Purpose of existence .

Options

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    There's no real purpose. Just enjoy your time and be a decent person.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Maybe the purpose is to make your own purpose. For a fulfilling life, it only has to be fulfilling for you.

Here is a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, an American poet, essayist and philosopher, when asked about success:

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of ones self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded."
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to tackle this question for yourself is to start by building an elementary knowledge of philosophical theories and a basic philosophical vocabulary. From there you will be able to frame your thoughts differently and things you only had a vague hint or intuition of will start making sense and become more concrete. Then you can figure out what makes the most sense to you. But as none of the great philosophers could come to agreement and this question is still being debated today in universities and philosophical conferences across the globe, I personally just choose to be a good person and hope things will work out. Somehow. Lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The chief end of man is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever according to the Westminster Shorter Catechism. That doesn't mean that he wants me to go to snake filled India and heal lepers. That means that I avoided the don'ts so that I could do the dos and learned that my gift is teaching. I superintend schools and direct training. My supervisor and my co workers sit in my trainings sometimes and ask "How does she do that?" I do it through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, because I sat and learned at the feet of masters, and because it is my gift. Like most anyone, I have about 9 things I do well. Everything else, not so much.

"Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made," (Isaiah 43:7)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnxqlmGEdR1qdldoro1_500.gif
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @Karb_Kween : just google volunteer work in your area and you will find one :)..well being rich doesnt matters....being a good person is all that really matters....just my take :).

@finny : I get what you meant but......

@Motorsheen : LOL

@Louise1491 : I get it to enjoy the ride ..trust me I try to enjoy every moment but I cant get rid of that question

@kate141987 : atleast you are honest, but well said...high five lol

@DetroitDarin : spreading good karma ...hmmm cant disagree ..well said

@Gnothi: L O L

@MonkeyMel21 : somehow cant relate science with our existence with all due respect :)

@RavenLibra : respect !

@Thisnameischosen : Nicely said. I don't fear death ...somehow ....and I try to live the moment ..and I do lol...but I cant lie ....somewhere deep down...not sure to call it soul or consciousness...it keeps knocking.

@CincyNeid : LOL...

@RachelElser : I cant disagree with yoir perception

@gillie: LOL...not your fault :)

@Caroldavison332 : respect your perception and it makes sense to an extent. But well ...I guess if I say somethning more it might start another debate here, which I have no intent.Thanks

@denversillygoose : well I like it...

@cross2bear , @looking4better : I really liked it...thanks for sharing

@lessismoreohio : Respect!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what our purpose was here, either....until my granddaughter was born. Now I know <3
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The chief end of man is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever according to the Westminster Shorter Catechism. That doesn't mean that he wants me to go to snake filled India and heal lepers. That means that I avoided the don'ts so that I could do the dos and learned that my gift is teaching. I superintend schools and direct training. My supervisor and my co workers sit in my trainings sometimes and ask "How does she do that?" I do it through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, because I sat and learned at the feet of masters, and because it is my gift. Like most anyone, I have about 9 things I do well. Everything else, not so much.

"Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made," (Isaiah 43:7)
    Let me grab that Bible from you and smack you in the *kitten* with it ;)

@Cutaway_Collar I wanted to post this follow-up to let you know I actually appreciate your response to my earlier post (I thought it was funny).....and I wanted to let you know that it twasn't me who flagged you.
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    High five bro lol

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I think we tend to ask ourselves this question when we are in a bad place or unhappy. Because that's when we're lost and searching. I've yet to come up with an answer myself, but this discussion made me think that maybe we should be asking ourselves this when we're in a good, happy place. Do we have an answer, or a better one then? Or can we look back at a time when we were happy (or happier) and feeling good and see if we can figure out our purpose then?

Maybe there isn't one at all and we just need to be the best person we can be. I have no idea either.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I choose to think of this same question in a different light:

Why have we been given the ability to ponder our existence when there's no answer to the question?

The three most important questions and sought after answers have never been answered in 200,000 years of human existence:

1. What is the meaning of life?
    2. Is there an afterlife?
    3. Is there intelligent life out there besides earth?

You'd think that one of these would have been answered after 200,000 years...
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Verdammt...you beat me to it.
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @BZAH10 : do I know you....:):). I know but there have been worst time...right now I can call it a neutral time in life so yeah I get it what you meant though. High five since you are not sure too :):) but yeah can relate to it.

@EZDUZIT68 : I agree, but I wish can get rid of this thought.

@tbonethemighty : LOL

@Timshel_ : Nicely envisioned

@GnothiSeauton23 : :):). Sorry for messing up your ID
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @JustMissTracy : That's beautiful, glad you found it.
  • Erika2011MaBelleFille
    Options
    We are all here for a reason. Each of us has a purpose and each individual purpose serves a greater good. We are all born pure and as we grow we make choices that bring us closer or further apart from that purpose. We are enlightened when we figure it, but at least that is what I believe.