Anxiety when eating out

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for quite some time now. Having lost weight and nearly reaching goal, I then gained 10lbs-14lbs back. Now I'm motivated and ready to lose those pounds and get back to goal weight!

Since my new 'reboot' I've only eaten out once and it was quite uncomfortable for me. I knew I needed to be making healthy choices but I've grown up with meals out being 'treats' and my friends all think similarly, it was as if I was expected to order unhealthily. Fortunately I ordered a low cal meal which I actually really enjoyed, but ordering process made me quite anxious. I think part of it is due to the lack of control and forward planning- my friend picked the restaurant so I had no clue what would be on the menu to fit in my calories.

Does anyone else experience this??

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have had friends say a few times "Nooo, you're not going for a healthy thing are you?! I was going to get ....". I just laugh and say I'm not stopping you! I just am really in the mood for..salad or whatever. They get over it and I feel empowered. I know what you mean about choices though. My husband is very supportive, however not so keen on places that I would chose a light lunch at. If I end up somewhere that the only choice is something 'big' I either chose a starter or something that will fill me up and I can cut back on dinner/next day or whatever. I understand the anxiety but for this to be a forever change, it's something you need to learn to work in. I eat out for lunch quite a bit as I'm not always home. I generally try to chose salad/baked potato/wrap/soup/sandwich.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to remember that no matter how high in calories something is, portion control is always possible. In the case where nothing is low cal, just eat half, or even a fourth of your meal. If others make a fuss, firmly, but politely, say that you're full or not hungry.
    See if you can have grilled or baked versions of meals. Ask for all sauces on the side so that you can limit how much you need. Forgo cheese if you're not crazy about cheese.
    If willpower to put down the fork is an issue, remember in the moment your internal motivators and also remember that you can always save leftovers for the next morning.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get anxious about eating out too, so I understand where you are coming from. I do try to put it into perspective - one meal isn't going to kill the diet etc - and I have managed fine with making good choices and sometimes bad choices but not guilting myself over it. But yeah, the general anxiety is still there. Perhaps less than it used to be. I now do the 5:2 fast diet so I can be a lot freer with my calories than I used to be when doing a consistant daily restriction, which has helped my anxiety about eating out with friends/family.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If the eating out thing is not something that happens much then personally I'd say have whatever you want.
    If it were to happen every week then I'd say choose better options.
    Getting anxious about eating out isn't something that affects me, I enjoy it immensely and the next day its back to normal eating.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I have severe anxiety to just eating out. I had this when I was heavy and at least now when I'm having the anxiety attack I don't look like the bull leaving the china shop. Today I am taking my Mom out shopping and she mentioned eating out. Ugh lord help me but I have things mapped out and I am going to give it a try.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I haaaaaate eating out. And food allergies just make it worse. Thankfully, I only eat out once a month or so.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately eating out and socializing is part of life. Maintaining your weight is too. You need to learn to be able to spot the meal you'll enjoy, that will fill you up and not leave you wanting more on EVERY menu. And you will. It's all experience.

In a crunch, I typically find something that doesn't say "sauce, fried, etc". I don't go for salads in restaurants because they are typically calorie bombs. I will find a sandwich that can be eaten without the bun. I'll order a veggie instead of fries. I know that even if I get the fries I'll eat them.

I NEVER care what my friends think of my meal. I don't mock them for ordering crap food that will make them feel awful later, and they don't comment on me eating what I want.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Eating out is one of my favorite things to do! Whether it be a fast casual lunch like Qdoba or Panera once a week with colleagues, meals with my family at the local Mexican or Italian places in the neighborhood on the weekends, or nicer dinners out with girlfriends or date nights with my husband about once a month... I learned some good habits that enabled me to continue to socialize and enjoy my restaurant meals... The key really comes down to planning ahead.

These meals are rarely a surprise. If I know I have a social event on the calendar, here are some things I do.

I bank some calories in the days leading up to the event. If it's a Saturday evening meal at a nice place, I save 100-200 cals each day leading up to it so I have 500-1000 extra for that day.

The day of I make sure to get exercise in. I also love choosing places that I can walk to, or that I can walk around a neighborhood after the meal to help the food settle and get some extra steps in.

I plan ahead and look at the menu online ahead of time, checking nutritional info from the restaurant website if available, or looking in MFP to see if it is there. If not, I look for similar items from a chain restaurant.

Once I have an idea of what the calorie counts of the foods I'm interested are, I prioritize my choices. Mexican? I know I'm getting chips and salsa so i may try to find a lighter entree or skip the margarita and get a corona light instead. A restaurant with an amazing pastry chef? Maybe just an appetizer, salad and glass of wine so I can share dessert too. Steak place? Skip appetizers and bread so I can make sure I can fit in good wine with my steak...

I also try to remember that it takes an extra 3500 cals above maintenance to gain 1 lb of fat, so even if you see a temporary spike in the scale from water weight, you didn't actually consume an extra 3000-7000 calories in one meal... At least I never have!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've always loved going out, and I still do... but the whole process is a drag now. Finding a restaurant that has something I want to eat... asking myself 10 times if I want something bad enough to use up extra calories on it... or just really wanting to stay at goal but all the healthy options are unappealing. Then it's dessert time and having dessert has always been the main appeal of going out for me - and I have to ask myself those questions again (considering that most desserts are usually 600+ calories, it's not a small decision).

Constant struggle for me. I'm a SAHM and get so tired of having to figure out meals that everyone will eat at times, and get so tired of cooking... I just like going out because it's convenient, but I just get frustrated too.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I know the feeling. I went out to a hibachi restaurant recently and I picked over my food. I gave the leftovers away. I probably had 600 calories of rice alone on my plate. I'm going out with co-workers for lunch this week and I'm anxious like "omg where are we going to? How am I going to do this?"

However look at the positive: if your deficit is typically large every day, having a cheat meal can help with water retention and you'll see a positive effect on the scale. But if going out to eat is a regular occurrence you are definitely going to need to make some concessions with your food choices. You do not have to get salad. Eat sensible portions and save the rest for another meal.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Bbg340340 wrote: »
    I love eating out.

Oh my
  • robind200
    robind200 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really am getting very bored with eating out, but I am so incredibly busy that I just can't avoid it. Plus I to am experiencing anxiety especially when the menu doesn't give you calories for the meal. I am working on trying to pick out recipes during the week and making Sunday my cooking day. I am diligent about packing my breakfast and lunch for work. Now I am working on adding packing my dinner to.