MFP that might have some more useful information.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only thing that I can think of is that you are wearing the wrong size. As a well endowed person myself I feel your pain when it comes to straps digging in and causing serious pain. I am in the middle of my weight loss I needed to buy new sports bras recently because my previous ones had bands too big, since I lost 34 lbs. Here is a good link for a bra size calculator, it made my life so much easier! Remember that the band is supposed to be 80% of your support and the straps are not supposed to be so tight that you see a significant indent in the tops of your shoulders when you put it on.
    sophisticatedpair.com/bra-size-calculator/

Here is where I purchased my brasbarenecessities.com/
    they do sell internationally so make sure you check the sizing charts (the bras i bought were a UK brand so I had to make sure I chose the corresponding size)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am a 44DD, this is the only bra I have tried that holds them good and is pretty comfortable and doesn't give me uniboob. I wear it racer back style as I find it puts less strain on everything. But, this means putting it on and taking it off over my head, which hasn't been all that bad. They often have sales for 40% off. I got mine for $26.50! They have your size!

http://www.lanebryant.com/plus-size-active/sports-bras/20233c20242/index.cat
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The best sports bra I ever got that sidesteps the whole straps issue was the "last resort" bra I got from Title 9. It's more like a vest that does up in the front, no narrow straps to dig into your shoulders. I don't wear it all the time because it's quite a bit warmer than wearing a regular bra. But if you have a very large, heavy chest, this is the best thing ever.
  • ievent
    ievent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Lynx Sports Wear, they may not be fashionable, but they are highly supportive and comfortable! They come in a wide variety of sizes too!
  • Fecteau40
    Fecteau40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice on a good sports bra.

First off, I'm a man with severe gynecomastia ( meaning female like breasts on a man ). I currently wear a bra for most day to day activities. I wear a 36G in most of my bras. I'm looking to be more active to try and reduce my breast size. However, I know that a good sports bra will probably be necessary to keep the "girls " in check.

I'm trying to figure out a starting point. Should I try an encapsulating sports bra or a compression type? Which bras will give me the best "control "? Is there a bra that's not as noticeable? Is underwire better than no wire bras? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Panache sports bras are my favorite. I have three and wear them every day. As in, I never wear a "regular" bra :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Fecteau40 I assume your goal is to diminish rather than enhance your girls. In your case a uniboob may be a better look. So go for the compression and stay away from the underwire.

Oh, and for less noticeable, go for flesh coloured.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I never wear sports bras and I'm a D. I guess it's because I don't really care if they bounce or not since I workout indoors. They do cause me back pain regardless but that's something that won't really go away until I lose a bit of weight. Maybe it would be worth it to get a compression bra just so they're at least diminished.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    "Maia" has padded straps, molded cups and underwire. They are sold at running stores.

Another alternative to consider would be breast reduction. Many women are extremely satisfied with surgical reductions. Your insurance may cover the surgery if you are at or near your goal weight. On the otherhand, if you have quite a few pounds to lose, that may be one of the first places to go.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    the pain is more than likely from having bad posture and the wearing the wrong size bra. make an effort to keep your shoulders away from your ears and back, tuck in your tail bone a bit and keep your abs tight to help brace the lower back. for the straps to be digging in like that you are probably wearing a band size too large. I'd say get fitted at a reputable lingerie shop, especially one that knows that after a certain cup size (i think D), they shouldn't add 2" to the band size measurement because that ends up creating instances where the bands are too big and the straps dig into the skin because they are being pulled downwards by bodacious tatas

as for sports bras, i also recommend the panache ones they only go up to H, but I'm J or sometimes JJ and they work well for me. I especially like that I can make it into racerback which gives even more support for high impact activities.
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Glamorise, but they only go up to G, so you'll have to try the 40G. I like the "Ultimate Sports bra" best.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I recommend Enell: http://enell.com/enell-sport.html. They will custom make you a bra if you don't fit into their standard sizes.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I wear an Anita bra and love it. They come in a very wide range of sizes. They are so comfortable and "normal" looking that sometimes I wear them as regular bras even when I'm not exercising. Expensive, but worth it, and you can often find bargains online. I'd go to a store and get fitted, though, if I were you, and pay full-price for one good sports bra, then look for multiples online. It does sound as if you're wearing the wrong size. Also agree that if you're having back and neck issues regularly, you may want to look into breast reduction eventually. I had it done years ago and I'm glad every day that I did.