Challenge to gain..

Options
Hey I'm 6'0 , always been skinny my whole life. Trying to gain to 175. I'm at 143. Any quick tips on gaining weight fast?

Replies

• xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    first, don't get in a hurry. Fast weight gain (more than 1#/week) is just packing on excess fat you'll have to cut later. Getting to 175 without putting on excessive fat may take years and a bulk/cut cycle to two to acheive...on the plus side you probably aren't like i was and have to cut fat for 7 months before you get to a point where you can start adding weight. Just note, you will put on fat. There's no way around it. part of the process.

Lift, and lift progressively. Find a program based on your current experience level (likely beginner) and hit it. Be consistent about hitting the gym...Without giving your body a reason to get bigger/stronger, the weight gain will be from getting fatter.

Add a food scale and a fitbit, and keep close track of your calories. Set MFP up to gain .5#/week and eat to that goal every day and see what it gets you. Weigh in multiple times a week and watch the trends. Weekly averages of your weigh-ins will give you a better picture of your trending than the individual days (where you'll fluctuate a bit from day to day) If you aren't gaining, you're not eating enough. adjust intake as necessary and proceed. If you note that you're packing on 1.5-2#/week, back off the intake. Give each adjustment at least 3-4 weeks to see how it's going.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories so you are at a surplus of 3600 calories per week (condsidering any workout routines). This should add about 1lb per week and to Gearheads point above the slower you progress the gain and add in weight training the more likely you are to put on quality vs quantity weight. I have my TDEE set to add 1/2 lb a week based on stats and activity level.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't want to gain fast, unless you just want to gain fat?
  • AndreTheGiant25
    AndreTheGiant25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't want to gain fast, unless you just want to gain fat?

No, I just didn't know if I gain fast it will just be fat. I definitely don't want to gain fat.
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    Thanks xXGearHeadXx & rebel_26. It was very helpful. I'm new to this weight gain process, just trying to gain the right way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're talking muscle without any PED's, it ain't gonna be fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm hearing it's going to take some time, looks like I'm going to need to learn patience
  • xXGearheadXx
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm hearing it's going to take some time, looks like I'm going to need to learn patience

and discipline...not saying that's something that you lack, but It's all about consistency in your workouts, diet, and rest. 2 months on and then missing 2 or 3 weeks in the gym won't cut it. keeping your calories up where they need to be 3 days a week won't cut it either. One day at a time...for years. That's the ticket.
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    Well right now I only do strength workouts at home in my room until I can afford a gym membership. Will that cut it ? @xXGearheadXx
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Well right now I only do strength workouts at home in my room until I can afford a gym membership. Will that cut it ? @xXGearheadXx

what kind of equipment do you have acccess to at home?

you are going to have a hard time putting on 30 pounds in a short period of time. Honestly, I would shoot for eating in a 250 calorie surplus for a .5 pound per week gain and do that until you get to a point where you want to cut off some of the fat, and then start bulking again. It will probably take you several bulk/cut cycles to get there...

if you go for fast gains you may not be happy with your look at 170....
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    I have nothing but a treadmill @ndj1979 & these 20pound Dumbbells , not much..
  • xXGearheadXx
    Options
    I have nothing but a treadmill @ndj1979 & these 20pound Dumbbells , not much..

Not good for gaining. Stay off the treadmill unless you have general fitness and cardio goals in mind. It will just make you have to eat that much more. 20# Dumbbells won't challenge you enough to put on any significant mass.

Lifting progressively involves a gradual increase in volume over time. If you can bench 155, 3 sets of 8 now, next week you bump up to 160 and work that until you get it. Over time you go from doing 155 3x8 to 235 3x8 because you've progressively challenged your body to do more. (note that is just one example of how to increase volume....you don't necessarily have to work in that set/rep range. just do what your program dictates. ).

Do a google search for gyms in your area. You don't need the big fitness club with miles of stair masters and a pool, just a good blue collar joint with a squat rack, bench, and a place to do deadlifts. My membership only costs $16 a month.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    You are not gonna go far with 20lbs dumbbells, in order to stimulate you're muscles, you need to add weights and with just 20lbs, you are also limited on the number of exercises you can do.I mean bench pressing those 20lbs will be too easy for you.

In order to stimulate muscle you need progressive resistance. That can occur with even body weight. And while i woulf agree that barbells are probably more effective, and probably required long term, if the OP hasnt trained before, a body resistance program might be effective.

Op look at the link below. I believe you are your own gym has a bulking program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    You are not gonna go far with 20lbs dumbbells, in order to stimulate you're muscles, you need to add weights and with just 20lbs, you are also limited on the number of exercises you can do.I mean bench pressing those 20lbs will be too easy for you.

Yeah it is too easy for me. I just tried to work with what I have. But I guess I have to make room for a gym membership.
  • AndreTheGiant25
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on staying away from the treadmill, which I kind of thought was odd in the first place but I was listening to the wrong coach I guess. @xXGearheadXx
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on staying away from the treadmill, which I kind of thought was odd in the first place but I was listening to the wrong coach I guess. @xXGearheadXx

There is nothing wrong with the treadmill as long as you can keep up with calories. Its not like running will rob your gains. In fact we have had a few members bulk with distance cycling.