Is it really worth it to buy organic chicken?

Options
filbo132
filbo132 Posts: 956 Member
I usually but my chicken breast at Costco and they have now started selling organic chicken breasts at the same price as the regular one with the only difference of having much more chicken in the regular one vs the organic one, about 10-15 more pieces. Healthwise, am I still better off buying the regular chicken. For sure pricewise, the regular wins.

Replies

• Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You have to know how to interpret those labels and its very difficult when the companies are so deceiving. It can say "organic" but it can still have been given antibiotics. "All natural" is the worst label it basically means sucker, and if it's "no antibiotics" it means just that, non at all. There's probably a lot more info on Google and could explain it better.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't get me started to the Angus beef movement!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    NO
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Not particularly. It depends on if you're allergic to any of the additives and preservatives they add to meats. Also, many organic meats don't add the salt water that you find in other meats to preserve it. People that are on low sodium diets may benefit from organic meats. That might be the reason why you see more meat in the organic package than the non-organic. Most frozen chicken has been pumped full of salt water to plump them up, thus making it look like you're getting more meat and bigger chicken pieces but the added weight is just water.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Produce & meat may be better for you due to the lack of insecticides and chemicals added but I never buy organic anything because of the higher price for all things organic.

Haven't noticed any health or other problems caused because of this choice in my case.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    In my opinion, No, not worth it.

This article sums up my feelings on "organic" well.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Organic, yes. Anything organic is regulated. Anything other than organic, NOPE.

Most food is regulated there are just different rules for regulating it.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

My thoughts, exactly. This quote from that article pretty well sums things up: "Not only is there no tangible reason to buy organic, but it contributes to the sad weakness of America’s critical-thinking skills. The organic industry perpetuates the “natural is better” fallacy."

I've actually been shopping less at Costco because they keep increasing their organic stock to the exclusion of other foods. It's making Sam's Club or the regular grocery store a cheaper option for some of the foods I buy.

As far as antibiotics, I would certainly hope that sick chickens would be given them! Otherwise, that's cruel. There is a withdrawal period for any animal given antibiotics so that their systems are cleared of the medicine before their eggs can be collected for sale or the animals slaughtered for meat. That's true of any farming method.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Organic chicken? No.

Chicken that is not pumped full of saline solution during packaging? Yes. At least for me. I can't stand the texture of that type of chicken.

Yep. This^^
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth the extra money to buy meat that was not raised on antibiotics, but I do not feel it's worth the extra money to buy organic.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

My thoughts, exactly. This quote from that article pretty well sums things up: "Not only is there no tangible reason to buy organic, but it contributes to the sad weakness of America’s critical-thinking skills. The organic industry perpetuates the “natural is better” fallacy."

I've actually been shopping less at Costco because they keep increasing their organic stock to the exclusion of other foods. It's making Sam's Club or the regular grocery store a cheaper option for some of the foods I buy.

I've noticed this from Costco as well and been irritated. I also recently moved from a lower income area to a higher and the local grocery store has much more Organic food than my old one. I have to hunt for the non-organic produce.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Organic, yes. Anything organic is regulated. Anything other than organic, NOPE.

They can still call a chicken 'organic' by simply feeding it organic feed - an organic chicken does not mean the chicken lived a care free, all natural chicken lifestyle. This chicken may never see the light of day and still be grown at a crazy pace to get it to market quickly, and yet it can still labelled organic. Maybe OP was wondering only about health benefits from organic vs non-organic meat, but I know many people pay more for organic livestock thinking it was raised humanely or given a chance to roam outside foraging, which is not necessarily the case.

How does one grow a chicken at a crazy pace?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think so, if only for the more humane tendencies of organic meat producers. The chickens can't be kept in cages, must have access to the outdoors (although, you have to research the company that you're buying from to figure out if the chicken actually ever went outdoors), and are allowed more floor space in the chicken houses than conventional meat production allots. Plus, they can't be given subtheraputic doses of antibiotics, so the chicken houses generally have to be maintained better.

The optimal scenario is that you would be able to find a local producer that raises his chickens on pasture and never uses chicken houses, even if that farm isn't considered USDA Organic. But, when that isn't avaliable, organic is the next best option IMO.
  • Cjmi427
    Cjmi427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are buying Coleman Organics from Costco, Google the company. In their FAQs on their website, they explain what the animals are fed and how they are housed. As far as antibiotics, I think people have a problem with "preventative" antibiotics being given to livestock because they feel that the practice can lead to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its all personal preference. Im lucky that in San Diego we have so many options. I buy dairy from local California farms that only milk their cows once a day (all other times are spent out to pasture)... our chickens come from a farm that "ethically" kills the chickens and they also have a ton of space (i actually visited the farm they have more room then my dogs and our backyard is .6 of an acre). Keep it mind this is shopping at whole foods and its super expensive. I can afford it and I care about the animals so its cool, but man its expensive.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Better for what? Taste? Environment? Cruelty? If you're just taking about nutrition, it don't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png