Suggested Bike Accessories/Tools?

Options
I'm about to buy a new bike as a reward for one of the weight loss goals I set myself. First one I'll have owned in over 30 years. Other than a helmet, left over from roller derby, I have zero maintenance items/accessories/tools. I have already picked out a local bike shop and I'll ask them for their suggestions, obviously, but I'd also like to have my own list to compare with their suggestions. I've been told they don't work on commission so that's probably a good thing. :wink: Other than a pump and a lock, what other items are a good idea to get as a first time (adult) bike owner? I'm looking at getting a hybrid that will just be ridden recreationally on paved trails. No mountain biking/work commuting involved. Thanks.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My first thought was bike shorts with a chamois. Good ones.

Um. Allen key set if that is what your bike uses. A flat kit.

Honestly I went forever without having a flat kit but it really sucked when I got my first flat 10k away from home and couldn't get ahold of anyone. But you also have to know how to do it too.

• nfelkel
    nfelkel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey so I just got a bike a few weeks ago. I got a Trek FX series 7.1 ... I really love it. It was the cheapest hybrid / good quality.

Obviously some water bottle racks are important. I enjoy having a cell phone holder for music (my friend says it's also awesome for Pokémon Go). I got different grips that are more ergonomic just Cuz I'm riding for 1-2 hrs.

Glasses to keep bugs out of my eye. Then depending on the weather you might wanna see what clothes are best.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options

Honestly I went forever without having a flat kit but it really sucked when I got my first flat 10k away from home and couldn't get ahold of anyone. But you also have to know how to do it too.

I think I still have enough natural padding to hold off on that. *shudder* I understand the logic, but it doesn't change how they look to me. LOL
  • nfelkel
    nfelkel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say an Allen key set too. Good call!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I think I still have enough natural padding to hold off on that. *shudder* I understand the logic, but it doesn't change how they look to me. LOL

You may have some padding there but often it isn't where it needs to be.
    Also keep in mind that you can buy the chamois short that you can wear under your own loose shorts. Or you can get bike skirts with the chamois shorts under. Or even loose shorts with the chamois under. Lots of options that aren't your typical tight shorts.
    It makes a HUGE difference.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

You may have some padding there but often it isn't where it needs to be.
    Also keep in mind that you can buy the chamois short that you can wear under your own loose shorts. Or you can get bike skirts with the chamois shorts under. Or even loose shorts with the chamois under. Lots of options that aren't your typical tight shorts.
    It makes a HUGE difference.

*sigh* But, but, it's easier when I lie to myself and say I don't need them. LOL. I'll probably get some and use them as 'underwear'. Heh

While I do have about 60 pounds still left to lose (creeping up on 100 so far) I keep finding bones that I didn't know I had. It's weird. LOL. My built in cushioning is definitely not as effective as it used to be.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    My pump for home has a gauge on it-very handy. My pump I ride with is very small. I also carry a spare tube with me. I use cycling gloves, and I wear "clipless" shoes that fasten on my pedals (or at least try the cages for your foot) and the best accessory is joinng a recreational bike club.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Other than a pump and a lock, what other items are a good idea to get as a first time (adult) bike owner? I'm looking at getting a hybrid that will just be ridden recreationally on paved trails. No mountain biking/work commuting involved. Thanks.

You don't need bike shorts for recreational riding. I imagine you won't be going on a 20 mile ride your first day out. Of course they are more comfortable, but I never wear them. I'm using my bike to run errands and see some clients, most only a mile or two, and occasionally up to 10 miles in a day. And I have a flat butt!

Lights are good, even if it's daytime. get a rear red one for sure.

Get a bell. It's not only super fun, but alerts wayward walkers, parents w/strollers & phone, pokeman zombies, etc.
    Even to ring at people you know.. get a bell!

Have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Other than a pump and a lock, what other items are a good idea to get as a first time (adult) bike owner?

So on the ride I have a small pack that sits under my seat to hold some repair essentials. You could also get a container that'll sit in a cage to do the same thing. In there I have; Tyre levers, spare tubes, inflator (either a small rocket pump or a CO2 inflator), a combination tool with allen keys, chain punch, screwdriver heads.

I also generally carry a 750ml bidon, and would recommend a bar mount for your phone.

In general; helmet, glasses with appropriate or interchangeable lenses, gloves, cycle shorts or padded liners.

As far as set up is concerned, spend the time making sure you're comfortable on the ride, if the shop will help with that then it's a bonus. Personally I take the bell off any bike I get, I tend to find using my voice a bit friendlier with pedestrians; "good morning", "excuse me please" etc.

I have 4 bikes, so four repair kits, with different size tubes.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bag to go under the saddle to carry: puncture repair kit (patches & levers), multi tool, spare inner tube.
    Disposable gloves are handy to stop your hands getting filthy when you have to make repairs.

I like a bag that sits on the top tube for phone, food, credit card, money, keys. I carry as little as possible on my body but an alternative is a cycle top with back pockets. Gloves/mitts are a good idea to reduce road shock and protect your hands in case of a spill. Good sunglasses to keep the bugs out.

Pumps come in many varieties - I like one that doubles as a CO2 canister converter and manual pump but that's overkill for short recreational rides.

Bottle cage and drink bottle.
    Bell comes across as more friendly than shouting "Oi" when you share trails with pedestrians. :)

Lights - I use mine on every ride, bright blinking lights help drivers pick you out earlier.

Strava free app on your phone records your rides and gives a very rough calorie estimate. Comparing your efforts can be very motivational.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Multi Tool
    Tire Levers
    Track pump
    Co2 inflator and Co2 tanks
    Chain Breaker
    Saddle Bag
    Head light
    Tail light

I would also highly recommend finding a local bike shop that does beginner rides, or clinics on how to work on/adjust simple items.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Other than a pump and a lock, what other items are a good idea to get as a first time (adult) bike owner?

So on the ride I have a small pack that sits under my seat to hold some repair essentials. You could also get a container that'll sit in a cage to do the same thing. In there I have; Tyre levers, spare tubes, inflator (either a small rocket pump or a CO2 inflator), a combination tool with allen keys, chain punch, screwdriver heads.

I also generally carry a 750ml bidon, and would recommend a bar mount for your phone.

In general; helmet, glasses with appropriate or interchangeable lenses, gloves, cycle shorts or padded liners.

As far as set up is concerned, spend the time making sure you're comfortable on the ride, if the shop will help with that then it's a bonus. Personally I take the bell off any bike I get, I tend to find using my voice a bit friendlier with pedestrians; "good morning", "excuse me please" etc.

I have 4 bikes, so four repair kits, with different size tubes.
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Multi Tool
    Tire Levers
    Track pump
    Chain Breaker
    Saddle Bag
    Head light
    Tail light

I would also highly recommend finding a local bike shop that does beginner rides, or clinics on how to work on/adjust simple items.

Yup. These. Definitely some lighting. You never know. And, depending on where you live, ask about tire slime, or kevlar liners. If you live in a sticker/thorn prone area.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't done anything about it, I've been eyeing these cycling classes at REI for quite a while:
    -- Bike Maintenance Basics, Level 1
    -- Bike Maintenance Basics, Level 2

Someday! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    janettles wrote: »
    Although I haven't done anything about it, I've been eyeing these cycling classes at REI for quite a while:
    -- Bike Maintenance Basics, Level 1
    -- Bike Maintenance Basics, Level 2

Someday! :smile:

We took them. Very user friendly.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Cool! Good to know. Thanks!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Multi Tool
    Tire Levers
    Track pump
    Chain Breaker
    Saddle Bag
    Head light
    Tail light

Clinics and/or other hands on for repairs is a really good suggestion IMO. No sense in carrying tools you don't know how to use, and really most bike repairs and maintenance items are fairly easy. The more you know, the better off you are. Even with a good LBS, I find it's much quicker to do it myself. The time it takes me to drop off my bike at the LBS is 3 to 4 times the time needed to do the repair or adjustment myself.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling! Ditto the suggestions above (especially learning to change a tire/basic bike maintenance) and add a plug for a bike skirt (bike shorts under a skirt). The section between my mid thighs and belly button is my least favorite body section and bike skirts are wonderful covers.

When you get on the road, check out the monthly cycling thread in the cycling section - we love anyone on a bike :smiley:
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll compare it to what they suggest and see what I can afford up front. May have to space some of it out.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Just thought of a question. I've worn contacts almost my entire life for seeing long distance (nearsighted), but in the last two years my "reading vision" no longer cooperates with the corrected vision so I've been wearing my prescription glasses most of the time now. For cycling I could go the easy route and just put the contacts back in and use the normal safety glasses, but I have seen that they do make "over-prescription" safety glasses. Are those any good or just more to worry about?