110 pound loss to a healthy weight in about a year

Options
patesq
patesq Posts: 111 Member
I think I'm ready for a final success story even though this will be a life long project. I started on this journey last July at 247 lbs at a BMI of 39.6. I am now down 110 lbs and at a BMI of 21.6. I started slowly doing cardio in the morning and evening. I added in weight training. My husband got me a FitBit to help track my exercise. I monitored my food carefully and religiously but did not deny myself anything; as long as it fit within my calorie goal, I could have it. Obviously there were some things I decided weren't worth the calories but I enjoyed Christmas cookies and have the occasional burger and onion rings.

I took my first measurements on August 13th last year and here's a comparison to a year later:
8/13/2015 8/13/2016
Waist 51" 28"
Thigh 29" 21.5"
Hips 49" 36"
Upper arm 16" 10.5"
Chest 48" 36.5"
Under chest 42" 31"

This shows me before the journey and a more recent picture:
gf4t6tzzg8j4.jpg

This shows the pants I wore last summer (khakis) and the jeans that I just bought and had a little crying session in the dressing room when a size 2 fit:
bz3adxd25ijn.jpg

I'm happy with where I am now. I am looking forward to increasing my strength; I really hope to be able to do a pullup at some point. I'm close but not quite there. I'm enjoying using my better health to be more active; we got season tickets to Busch Gardens for the first time this year and I love that I can walk all over the park, climbing hills and stairs, and keep up with our 16 year old daughter easily. We have also been to Water Country and I dared to wear a bikini and felt pretty good about it.

It's been odd to have to introduce myself to people that haven't seen me in a while. It's nice to realize that I've made such a significant change because I still have a hard time seeing it and don't think of myself as being a healthy weight.

One benefit I didn't realize would occur is that I can handle the summer weather more easily. I used to really detest the summer because of how unbearable the heat and humidity are where we live. Without that extra 110 lbs of insulation, I'm handling this summer much better, even the days where we have heat advisories. I still prefer winter weather but at least the summers are more bearable.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my journey and I hope everyone else finds success on theirs.

Replies

• smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Your story is very motivating-thanks for sharing :)
  • zarzawoman125
    zarzawoman125 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story. It brought tears to my eyes because I'm inspired. Thanks for sharing.
  • RuthyLOL
    RuthyLOL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Do tell. What worked for you? How many calories did you eat each day? Thank you. Anything helps in the struggle.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! You've worked very hard for this and you look (and obviously feel) great! Congratulations!
  • Hyperbum
    Hyperbum Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You look super! Congrats!
  • AliciaBerries
    AliciaBerries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Congrats
  • madseasons
    madseasons Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    WOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!! You are an inspiration! You look amazing!
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    OMG - you look great! Truly an inspiration.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You were beautiful before and now still beautiful, just smaller! You really rocked it this year. I actually tore a picture out of a magazine with the model wearing a dress like you have on - very form fitting. You are my thinspiration. Congrats!!!!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look terrific. What a beautiful figure and wonderful how you're enjoying your new slim life.
  • AshSarahP
    AshSarahP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats - well done! I'm inspired!
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WOW! WGT!!
  • RBO1101
    RBO1101 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this. Your measurements are close to mine when I started and I am 23 lbs down. I would LOVE to get to your final weight. You have done a fantastic job! Can I ask what your height is?
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Look at that figure you've got!! You are seriously rocking that dress. You must feel amazing! Congratulations on your success, you have definitely earned it :)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look amazing. I know when I get to my goal weight I'll be crying too. :)
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I found these success stories very inspiring when I started so I thought I should pay it forward!

I didn't really do anything special other than being very honest and diligent about logging and getting my butt to the gym every single day, usually twice, with cardio in the morning and strength training in the evening. I didn't use a trainer, just made it up as I went. I stayed under the calorie limit MyFitnessPal gave me and left a cushion (usually about 500 calories) in case I forgot to log something or if my exercise count was off a little.

I did find a couple of tweaks that saved me a bunch of calories. When I realized how many calories just a little mayonnaise had, I tried using plain nonfat greek yogurt with some ranch dressing mix in it. I could have a large serving for 20 calories. I found very low carb and calorie wraps (50 calories) made by Ole. I use PB2 peanut butter powder, sugar free jelly (10 calories for a tablespoon) and Heiner's bread (35 calories per slice but regular thickness) so I can have a PB&J for 125 calories. I've eaten a lot of greek yogurt with protein powder mixed in. And I found a cottage cheese recipe with cinnamon and ground flax seed that I like (I do not enjoy cottage cheese normally. I kept some small, individually wrapped treats around so I could indulge but not overindulge. I chose Lindt chocolate truffles - about 75 calories and just enough to satisfy the chocolate craving. I also found sugar free fudgesicles - 40 calories and yummy.

Best of luck to all on your journeys!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats! :)
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - proof positive that hard work really does pay off! Thank you for sharing your journey :-)
  • pjw400
    pjw400 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome - if you can do it, I can do it too :). Thanks for sharing your story.
    Pam
  • Just_Maddy
    Just_Maddy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    VERY inspiring! Wow you are doing amazing :O This is why I love MFP sooo much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!