Are there any foods that are banned in your head?

Options

Replies

• JeremiahJButler
    JeremiahJButler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't ban anything but processed sugar. I also don't eat anything where I would want to add additional white, coconut, or any sugars so if I drink coffee or tea I would use a natural sweetener or drink it straight, and mostly processed foods but I have my cheat meal once a week if I want to indulge in something naughty. I don't include thins with added sugars in the already because most things are already made w sugar anyways.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    [quote=

I attempt to not have foods that I know from past history I have not been able to portion control, but still have them on occassion with no feelings of regret.

I found I can have them, but not to have a supply of them, in my home. [/quote]

^^^^this when it comes to takeout pizza.

@Cintirich try Helmanns made with olive oil, less calories and trans fat and tastes exactly the same as regular Hellmanns (imo.) I think the low fat Hellmanns tasted like...chemicals. Good loss though! Keep it up!
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Even though I know I can have what I want in moderation, I have just banned some foods in my head all together. It's so weird because I seriously don't deprive myself of anything. However there are some foods that I heard along the way that were really bad so I don't touch them. For instance - pasta. I love love love pasta. With dieting though, I feel like i have committed a sin eating it. Even when I am not dieting I avoid Alfredo sauce because somewhere I've heard it's one of the worst things in life you can eat. I also no longer eat bagels for breakfast because I heard they are just empty calories for breakfast. The weird thing is that I eat all other kinds of crap foods just fine. Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy? Well I know I'm crazy but does anyone else do this???? :D

Nope! But I'm this close to banning that whipped chocolate peanut butter in my house. That stuff is crack!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't purposely banned any foods because I don't believe in deprivation, but I subconsciously ban foods. Like, I tend to avoid foods that aren't filling and those that I know I'll be hungry an hour after eating them. These include cereal, pasta, bread, etc... These are also the foods I'm tempted to binge on. I wish I could eat them in moderation and still stay in my calorie range, and sometimes I may, but overall I naturally avoid them.
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Margarine is banned in my house.
    Also artificial sweeteners.
    I try to avoid food dyes, white flour and sugar.
    So hard with kids!!!
    Soda is pretty close to banned, too except ginger ale
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do keto so a lot of food is "restricted", however I can re-create a lot of high-carb food with low-carb ingredients.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Unless it's my binge day, I try to avoid soda, chocolate or cookies, and an overload of meat. I still eat all those things but they are not apart of my regular diet. Other than that, I don't really ban foods in my head, I just make sure I don't binge. That and I honestly don't crave soda like I used to so it isn't always on my mind. I am about to ban Zaxby's and Papa John's pizza from my diet. It is so calorie dense that it isn't even good to eat on my "cheat days." I actually realize how healthy I have been eating when I become physically sick over fast food I loved.
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't really ban anything except bad oils and processed foods. After 2 yrs on keto, I don't want much of anything that's sugary or starchy anymore. ..plus it makes me achey when I eat it now. :(
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I don't ban anything except wheat (allergy), shellfish (deadly allergy), soy, and gluten. I have an auto immune condition which is why I am soy and gluten free. I limit my simple carbs because they cause inflammation in my system but I do still eat them occasionally.
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't really ban anything except bad oils and processed foods. After 2 yrs on keto, I don't want much of anything that's sugary or starchy anymore. ..plus it makes me achey when I eat it now. :(
    Yeah because long term keto can screw up your glucose metabolism. Had plenty of clients experience similar thing, a few months on a normal diet with carbs, they feel better and start losing weight again since their cortisol responses are normal and their thyroid level isn't in the dumpster.

No, actually, I'm quite healthy--and happy on Keto/LCHF. I started cutting carbs because I had arthritis pains, which went away because of my new way of eating. I will never go back to a carb diet.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love sweetened condensed milk in coffee. Used to drink it like that several times a week. Now I hate opening a can and having it in fridge... It is hard for me to moderate myself. Too many calories.

I guess I could say cheese made my list but really only because I'd rather have avocados instead.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Animal products
  • mwickerh
    mwickerh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food, but that's because I don't like it and I'm vegetarian. The only chips/salty snacks I'll eat are pretzels and sometimes tortilla chips. It may say no trans fat in things like Doritos and Cheetos, but what they don't say, is that there's not enough in their one serving to require them to put it on the label. If you eat a bunch, you are still consuming trans fat, which is horrible. I also stay away from packaged white breads.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options
    mwickerh wrote: »
    I don't eat fast food, but that's because I don't like it and I'm vegetarian. The only chips/salty snacks I'll eat are pretzels and sometimes tortilla chips. It may say no trans fat in things like Doritos and Cheetos, but what they don't say, is that there's not enough in their one serving to require them to put it on the label. If you eat a bunch, you are still consuming trans fat, which is horrible. I also stay away from packaged white breads.

While I hate to be a Doritos or Cheetos apologist, and they're certainly not a nutritional powerhouse ;), most flavors (maybe all flavors?) no longer contain hydrogenated vegetable oils, per the ingredients list - in the US, at least - so, no longer trans fats.

I rarely eat them or other fast food myself (and I'm a vegetarian too, but I don't know what that has to do with it). But in the right mood, I'd probably eat cardboard with salt on it, and Doritos or Cheetos taste better than that.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Cake. Cake is banned bc I only like cake that is 1200 calories or more per slice. I know this bc I bake them myself. So yes cake is banned unless its my birthday, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. I cannot afford cake most days.

The only other food that's banned is tree nuts as I am allergic. I usually incorporate tree nuts into most cakes I bake (my husband loves my german chocolate cake) this way I CANNOT eat them.

Yes some foods are banned.

I will occasionally have store bought pound cake and caramel icecream. It does not compare to the cake I'd like to have in any way shape form or fashion there is no substitute for a calorie, butter, and sugar laden cake made from scratch.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I basically don't bake sweets anymore because it is too calorie rich, most recipes make more than my family can eat, and I can't keep my hands out of the bowl. I confine the majority of my sweets baking to the six-seven weeks from Thanksgiving to NYE and rarely bake outside of that time frame.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts and soda because I lack self control. Soda I'll have when we eat or or pizza night
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dairy, meat, poultry, fish, eggs