Birth control

Options
How many of you are able to maintain /still have weight loss while on birth control ? Has anyone had difficulty losing weight due to birth control ?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started my current birth control a month after I started on MFP and haven't had a single problem with my loss. Currently at 43lbs lost and almost at goal. I take the depo-provara shot. I have issues with low blood pressure and found other methods screwed up my pressure too much.

The depo has been great and other than some deep muscle pain for 2 days after the shot, I've had no side effects at all. Not even increased appetite (which is usually the cause of "bc makes you gain weight" myths).
  • enonymous01
    enonymous01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty strict about diet and exercise all my adult life. ANYTIME I have tried to go on oral contraception I gain between 5-12 lbs. It does not matter which kind, or how low the dose. And to only gain that much takes extreme effort. Sugar cravings, constantly bloated, UGH! I just can't. Going in to see about a NONHORMONAL IUD next month. Can hardly wait.
  • enonymous01
    enonymous01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh, and anytime I go off the pills, the weight melts off. For me, it's a thing.
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty strict about diet and exercise all my adult life. ANYTIME I have tried to go on oral contraception I gain between 5-12 lbs. It does not matter which kind, or how low the dose. And to only gain that much takes extreme effort. Sugar cravings, constantly bloated, UGH! I just can't. Going in to see about a NONHORMONAL IUD next month. Can hardly wait.

I am exactly like this as well, as soon as im off hormonal bc the weight drops of me......

• bowsontoes
    bowsontoes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I lose about 4 pounds every time I'm off of it. I'm also hoping to get the IUD implanted soon, my doc thinks local BC will help me since my whole body won't process it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lost 30lbs after starting BC and have maintained that, give or take a few pounds, for 6+ years now, having changed the type of pill I was on twice during that time as well. I do drop a pound or so during my week break, but that's not really worth worrying about. I'm currently trying to lose a few vanity pounds gained whilst on holiday, and am meeting my -.5lb target each week so far, whilst taking BC.

The pill may cause an increase in hunger or water retention, especially during the first month or so of taking it, but for the vast majority of women it is not going to cause an actual fat gain. As long as you're patient and control what you eat/how active you are, the pill in of itself is very unlikely to stop you losing weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yup. 8-12 pounds quickly. Each time I tried HBC. Went non-hormonal about 12 years ago. FINALLY.
    Wish I'd done it years ago, as I feel so much better without.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Lost 30lbs after starting BC and have maintained that, give or take a few pounds, for 6+ years now, having changed the type of pill I was on twice during that time as well. I do drop a pound or so during my week break, but that's not really worth worrying about. I'm currently trying to lose a few vanity pounds gained whilst on holiday, and am meeting my -.5lb target each week so far, whilst taking BC.

The pill may cause an increase in hunger or water retention, especially during the first month or so of taking it, but for the vast majority of women it is not going to cause an actual fat gain. As long as you're patient and control what you eat/how active you are, the pill in of itself is very unlikely to stop you losing weight.

Are you talking about the week of inactive pills, you lose a pound or so?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Yes, although the brand I use does not have a week of dummy pills, you just take a 7-day break between packs (if you choose). I always seem to be a pound lighter than usual the day before I start the new pill pack. This is after any bleeding and cramping has finished. It come straight back on about 2 days into the new pack. It's hormone-related, and not real fat that my body is gaining and losing every time.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've had absolutely no issues losing weight on birth control. Personally I'm on Apri, but I've been on it since I was like 13 for medical reasons (I'm 23 now), so I have no idea of how much easier weight loss would be without it.

I just stick to my calorie deficit and the weight comes off in its own time every time I've tried.

For what it's worth, I've heard people gain weight on the ones that make you only have your period three times a year, or whatever? They make you hungrier. My sister gained 30lbs on that one! I think the ones where you get your period every 4 weeks are the way to go because they'll mess with your weight the least.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've lost weight while using the ring.
    i've wanted to try an implant but whatever it does-maybe increase appetite-i don't want to risk it
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I never had an issue regarding my weight while on any birth control.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Yes, although the brand I use does not have a week of dummy pills, you just take a 7-day break between packs (if you choose). I always seem to be a pound lighter than usual the day before I start the new pill pack. This is after any bleeding and cramping has finished. It come straight back on about 2 days into the new pack. It's hormone-related, and not real fat that my body is gaining and losing every time.

That's why I asked because I also lose sometimes up to 2 pounds while on my break between pills. Even though my pack has the inactive pills, I don't take them. The 2 pounds returns within a day or so after I start the new pack. It's definitely fluid and water related. These forums are so helpful because it assures us that our bodies are not an anomaly. Thanks for the response.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've been on BC for 15 years and none of the 3 pills I've been on have had any effect on my weight.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 7 years now and it has never affected my weight (I gained weight for other reasons a few years after going on the pill), and I have one of the kinds that goes for 3 months straight at a time. When I actually started counting calories it was pretty easy for me to lose. I do know a couple people though that found that the pill made them gain weight.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    idabest777 wrote: »
    I've been on the pill for 7 years now and it has never affected my weight (I gained weight for other reasons a few years after going on the pill), and I have one of the kinds that goes for 3 months straight at a time. When I actually started counting calories it was pretty easy for me to lose. I do know a couple people though that found that the pill made them gain weight.

Are these the pills that allow you to skip periods, which means you have withdrawal bleeding every 3 months?
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 20 pounds while on birth control, I only gain a few pounds when I have my period.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've never has trouble losing weight on BC. Lost 15lbs on the shot & just lost (the same) almost 20 on Implanon. Finally running into issues now that I'm completely off BC. (And yes, I understand it could be one of those 9 month weight gains ;) but almost exactly after I got my Implanon removed, my weight loss completely stalled.

Just my 2 cents/experience.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill and I've lost 70.2 lbs no problem. I was on the pill before I started my weight loss and I'm still on it.