DXA and RMR analysis today

Options
Today I got a workup done which calculated my resting metabolic rate and did a DXA scan for body composition. I learned some interesting things. I'm 6'3, 194 lbs, and apparently 23% body fat. My RMR is only 1699 calories per day (15% below average. I assume partly because my lean mass is (relatively) low and partly genes. It should be "1982" based on my height weight and age.

So while my BMI is in the green zone, I am not. I'm not eating nearly enough protein in my diet, and I need to get on some strength training pronto. This test gave my actual lean muscle mass, 141 lb. I can accurately use that to gauge my grams of protein I need per day. Its a lot of grams.

On the good side, my visceral adipose measured "0.0%" and my bone mineralization was high.

I got this done at a local university who had a fitness lab in the basement. As a graduate degree alum, I got a discount. A modest discount, but a discount nonetheless.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    that's cool. Now you know!
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    does anyone here have any guidance to preserving lean mass while losing fat? I was told I have to consume 1.1 - 1.4 grams protein daily per pound of lean mass (which I now know) to keep muscles from wasting while I run a modest calorie deficit to lose fat. And do some strength training too. All while keeping it in my daily calorie budget. I'm in the green BMI zone but need to "recompose" my body.
    Anyone have success with this?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    does anyone here have any guidance to preserving lean mass while losing fat? I was told I have to consume 1.1 - 1.4 grams protein daily per pound of lean mass (which I now know) to keep muscles from wasting while I run a modest calorie deficit to lose fat. And do some strength training too. All while keeping it in my daily calorie budget. I'm in the green BMI zone but need to "recompose" my body.
    Anyone have success with this?

The correct amount is .8-1.2g of protein per pound of lean body mass for athletes and muscle retention.

http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/08/02/how-much-weight-canshould-you-lose-each-week/

"As we lose weight we lose a combination of fat, muscle mass, and water. In order to maintain optimal muscle mass or minimize muscle catabolization you must consume adequate protein (.8g-1.2g per pound lean body mass), eat a moderate calorie deficit, and consistently perform resistance exercise.

In order to lose weight safely and effectively you should aim to consume a diet that is high enough in calories to provide all of the essential micronutrition, fats, and amino acids our bodies need; while providing you enough energy to sustain the calorie goal over time. In order to achieve weight loss this means this goal should be less overall calories (energy) than it takes to maintain our body’s current weight.

It’s important that when we’re setting goals we look to how we’ll be able to maintain our losses long term and what state our bodies will be in when we acheive our goal. A body with more muscle mass will require more energy each day and subsequently will have a higher metabolic rate.

Okay, so how much can i actually lose? What’s moderate?

You should aim to lose no more than 1% of your total body weight per week.

If you’re within 10 pounds of your goal -or- Less than 20% body fat for women/15% Body fat for men half this measurement.

By maintaining a moderate calorie deficit, eating a nutritionally complete diet, and consistent training you’ll be well on your way to a happy healthy body long-term! "

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Came in to write exactly this ^^^^^^