Anyone else find the Macros a little off on here?

Options
I work out 6 days a week run 3 and lift 4 but am looking to lose some weight. I signed up and the suggested macros are as follows: Calories 1,420 Carbs 178 Fat 47 Protein 71

To me this seems awfully high for carbs and awfully low for protein. I personally use these for macros

Calories 1,500-1750 (long run days of 45 mins I need the extra calories) Carbs 100-150 Fat 40 and protein ~200 I realize the protein is super high but I eat a lot of lean meat and veggies and usually wind up around 130-150 without a protein shake.

Am I way off on this? I feel like 71g of protein would eat away the muscle mass I've worked hard for and the extra carbs will make it harder to burn off the fat I'm trying to lose.

Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think they use the FDA recommendations, but I also agree carbs are too high. I changed mine to 40/30/30.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    The macros are set up for a non exercising person and are within general guidelines.
    Your entered exercise calories will give you more protein, and carbs and fat, to help fuel your workout.
    As I don't know your weight I can't say what amount of protein is adequate for you.
    Change your macro percentages to suit your eating preference.

Cheers, h.
  • honestus81
    honestus81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

Mgo- I didn't realize this was FDA guidelines.

H- I'm 215 lbs at 5'10" but I'm fairly muscular- hence the very high protein.

To be honest I mainly use this site for looking up foods that don' have a label which is the majority of what I eat. I actually use an excel document to track all exercise and calories. It's hard to find the calories in 100g of zucchini or whatever other veg, meat, or fish I may eat so this is a great resource for that. I'll have to try tracking my workouts and loging food on here and see how that goes. I appreciate the input.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Our bodies have a pretty wide tolerance for different macro ratios. MFP default is smack dab in the middle of the range suggested by the US government. These are widely agreed upon in the medical community

Dietary Guidelines - health.gov
    Overview of Nutrition - Merck Manual

Just change your macro ratios manually if you have different goals.
  • honestus81
    honestus81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tom!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    honestus81 wrote: »
    I work out 6 days a week run 3 and lift 4 but am looking to lose some weight. I signed up and the suggested macros are as follows: Calories 1,420 Carbs 178 Fat 47 Protein 71

To me this seems awfully high for carbs and awfully low for protein. I personally use these for macros

Calories 1,500-1750 (long run days of 45 mins I need the extra calories) Carbs 100-150 Fat 40 and protein ~200 I realize the protein is super high but I eat a lot of lean meat and veggies and usually wind up around 130-150 without a protein shake.

Am I way off on this? I feel like 71g of protein would eat away the muscle mass I've worked hard for and the extra carbs will make it harder to burn off the fat I'm trying to lose.

Any thoughts or advice?

Well they are fine macros for people who aren't in defecit or strength training

Just reset them ..work out your grammes then work out the nearest percentage base on protein and carbs at 4 cals per g and fat at 9 cals per g

I like the protein minimum at 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight
    and fat minimum at 0..35g fat per lb bodyweight

Carbs can fall where they like ..I generally end up with 200-250g in defecit ...more in maintenance
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    honestus81 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Mgo- I didn't realize this was FDA guidelines.

H- I'm 215 lbs at 5'10" but I'm fairly muscular- hence the very high protein.

To be honest I mainly use this site for looking up foods that don' have a label which is the majority of what I eat. I actually use an excel document to track all exercise and calories. It's hard to find the calories in 100g of zucchini or whatever other veg, meat, or fish I may eat so this is a great resource for that. I'll have to try tracking my workouts and loging food on here and see how that goes. I appreciate the input.

yeah, I wouldn't advise doing that ...your be better using something like the USDA database for calories and nutritional info as MFP entries have major errors as they are user entered and the "verified" green tick is just an automatic algorithm which means nothing at all (feel free to look up "Chinese plate" which is in at 1000 calories for proof )

If you are making recipes the recipe builder on MFP is pretty decent, but again double check all food selections across decent databases