Fitbit HR, Weighted Vests, Nutrisystem, & due to birth a baby in a month

Options
Thinking about the above mentioned items to help me loose weight after our son Parker is born. I'm an unfortunate 324lbs and before pregnancy I was still an unfortunate 269lbs. I was ready for my weight loss journey before I got pregnant but I'm just glad my husband and i could conceive a baby. I'm due in a month and would appreciate any positive and negative advice on weighted vests since I haven't bought one yet but I'm thinking about it so I can walk with our son in a stroller around the neighborhood with it on and hopefully loose a little more weight then I would without it. I would like to buy the Fitbit charge HR because I think it would help me be more driven (I'm a little competitive) if I could connect with other people and know if I'm actually trying hard enough. Nutrisystem I'd like because then I might be able to see why I'm not loosing weight and help me with portion sized and what im suppose to be eating plus my husband can make whatever he wants while I eat an easy to make meal. I'd really like to loose 50-100lbs by next May when we will be going to Florida again. But I met my husband almost 4yrs ago in November at 175lbs (my husband is 165lbs & has stayed that way since high school 2009) and I'd like to get back there maybe not this upcoming year but before we have another child if we get lucky enough to have another (2-3yrs apart Is ideal for me) not just because I want to look hot again and have my confidence back but because I know I won't be able to get pregnant again and deal with this weight while I'm pregnant with a 2 or 3yr old trying to manage a farm and my own business that id like to have around that time too. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my small book. :)

Replies

• jmeyers300
    jmeyers300 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I plan on breast feeding but I'm going to supplement his breast milk with formula(1/2breast milk and 1/2 formula) since I need to go back on my ADD meds for a test that i need to pass since I can't retain new information very well without it and my meds aren't safe to breast feed with so I'm going to be freezing my milk for him to have while Im on my meds and until they get out of my system. But unfortunately no I will be too stressed out to physically make my meals even if my husband stays at home for a month since this test is literally going to make or break me aka we wont be able to afford to move into a house and the rental we live in now the lady wants to have us move out by April so I need to get my credit score up and a down payment somehow before then with a new born since my husband doesn't make anything. But I'm stock piled for our son on diapers, wipes and everything else he'd need at home. When I get stressed I can't remember anything to save my life. But I've been told walking is safe during the first 6 weeks and thats what I'll be doing not walking a mile or anything crazy like that for the first 4weeks but I was told nutrisystem is basically just prepackaged food that is suppose to be nutritional without taking a supplement plus the money back guarantee makes me think it might be worth while but idk for sure.

What's a one or a zip? Ibe never heard of them before but interested to know. I just like to know my heart rate since ive had heart problems in the past and don't want to go over a certain bpm or else I feel like I'm going to kill over. And i like the idea of how it keeps track of your steps and sleep since I'd like to know if I'm getting enough sleep. But I don't know anything about training zones.

Thank you for commenting. Im also thinking about getting a nutritionist too. I grew up in a house that really didn't teach me how to eat right. And my mom is 400lbs too while my step dad is 180lbs. I was always active in high scjool and then I moved out on my own and still was skinny because I couldn't afford to feed myself barley but my husband can eat anything and everything without gaining a pound and if I got a nutritionist maybe he wouldn't loose more weight since if he looses 20lbs he will look like a literal skeleton. I've tried eating smaller portions and made healthier choices but when I do that my husband looses weight even doing it for a week. And no I really don't have another reliable support system either.
  • Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I had my son 5 1/2 months ago, weight loss was probably the last thing on my mind as I was so tired all the time and didn't want to cook anything. I personally wouldn't buy anything until after the baby is born and you have got yourself into a routine. I only really started thinking about my weight properly about 2 weeks ago and I'd say my eating is much better but exercise is difficult to fit in and some days I just really don't want to even though I know I really should.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I own and love weighted vests. However, I'm also in the low 150s. Seriously, save that thing for later. Your connective tissue and bones are under enough stress already.

What you could do though, if you really want to buy one, is use it to help you keep perspective as you lose weight. Once you've dropped 20 pounds, slap 20 pounds into the vest and wear it around for the day. Do the same at 40, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Start just logging your food with MFP now. Pay attention to calorie counts of various foods.
    After your baby is born set MFP to lose 1-2 lbs a week and eat the calories you are given. Have a reasonable calorie deficit and lose weight. It is free and you can eat whatever food you like. Get enough protein. Fill your day with more vegetables and fruits. Don't go super low fat.
    Walking is good exercise. You don't need a weighted vest or any devices.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't add to the previous information. But if you are going to exercise pushing a stroller then don't don't get a wrist worn fitbit, they don't pick up steps accurately when you're holding on to something. Go for a clip on device like a zip or one, they clip onto the middle of your bra.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I can't add to the previous information. But if you are going to exercise pushing a stroller then don't don't get a wrist worn fitbit, they don't pick up steps accurately when you're holding on to something. Go for a clip on device like a zip or one, they clip onto the middle of your bra.

Or just put the wrist one in your pocket
  • JenniferOBX12
    JenniferOBX12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all the posts but I believe nutrisystem wants you to wait 6-12 months before starting if breastfeeding and they put you on a 1800 calorie plan.

Their frozen foods are really good but I got tired if them with a few week especially for dinner each night. They are expensive but you can reduce costs by using gift cards bought at Costco.
  • jmeyers300
    jmeyers300 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Fortunately I do have a costco membership but unfortunately I can't physically afford to not be concerned about my weight but also can't physically afford to make my own dishes mainly because idk how and my husband broke our oven so we can't use it til it's fixed. I have had heart problems in the past but not recently and my mother has a lot of health problems because of her weight and yes I understand I'm under taking a lot and might be asking for too much all at once but I have no choice. My husband doesn't make anything barely and I get a certain amount of money a month because of my grandma that passed 3yrs ago so I haven't really had a job for more than 2-5months for the passed 3yrs. (1st 2 years I was depressed and it took me a year to pass two classes after being depressed now just need to pass this final test and I could make $5k a month at least and afford a down payment on a house in a year) I did not know that about nutrisystem so I think I will try the half veggie plate idea. And I will try those links about nutritional information too but I might still go to a nutritionist due to the fact that I need to be accountable/need to become more educated on how to eat for my body. But i will wait to do the weighted vest for 6 weeks and I'll stay close to home before then but still walk a block after two to three weeks. I can't stay in the house, and I can't sacrifice my body anymore other than breast feeding after hes born. I'm literally going crazy right now. My husband and I have been trying/not preventing for 2yrs but I am very independent and strong willed if I put my mind to something if I physically and mentally can do it myself I usually do it. I think I will think about getting just a hip pedometer.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For me, my first took the longest to recover from. I needed every single day of the 6 weeks and even for a couple of months after, it hurt to walk after more than half an hour or so. Be kind to yourself.

Also, if you're breastfeeding, you don't want to set up too deep of a deficit or you can end up with supply issues. I wouldnt advocate for setting your weight loss goal higher than 1 lb per week until you're finished nursing.

You'll get there. And honestly, it's a lot easier to fit this stuff in with one baby than it is when you have more. They sleep a lot until they're about six months old and even then you'll have 2-3 fairly regular naps to jam your non baby obligations into.

Also, do you have a crock pot? Crock pot literally saved my life after I had my second baby. I recovered within a week, I swear but I was so exhausted I had energy for nothing. If you don't have a crock pot, I HIGHLY recommend it. Then you can make things like stews, Chilis, even some casseroles. There are almost always leftovers and then you have a few easy meals in the fridge or freezer when you're in a pinch.

Best of luck!! Congratulations :smile:
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can use MFP and friends on here to keep yourself accountable. You don't need to pay someone for that. You don't need an oven or classes to make healthy food. Google healthy crock pot meal ideas. There are so many that you can prep and freeze. When you're ready to use them you just take them out of the freezer the night before and put them in the slow cooker before you leave for the day and boom you're done and you will have leftovers for lunch the next day.
    I'd say since you know you will be beastfeeding to not try to lose more than half a pound a week. I understand being scared about your health and wanting to make some positive changes but honestly, taking on too much at once will make it harder than it needs to be. Make some small sustainable changes now, don't worry too much about making the pounds fall off. You will get there.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Will your insurance cover a dietician (not a nutritionist)? If so I highly recommend it, since you need to learn nutrition and portion sizes.

Nutrisystem will give you portion sizes but is expensive and you will not learn proper nutrition. Plus with a history of heart concerns, breastfeeding and having so much to lose a registered dietician is probably the most helpful. He/she will help you set up a plan and have you track what you eat (when I was going, she recommended myfitnesspal).
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh and I haven't had a working oven for years. I mainly use a big skillet and a sauce pan. I did finally by a countertop oven but don't really use it that much.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jmeyers300 wrote: »
    Yes I plan on breast feeding but I'm going to supplement his breast milk with formula(1/2breast milk and 1/2 formula) since I need to go back on my ADD meds for a test that i need to pass since I can't retain new information very well without it and my meds aren't safe to breast feed with so I'm going to be freezing my milk for him to have while Im on my meds and until they get out of my system. But unfortunately no I will be too stressed out to physically make my meals even if my husband stays at home for a month since this test is literally going to make or break me aka we wont be able to afford to move into a house and the rental we live in now the lady wants to have us move out by April so I need to get my credit score up and a down payment somehow before then with a new born since my husband doesn't make anything. But I'm stock piled for our son on diapers, wipes and everything else he'd need at home. When I get stressed I can't remember anything to save my life. But I've been told walking is safe during the first 6 weeks and thats what I'll be doing not walking a mile or anything crazy like that for the first 4weeks but I was told nutrisystem is basically just prepackaged food that is suppose to be nutritional without taking a supplement plus the money back guarantee makes me think it might be worth while but idk for sure.

What's a one or a zip? Ibe never heard of them before but interested to know. I just like to know my heart rate since ive had heart problems in the past and don't want to go over a certain bpm or else I feel like I'm going to kill over. And i like the idea of how it keeps track of your steps and sleep since I'd like to know if I'm getting enough sleep. But I don't know anything about training zones.

Thank you for commenting. Im also thinking about getting a nutritionist too. I grew up in a house that really didn't teach me how to eat right. And my mom is 400lbs too while my step dad is 180lbs. I was always active in high scjool and then I moved out on my own and still was skinny because I couldn't afford to feed myself barley but my husband can eat anything and everything without gaining a pound and if I got a nutritionist maybe he wouldn't loose more weight since if he looses 20lbs he will look like a literal skeleton. I've tried eating smaller portions and made healthier choices but when I do that my husband looses weight even doing it for a week. And no I really don't have another reliable support system either.

I have heart problems. If you have heart problems, is ADD medication a good idea? Maybe you need to speak to a cardiologist and get on some beta blockers to help control your heart rate. I've suffered from arrythmias for years and I have an implantable loop recorder, been through a cardiac ablation and need to take beta blockers for the rest of my life.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Plan meals now and start freezing! I was so exhausted with both kids I ate crap that was fast and easy instead of really being healthy. You can cut and freeze fruits now and put them out in the morning or night before in the fridge to eat. If it wasn't an easy open package or took a minute in the microwave I didn't do it. I would forget foods in the microwave sometimes. Fitbits helped me get moving but be careful because it won't always pick up stroller pushes.