Ladies... What is Curves like?

Options
I have a consultation there on Tuesday. Is it worth going and signing up? What all do they offer, how much is it really, what's included and is it worth it?

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves. It's like going to the gym lite. It's circuit training on machines that don't have weight, where you do each machine in the circuit for a minute or 2, then go to a mat, where you can stretch, or run in place, or where I went they had Jillian Michaels videos you could do. It takes 30 minutes. If the ladies are chatty, it goes longer. I thought it was ok, but it wasn't enough of a workout for me. I got 3 months for free then quit. The women were nice, but totally different age range (I'm mid 40s, there were a lot of older women there).
    It's probably good if you've never worked out before and like company while you're doing it. If you're experienced, I don't think it is enough.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I wasn't very impressed with it. It might be good for someone just starting out though. I just found the resistance of the machines to be minimal for me and I didn't feel like I really worked out afterwards.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    My neighbor used to go...she was 90. It suited that demographic well.
  • Lesleyamk
    Lesleyamk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went years ago - it was fun and very social. The 'instructors' don't really instruct though, and I ended up with a herniated disc from bad positioning and "high-knee running-on-the-spot".
  • chels41292
    chels41292 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! Sounds like something in not interested in then. I need something that pushes me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not posting this to start a political debate, just to give you a heads up--they do donate a large portion of their money to controversial groups. If this matters to you, I encourage you to google it. If not, carry on.

That would actually make this a debate thread!

My mother liked it, but she was in her 60s and the group at her Curves, anyway, was women in their 60s intimidated by weights.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I found it very expensive and didn't provide good results.
    My Curves actually scolded me for having a higher heart rate during my work out. They didn't want us to sweat. It was awkward. I went with my mom as a teen.. they limited us to 3 visits per week. Overall just odd. The machines only had one resistance. It may have changed since I was in high school but I wouldn't go back.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My mum went n her 60s, most women were similar ages and sizes, very chatty and all went for tea and cakes afterwards! she enjoyed it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My wife went for a while. The one she went to was not good. Tryed to tell her to go off prescription medications! Her doc had a cow! I'm sure that was an isolated incident but be careful.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had a free month, and it was nice to have a planned workout, but after a couple days, it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to get much out of it. You can't really increase the difficulty of any of the workouts. So I'd say it's great for a beginner to feel comfortable in a gym and using equipment, good for people who need low resistance, low-key workouts, but not good if you're looking to really be active.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    My neighbor used to go...she was 90. It suited that demographic well.

Snort :open_mouth:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    To me, it wasn't worth the price in the long-run but it definitely helped get me in the habit of working out, especially since I was very uncomfortable in a regular gym at the time, and because 30 minutes isn't a ton of time to take out of my day. I also liked that it was low-impact. I stopped following the meal plan after a few months just because I was overwhelmed with wedding planning, but it actually was a very reasonable plan and I found tons of great recipes that I use to this day. I lost an average of 1-3 lbs a week following the food plan and circuits, and I lost inches as well (can't remember how much- it's been a couple years).

The challenges were fun too- I don't know if every Curves does that but we'd have challenges for prizes. It helped keep us motivated and it was fun. I stopped going two years ago because of the cost but my former coach is actually one of my closest friends and now we do 5K's together!

I think the thing with Curves is- you get out of it what you put in. Yes, technically 60+ year old women can do the circuit without breaking a sweat. But what is that argument? That if something CAN be easy, then it's crap? What about swimming? That's something that can be an easy, lazy thing to do if that's how someone chooses to swim, and it's also something elderly and/or disabled people can do. Does that mean it inevitably sucks as a workout?

Personally, I pushed myself as hard as possible at Curves. I was always sweating, breathing hard, and tired by the end. I do think it depends on the location though. Mine was great. The coaches were always SO friendly but they did push us if we wanted to be pushed. That's the same as any gym though- at the end of the day it's up to you to push yourself. Not even a personal trainer can force that from you. I would absolutely do Curves again if it were more affordable.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Because it was brought up, with no real details, here's what Snopes has to say about the Curves/politics connection.

The founder of Curves donated a considerable amount of his private money to a pro-life crisis pregnancy organization in 2003. Two highly skewed articles covering this in a manner that grossly misrepresented the donation and the business connection were published in The San Francisco Chronicle . The newspaper had to publish a very long apology and correction for many factual errors. However the gross misrepresentations of those articles persist.
    All this is by way of saying that while it's correct to identify Gary Heavin as a patron of pro-life endeavors, it would not be right to point to Curves as a supporter of those same causes.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @amyrebecca I didn't report you. I provided a generally accepted unbiased source to assist anyone curious about the topic. "Do your research" is some if the worst advice possible.
  • Stacey1076
    Stacey1076 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I belonged for a few years and am considering rejoining. Like another poster said, you get what you put into it. It's not as fancy as a regular gym. I liked the circuit and enjoyed the classes. They offered Zumba classes with the circuit and different body toning classes. The Jillian Michaels classes were challenging. There's also an awesome stretching machine. I wasn't a fan of the food plan that they suggested for weight loss, but loved the workout.

The only thing I really didn't like was the limited hours. They closed from 1-3 pm during the week. It's a 30 minute workout, give or take a few minutes. I always worked out while my children were in school. If I couldn't get there by a little after 12, I was out of luck for the day. Now that my kids will be in middle school at a later time, I'm considering rejoining.

My Curves had great coaches. They were enthusiastic about the brand and the workout. I love that it was all women and there was great camaraderie among the women. The women were a bit older (I'm a few weeks shy of 40 and many were my mother's age), but everyone was friendly.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My mom used to go and has even gone in a few cities. She did find that there were some huge variances in how things were run from gym to gym. Differences in classes, promotions, instructor involvement were pretty common.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I worked there for about 2 years. Circuit training works but like others say, you have to work at it. The machines have light resistance so if you want to tax muscles, yes, a weight regime would be better.

BUT .... circuit training with an increased heart rate ie really jogging or running on the spot for 2 minutes between the machines and getting as many reps on a machine as you can in 2 minutes can make the workout quite demanding for 30 minutes. Coaches can be good or not, as in all employees. We encouraged at least 3 times a week and called if you did not come in for awhile. That is worth something. Got a number back on track.

My opinion is, if you do go, check the club at the time you would normally go. If it is a social chit chat, maybe not. Ask if there is a time when people really work up a sweat. Then you know whether your schedule will mix with what is on offer. And ask about the training of the coaches both first aid/CPR and fitness training. This holds true for all fitness clubs, not just Curves.