Overweight Running and Knee Pain

Options
A question for you overweight runners out there. I've been having horrible knee pain after running for two months now. Until now, I have just sucked it up and delt with it. However, in the last two weeks the pain has gone from the day after running to hurting all the time.

A little background: I started running in March of this year at 183lbs (this weight is technically just in the obese category for my height). I worked through a couch to 5k program (slowly, very slowly) and stayed at a 5k milage three times a week for two months. I am now down to 169lbs and trying to bump up my milage to 10k. I am following the Zen Labs app plan. I don't want to give up but... I have been having horrible knee pain! I was fitted for shoes and insert at a fancy/expensive running store two weeks ago - it helped some. I was wearing shoes a size to small!

I don't want to stop running. Help! Running has given me better sleep, more energy, healthier eating habits, etc. I can't eat like crap and expect to run well the next day.

Any knee saving tips? Knee braces? Stretches? I go to a yoga class once a week but it is not helping this pain.... Is it just my weight and running? I am no longer obese but well into the "overweight" range on the Doctor charts.

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Stop running if you're having pain. Make an appointment with an orthopedist.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    See a doctor or physical therapist, you may have tendinitis or some other issue that needs to be addressed before you cause yourself serious damage.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I also get pain in my right knee. I believe it's ligament strain. I wear a knee pad..and it tightens it up and doesn't bother me too much.

I then use biofreeze on it if it starts to hurt too much. I also back off the jogging a bit and keep it to a fast walk if I have to.

I'd have it checked with a Dr. I had mine checked last year..Dr found nothing seriously wrong, but they can't always detect sprains or certain inflammations.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been there. I started having knee problems a few months into Couch to 5k, and still occasionally have trouble. I had to do physical therapy and I stopped running for a while, but eventually I did start running again. My right kneecap does not track correctly and can put pressure on the tendon, but now I know what to do to help.

I agree that seeing a doctor is the first step, and I would advise taking a break from running until you can see a doctor. Continuing to run with knee pain can cause more damage. All of my other advice is stuff that helps my specific injury, so it may or may not do anything for you.

Try icing your knee. This should decrease swelling and hopefully will help with the pain. Remember RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300070

Depending on your specific injury, your doctor might suggest a brace of some sort. I had a custom brace, but now when I have knee pain, I use a compression sleeve that I picked up at my local running store. I no longer run with a brace, since I generally don't need it and it does restrict movement a lot, but I run in compression tights that provide a little bit of extra support for the knee. I like Under Armor compression gear, but there are other brands. There is some debate about how much benefit compression tights offer, but I feel like they're helpful for me.

Your shoes may also be contributing to knee problems. If you haven't been professionally fitted for running shoes, then after seeing your doctor, I would go to a running store for a fitting.

My specific problem is linked to tight and weak quads/IT band. I started focusing on strength training once the pain had subsided enough to do that. Foam rolling that area helps me a lot, but may not help with a different injury. Still, it's a good habit for runners to get into. If you don't have a foam roller yet, or if it hurts too much to use (this was the case right after my injury), you can roll out tight muscles using a rolling pin or tennis ball: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/self-massage-the-runners-way

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Where exactly is the knee pain?
    Side of your knee?
    Under your knee cap?
    On the tendon below your knee cap?
    Back of the knee?
    I suspect you may have over use injury, ignoring it won't help.
    See a doc, get a referral.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I actually fractured my tibia doing the couch to 5k while obese last year. I still have issues with it today so I can't run.

Please go see a dr until then RICE rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate and don't run on it until you see a dr. You may go to a sports dr if you can go without a referral.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I don't want to stop running. Help! Running has given me better sleep, more energy, healthier eating habits, etc.

Many, many other forms of exercise can do that. For me, it's strength training and boxing. Diversity is good when it comes to fitness. :+1:

Before running again, get your running form assessed at a sports medicine clinic / sports physical therapist.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    dont run with knee pain. Try something less impact until you can see a doctor, maybe bike or elliptical, provided there isn't pain. and running while overweight is really hard on your knees.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I am currently in physical therapy due to knee pain that I ignored, and now I'm missing out on the half marathon I paid for and sometimes can't even walk.

Do not ignore it. Make an appointment with a doctor. At the very least, they will truly analyze your gait. In my case, I found that my form was horrid, my pelvis is misaligned to make my right side longer, and my left femur is longer than my right. So right now, I'm not even sure if I will be able to run long distance anymore.

Point being, you want to get this checked out before it becomes a bigger problem. Especially if it has been consistently painful over an extend period of time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any knee saving tips?

The knee is a complex joint, so advice from here could end up making the problem worse.

Sources of knee pain can be your gait, overextending your stride, core strength, glute strength, wear and tear or a myriad other sources.

Best bet is to see a physio who can advise on the source and treatment. I'd suggest a physio rather than a GP, as it's likely that you'll just get stop running from a GP whereas a physio will work on getting you back on the road again.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    See a doctor or physical therapist and then get a bike. Biking is good for knees. Best wishes to you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Aesop101 wrote: »
    See a doctor or physical therapist and then get a bike. Biking is good for knees. Best wishes to you.

And that's really the point about it being complex. Cycling is contraindicated for some knee injuries.

Becky James, last night's silver medalist in the Olympic Keiren was nearly relegated from cycling due to a knee injury.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    To reiterate. Stop running. See a physio. Take their advice whilst considering incorporating some cross training into your regime to prevent any and all injuries that come from imbalances and weaknesses. That may not be the issue here but prevention always better than the cure position you are in now.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have said, stop running and see a doctor. Unless you've had a prior knee injury, your pain may very well be from weakness in the hips/glutes resulting in poor form.

Here is a sample article on the topic:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/5-simple-solutions-for-anterior-knee-pain
    http://life.gaiam.com/article/best-ways-ease-knee-pain-5-tips-physical-therapist
    http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spitb.html

Do not wear some random strap/brace etc. If one is needed get the advice from a medical professional.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    see a doctor and if you have access to a pool, try pool running. it's awesome. you still get the cardio benefits but it's little impact (if you run in the shallow end and can touch the bottom) or no impact if you can do it in the deep end