What have you found to help bloating?!

Options
I swear I get bloated so easily and it drives me insane. The second I eat anything at all my stomach balloons :(

Replies

• Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Omg same! But, only at work! I sit on my *kitten* all day at work so I'm thinking maybe it's the sitting? Doesn't happen on weekends? And I eat slowly...so annoying. Feel 5 months gone by 3pm!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have tried probiotics and/or digestive enzymes? Either of these may help.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    For me that's a sign of constipation or pms. I take a stool softener and drink lots of water.
  • Nikkomagic
    Nikkomagic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ginger root is what helps me. I crush about a fourth of a cup and let it infuse in a liter of water (usually over night, but not always so if the bloat is really bad) and drink it through out the next day.
  • jknightlynn
    jknightlynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt daily, a probiotic midday, and magnisum before bed. Helps me!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out dairy and seeing if that works for you?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had bloating because I have a malabsorption disorder caused by antibiotics. I had to go on a low fodmap diet (temporary). I can't eat grains. Or starches (temporary). Some of that should be temporary until I hopefully recover. I drink kefir and eat other fermented foods like sauerkraut. And take probiotics. Eat soluble fiber to feed the good bacteria. Some little things that can also help are coconut oil, turmeric and black pepper, ginger. But, this is just what has helped me. People get bloating for different reasons.
  • mds438
    mds438 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seek out the Low Fodmap diet.
    The Monarsh University have made a very good app for the diet. But remember it is only temporary that you should stick to the restricted diet. I did the diet for 4 weeks and then gradually reintroduced the excluded food over the following months. I now eat allmost all food again, but without the bloating and aching.
  • Perpkern
    Perpkern Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Move more. Go for a 30 minute walk every day. Split into 2 15 minute walks if preferred. Also, your body may be hinting that it doesn't like a particular food. Try a simple diet for a while, based around foods which are known to be easily processed by the body. Fish and rice with steamed greens is my go-to when my gut feels bad and I'm bloated.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm bloated every night after eating but by morning it's back to normal. I eat a lot of veggies with dinner. I think that causes it. It doesn't really bother me because it doesn't last.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I'm bloated every night after eating but by morning it's back to normal. I eat a lot of veggies with dinner. I think that causes it. It doesn't really bother me because it doesn't last.

Same here, it doesn't matter what i eat. I call it a food baby, i thought it was normal and everyone gets it??
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Probably depends how bad the bloating is, if you have other more serious symptoms, and if it's a sudden change.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Same here, it doesn't matter what i eat. I call it a food baby, i thought it was normal and everyone gets it??

I thought this was normal, too. Yep to the food baby! lol
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Painstakingly tracking foods and symptoms helped me ID the worst offenders. For me, its dairy (yogurt to a much lesser extent), wheat, oats, rice, bananas, and avocados. Its weird; certain wheat products only give me mild bloating (whole wheat pita) while some make me a balloon (whole wheat pasta!). Though I'll admit its prob b/c I put away pasta like its going out of style...

Do you really bloat with everything? Or just certain foods? I don't bloat if I stick to veggies and meats. Root veggies like potatoes and yams are fine too.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are we talking true tissue based fluid retention or gastrointestinal tract gas bloat? Or are we talking you notice your upper abdomen (under your sternum) gets larger after you eat? Because the latter is normal. It's called your stomach expanding to accommodate the food you just ate as well the actual food (and liquid) just consumed itself.

Oh yeah, and the gastric acid being secreted to begin the digestive process in earnest. As well other fluids your stomach produces between the time you swallow your first bite of food and when your pylorus lets the last of the meal out of the stomach and into your duodenum.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Have tried probiotics and/or digestive enzymes? Either of these may help.
    I eat yogurt daily, a probiotic midday, and magnisum before bed. Helps me!
    brichards_ wrote: »
    Try cutting out dairy and seeing if that works for you?

I'm vegan so I actually have already cut out dairy! Are there vegan sources of probiotics?
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Perpkern wrote: »
    Move more. Go for a 30 minute walk every day. Split into 2 15 minute walks if preferred. Also, your body may be hinting that it doesn't like a particular food. Try a simple diet for a while, based around foods which are known to be easily processed by the body. Fish and rice with steamed greens is my go-to when my gut feels bad and I'm bloated.

I do! I am on my feet most of the day
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Again this is just me. But, my GI malabsorption disorder got really bad from being vegan. Because I was eating so many foods I malabsorb and I got very very sick.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bread. That so far fixed it for me