Vegetarians eating clean & working out

Options
I've recently switched to a plant based diet after 4 years eating paleo and my whole life being a butchers daughter. Still not convinced that eating grains or legumes is healthy but I'm aware I have to get my protein and total calories somehow. Also trying to maintain my muscle mass, energy levels and body fat levels. Anybody else out there in a similar position?

✌️

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and workout and eat more whole foods than not. Hasn't been a problem...but I do eat beans and grains because they are healthy..
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why? There is no reason to cut out whole food groups unless medically advised.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you are plant based it is very hard to get enough protein without legumes. Why would you think legumes and whole grains aren't healthy? They are the best source of healthy proteins and carbs.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm currently plant based, however I want to get back to being completly Ovo Lacto Vegetarian.

I recently started taking Muay Thai and working out at the gym three or four days a week (running, kettlebells) im finding that its complicated to keep in line with my Macros and find myself Glycogen deprived at times during training.

Yes i know this could be deemed overtraining, but after my time off from training, i have decided that I need to push it a bit.

School, training, work, and play take up a lot of time, so any information you have on maitining a vegetarian diet on the go it would be helpfull.

Thanks,

P.S.things im thinking about in regards to this post is......

1. Excessive Carb Cutting is not a good idea the brain and body need them for work.

2. I need to find an easy way to keep Glyc stores up, and get them up rapidly if need be.

3. My protein intake should be ok at this point and time. I eat enough beans and such to handle this.

Not so hard to handle with Bodybuilding, but with Muay Thai, i find this to be more of a challenge, beacause of the way energy is used.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm currently plant based, however I want to get back to being completly Ovo Lacto Vegetarian.

I recently started taking Muay Thai and working out at the gym three or four days a week (running, kettlebells) im finding that its complicated to keep in line with my Macros and find myself Glycogen deprived at times during training.

Yes i know this could be deemed overtraining, but after my time off from training, i have decided that I need to push it a bit.

School, training, work, and play take up a lot of time, so any information you have on maitining a vegetarian diet on the go it would be helpfull.

Thanks,

1. Excessive Carb Cutting is not a good idea the brain and body need them for work.

2. I need to find an easy way to keep Glyc stores up, and get them up rapidly if need be.

3. My protein intake should be ok at this point and time. I eat enough beans and such to handle this.

Not so hard to handle with Bodybuilding, but with Muay Thai, i find this to be more of a challenge, beacause of the way energy is used.

Eat more carbs
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    That’s because carbohydrates — whether they’re floating around in your blood as glucose or stored in your muscles and liver as glycogen — are your body’s favorite fuel for high-intensity exercise, says Susan Kleiner, Ph.D., R.D., author of Power Eating and a sports nutrition consultant to top NFL, NBA, and Olympic athletes.

Throughout the day, aim to consume carbs with a low glycemic index (GI); they’ll provide sustained energy rather than spiking your blood sugar. Choose whole food sources of carbohydrates, like fruits, non-starchy vegetables, and whole grains, Gentilcore says. Your picks should be rich in fiber, and it’s always smart to pair them with lean protein and healthy fats.
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/carbohydrates-pre-post-workout-carbs/
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian butcher's daughter, too!

I cut out meat because I just can't digest the stuff, but after half a lifetime of vegetarianism I can't stress "eat everything, and in moderation" enough. Every time I've bought into cutting whole food groups out, or going raw, or whatever, I felt awful after a while. As my fitness regime increases, I need those grains and legumes and everything else to give my body what it needs. I humbly recommend sticking with what works for YOUR body--it'll tell you an awful lot!
  • Aola23
    Aola23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I'm vegetarian too! I try to eat good whole foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible. I know the mantra on here is just count your calories, where the calories come from is irrelevant, but I would strongly disagree with this. While I sometimes fall off the wagon and eat crap, it is still very important to me that I eat good food that fuels my body! I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on my protein intake - I am a 19 yr old female and I exercise (cardio and strength training) 5-6 times a week. My daily goal right now is about 80g but I'm just looking for a second opinion on this, anyone have any thoughts? Also, just wondering if you guys take any dietary supplements? Thanks!
  • Aola23
    Aola23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks,

Eat more carbs
    Yes I would agree with this advice, it's essential you refuel with carbohydrates after you exercise and if you're intensely working out, as you seem to be, up your post workout portions of carbs and protein.