How I got started...

Options

Three things...

1- I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, my doctor hooked me up with a CPAP machine and it changed my life. If you wake up tired and with headaches, I would strongly recommend looking into it.

2- Don't eat anything after 6p. It really works, you'll eat less and have more time to process what you've eaten. If you need something late at night, have a jolly rancher or a werthers original.

3- Go on a walk after dinner, try to build up to 2 miles a day.

4- Turn your "I can'ts" into "I couldn'ts", example: I can't walk 2 miles, to I couldn't walk 2 miles.

It gets easier, but then you'll want more and do more.

Add me please, and best wishes.

Replies

• chey365
    chey365 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good advice! ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A CPAP machine is an amazing device... My husband uses one and basically we all get sleep in my house now! .

Good post! :):)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    All excellent thoughts except number 2. Number 2 is completely false. Meal timing is irrelevant :-) it's all about the calorie defict, not the timing!

Otherwise nice post :-)
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How accurate is #2? Does that really help
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

No number 2 is false. Late calories are only problematic when they are extra calories that reduce deficit or cause a calorie surplus.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

For some who have a tendency to binge at night or can't sleep on a full stomach, it's a good idea. Otherwise, personal preference. I never eat dinner before 7, and then usually have dessert around 9 or 9:30, and I lost fine.
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

No number 2 is false. Late calories are only problematic when they are extra calories that reduce deficit or cause a calorie surplus.
    malibu927 wrote: »

For some who have a tendency to binge at night or can't sleep on a full stomach, it's a good idea. Otherwise, personal preference. I never eat dinner before 7, and then usually have dessert around 9 or 9:30, and I lost fine.

OK thanks guys. I'm usually an early dinner eater as well and maybe once or twice a week I'll have a real small snack before bed or my protein shake if I get to the gym late that day. I don't like to eat right before bed, it keeps me up sick all night for some reason.
    Thanks for the responses.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Meal timing is irrelevant.
    If not eating at night helps someone to create a calorie deficit then that's fine. But a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss. I can not eat whatever I want all day and then stop eating at 4pm and expect to lose weight. It doesn't work like that.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lol, I knew a lot of people were going to take exception with number 2. My Doctor was actually the one who told me not to eat anything after 6p.

When you cut off food at 6p, you will find that you do end up eating less so there us validity to the theory.

Also it does help, I know a lot of studies say meal timing is irrelevant blah blah blah... But in my experience I can say eating a meal at 5p vs 9pm makes all the difference on the scale the next day.

Besides like I said, this is how I started, and if you have a lot to lose like I did, it will really help you stay at a deficit.

You're just going to store that meal if you eat it late, and I've read in plenty of books that it doesn't matter, but from my own experience it really helps.

Not to say you can't lose weight eating late, but it's a bad habit to eat before bed for a number of reasons.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lol, I knew a lot of people were going to take exception with number 2. My Doctor was actually the one who told me not to eat anything after 6p.

When you cut off food at 6p, you will find that you do end up eating less so there us validity to the theory.

Also it does help, I know a lot of studies say meal timing is irrelevant blah blah blah... But coming from someone who dropped 180lbs and weighed themselves everyday, I can say eating a meal at 5p vs 9pm makes all the difference on the scale the next day.

You're just going to store that meal if you eat it late, and I've read in plenty of books that it doesn't matter, but from my own experience it really helps.

Not to say you can't lose weight eating late, but it's a bad habit to eat before bed for a number of reasons.

You only end up eating less by stopping at 6 if you would normally eat too much by eating at both 6 and 9. If you eat the same thing at 9 instead of 6, you're not eating any more. Just at a later time. And that won't make you gain weight.

And I agree that eating later can cause the scale to act differently in the morning. But that's because of water retention and/or waste. Not because eating late made you gain weight.

You don't "just store" a meal because you ate late. Your body is going to use that meal if you're not in a calorie surplus. Your body doesn't go into complete stasis when you sleep, it's still functioning.

Why is eating before bed a bad habit, if it doesn't make a person sick or not sleep well? I find it relaxing to have a snack right before bed, and it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not eating after a certain hour seems to help my husband, but he is thin and only fluctuates by five to ten pounds. It doesn't make any difference with me, but I work very long hours, so it doesn't work for me in many levels. Everyone has to find what works for them. Except use does more for me than anything because I don't want to eat up my hard work.