Help me balance my MACROS!

powetik
powetik Posts: 14 Member
I pay a lot of attention to my food consumption from week to week. I notice that no matter how hard I try I always have way too many carbs and not enough protein by the end of each day. Can anyone offer me ways to add more protein options particularly snacks and breakfast? I am getting so close to my final weight loss goal but it has slowed to a snails pace. I am sure if I can get this together the rest will fall off sooner. Thanks pals!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Eggs/liquid egg whites, Canadian bacon/turkey/ham, Fold it/Flat out wraps, mozzarella sticks, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Protein powders/bars. I also mix my protein powder in the cottage cheese and greek yogurt for dessert options too.

I find if I'm protein heavy for breakfast and lunch then dinner is pretty relaxed. Usually even room for a snack (or two lol).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Beef jerky is a go-to for me. I also quit eating breakfast food for breakfast. I have leftovers from dinner or whatever else, but there are almost no protein-heavy breakfast foods. Yes, I occasionally get weird looks when I have tacos for breakfast, but whatever.

But regardless, try pre-logging your foods/meals. That way you can log different combinations of foods throughout the day until you end up with foods you like and reasonable macros. Then, you have a plan for the day all laid out.
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Thisnameischosen_ Posts: 619 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    But regardless, try pre-logging your foods/meals. That way you can log different combinations of foods throughout the day until you end up with foods you like and reasonable macros. Then, you have a plan for the day all laid out.

This is what I do ^^

I'm new to counting macros and was pretty much in the same place you are now. I do this and just add and remove things to my diary, trying different meal combinations until I hit my macro goal. Now I roughly know which meals work and which don't. I was overwhelmed by macro counting at first but you slowly get the hang of it.

Also, protein powder! Make a smoothy with it for breakfast and snack on eggs or sliced chicken breast.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    I used to have too little protein each day, but I'm getting around this now by using whey protein. With breakfast I either mix a scoop with juice or water/orange flavoring [orange juice works really well with this].
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    A good protein drink will help you hit your protein macros but be careful of added carbs and fat. I used to have a glass of a protein drink called MuscleEgg. It's just plain old egg whites that or purified and flavored. They taste just like a milkshake. They're also very low in carbs and fat. Low fat greek yogurt is also a good go to and peanut butter is another one, or some other nuts or nut butter if you have a hard time with dairy products.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    As you get lighter, weight loss will naturally slow down. What's your height and weight? Macro split is important for health, satiety and body composition, not directly for weight loss. A diet composition that is difficult for you to attain, can be difficult just because it's unbalanced. And maybe a change isn't even necessary. How many calories are you eating and what amounts of fat, carbs and protein are you getting in?
  • CoachDavidJ
    CoachDavidJ Posts: 8 Member
    I read this blog on reverse engineering your diet for protein and it helped me a ton! Reverse Engineering Your Diet For Protein Basically pre log all your protein for the day, make sure you get all that in, and then log your carb and fat sources.
  • SBegeal
    SBegeal Posts: 2 Member
    I used a website to help me figure out what my macros should be...basically 40% protein, 45%carbs, and 15% fat. Its only been two days and I go over on my fat by the end of the morning...and both days was short on carbs and protein. I'm wondering if I should change anything or just keep trying to work within the goals. The calculations were based on my current age, weight, and activity level so I'm thinking they must be close. Does anyone have any suggestions? And if I do stay with the current goals...how to I avoid going over on fat everyday without using a "low fat" or "no fat" option that I know is loaded with sugar???
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Paleo. Primal blueprint and Mark's daily apple.
  • SBegeal
    SBegeal Posts: 2 Member
    Also...I'm already using a Lean Vegan protein shake once or twice a day