The Olympic Athletes Inspire Me. You?

The Olympic 2016 contests inspire me to exercise, more than usual. And I like to watch the competition, while I workout. How about you?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yes. They set long and short term goals for themselves, have people (pros, family, teammates,. . . ) working with them, look happy about being successful, and are aware of the cameras.
    Lots of positive energy.
  • JayWillisBBA_AATCIS_BA_AAMath
    edited August 2016
    And we daily or weekly get to the gym, just like the Olympic athletes, minus the sponsors. I like to maintain ability; I am not necessarily into increasing ability.
  • The Olympic water polo team sponsors lowfat chocolate milk. So I bought a pint of lowfat chocolate milk, because of their endorsement and it has 8g of protein. Who else is inspired by these athletes, their endorsements and their sponsorships?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I love seeing clips of their training when they're using same equipment I do like trx, bosu, med balls, etc. Of course they're often doing much harder stuff!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    There's someone from my city who competed this year, so that was kinda cool to see. I'm watching right now, and I admire their dedication and abilities.
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    I dreamt the other night that I was in the Olympics. Sort of. I was in some kind of dance performance. I seemed to be a cross between a Minion and a Mr. Potato Head. (Somehow I feel this is not what the sports announcers are referring to when they wax poetic about "the Olympic dream".)
  • There are several days remaining of the 2016 Olympics. Please continue to post your thoughts on the motivating effects of the 2016 Olympics, on your workouts and nutrition. These athletes make me want to eat my collards and spinach. Vegetables are great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPUaeZC9x4
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Watching the olympics always fills me with longing and regret of my choices. I was on the path to being able to compete in the Taekwondo event when I was a teenager, I was extremely good at what I did. However, I ended up dropping out, doing other sports and eventually get a part time job in lieu of exercise. Now I'm far too slow, and even if I could get my weight down and get back into practicing, I could probably never get back to my prime to compete. I'm still inspired by the competitors, just wish I could have been one of them.
  • JayWillisBBA_AATCIS_BA_AAMath
    edited August 2016
    The exercise keeps us in the game, even if our monetary industry is different from the fitness industry. And I bet you still know some brutal Tae... moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mXB9g7Lx5U
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    They've inspired me to become an athlete. I'm trying to pick which sport, I'm stuck between Tennis and Figure Skating!
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    OMG Van Niekerk just won the 400 and watching his 70 year old grandma coach in the stands made me almost cry.

It was effing amazing.

I agree -- amazing story. Van Niekerk broke Michael Johnson's 17-year old World Record as well.

Van Niekerk's WR win and the Thiam/Ennis-Hill showdown in women's heptathlon have been the T&F highlights for me so far.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    I'm planning on giving rugby 7s a go over summer. The Australian women's team killed it and are definitely all inspirational. Fast, strong, athletic ladies. I also find the underdog stories of the Olympics inspirational - the independent athletes and the refugee swimmer. I have a lot of love for the people who aren't expected to win a medal and come from nowhere to get a bronze - they always seem so genuinely stoked with their wins
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    chel325 wrote: »
    They've inspired me to become an athlete. I'm trying to pick which sport, I'm stuck between Tennis and Figure Skating!

Haha, wrong Olympics for figure skating. Why shouldn't you give tennis or skating a try if it interests you though. You won't become an Olympic athlete overnight but you might discover a new active hobby that you enjoy!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    My husband and I are long distance cyclists and we had a 400 km randonnee last weekend ... cycling 400 km within a 27 hour time limit, including all breaks.

These events make me nervous.

But this time, the Olympics were on and as I was watching the athletes, I thought about how nervous they must be ... and they're doing their events on television for billions of people to see!!

I figured if they can do it in front of such a huge audience, I could do my event. And I did. It was challenging but we finished in 24 hours and 45 min. :)
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    1st Olympics for a young friend of mine (she's got many more years to go) and she won 2 out of twelve races. So inspiring. She followed her dream and though she didn't placed for a medal race, she showed she belongs there with the rest of the best. I think it's the best anyone from my country has ever done. Shows dreaming big can pay off. :smile:
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    YES! The night I saw Bolt run I decided to go to the track and do my own version of the Olympics LOL
  • Here's Shakur Stevenson's next opponent Vladimir Nikitin. I've been an Olympic 2016 boxing fan for about a week. The US Boxing Heavyweight lost. The light welterweight lost on a decision. Only Shakur Stevenson remains. Nikitin appears to be one tough guy. He has a long reach, with powerful punches. Shakur really needs to bring it. Play the academic side of boxing points. And play the strong side of power, for the judges who like powerful punches. And try to outright finish Nikitin, because that may be the only way Shakur wins the fight is by KO or TKO. But this video shows Nikitin's style. Watch and learn. The judges won't necessarily be friendly to Shakur; their calls have already been questionable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpvWLXrFq9A
  • This boxer makes me think I can do anything. Watch Shakur Stevenson, as he clinched at least a bronze in Olympic 2016 boxing bantam-weight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnrKG0bO6D8