Working out gaining weight

Options
Good Morning

I am hoping for friendly and helpful responses.

I started my workout routine at the beginning of this year, so about 8 months now. 3-4 days of cardio and 4-5 strength training days a week. I started off around 111-113 and I'm now at 118-120. Petite 5'3

I have been tracking my meals and have not increased calories. I also cut out alcohol awhile back.

Any feedback is appreciated

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What was your initial intent with your calorie goal? Lose or gain? If you meant to lose you must be eating more than you think.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Most people typically pick up about 4lbs or so of water weight when doing a lifting program. The rest of the weight could be a combo of muscle and fat, it is hard to say without more information. Were you eating at a deficit? wereyou tryign to gain, maintain or cut?
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds in a year and I solely weight train. Are you happy with how your body looks? That's the important part--not your weight. I'm cutting some weight right now for more muscle definition, but I'm overall pretty happy with what I've got going on :)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in 8 months sounds pretty solid if you're lifting.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Not if she's not eating at surplus. That much muscle won't be added unless she is.

OP, I'd have to guess that you're really eating more than you think you are. It could also just be persistent water gain due to muscle repair.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Not if she's not eating at surplus. That much muscle won't be added unless she is.

OP, I'd have to guess that you're really eating more than you think you are. It could also just be persistent water gain due to muscle repair.

dude what
  • laurenlkane
    laurenlkane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

dude what

shes saying to get that much muscle you need to be eating in a surplus
  • laurenlkane
    Options

dude what

You may be right. I may need to keep a better record of what I'm actually eating. I also don't think I was eating complete meals at my lower weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

dude what

The what comes from the fact the OP never stated what their goal was or what energy state their calories where in. The OP is probably in a very small surplus based on that much gain over that period of time.

OP, what are you goals? Also, do you follow a structured lifting routine? If not, I highly suggest one. If you want to maximize strength and potential muscle gains, then a 3 day full body routine would be ideal. Below is a good list of programs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Try weighing after rest days. I've found that weight after a lifting day can shoot up due to water retention [I've gained six pounds after a lifting day before, only to have it drop off after a rest day].
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

As she is gaining weight over an extended period of time then it's a reasonable assumption she is in fact in a surplus.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

dude what

The what comes from the fact the OP never stated what their goal was or what energy state their calories where in. The OP is probably in a very small surplus based on that much gain over that period of time.

OP, what are you goals? Also, do you follow a structured lifting routine? If not, I highly suggest one. If you want to maximize strength and potential muscle gains, then a 3 day full body routine would be ideal. Below is a good list of programs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I agree with what you are saying. just was letting the person know what the op meant by what they said about it.
  • LazSommer
    Options

dude what

I agree with what you are saying. just was letting the person know what the op meant by what they said about it.

lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

dude what

lol

lol?
  • SueInAz
    edited August 2016
    Options

dude what

Thanks, that's exactly what I was saying. :smile:

The OP didn't state enough information about her actual goals other than the assertion that she hadn't changed her calories. That led me to assume that she was wondering why she's gaining weight if she's not eating more.

My response to the "5 lbs in 8 months sounds pretty solid if you're lifting. " comment was geared towards that. It's a great gain, for sure, if you're trying but the OP seemed to think she was still eating at a deficit.

dude what

You may be right. I may need to keep a better record of what I'm actually eating. I also don't think I was eating complete meals at my lower weight.

The good news is, you haven't wasted effort since you've undoubtedly gained some muscle over the past few months. If you cut back on calories and keep lifting you should shed fat and look better at your lower weight.
  • hanwatts2016
    hanwatts2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it could be too much weight training, as this happened to me i was doing 2kettle bell classes week, body pump, spin twice then 3-4 cardio classes i gained huge amount muscle to broke my classes down and did more running that worked for me x
  • SueInAz
    Options
    it could be too much weight training, as this happened to me i was doing 2kettle bell classes week, body pump, spin twice then 3-4 cardio classes i gained huge amount muscle to broke my classes down and did more running that worked for me x

"Too much" weight training doesn't cause weight gain if you're eating at a caloric deficit. It doesn't work like that. You can't really build muscle unless you're eating more calories than you burn. While eating to lose weight strength training helps you maintain more of the muscle you already have.
  • laurenlkane
    Options
    Sorry I was not clear about my goals but I truly appreciate all the feedback.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

"Too much" weight training doesn't cause weight gain if you're eating at a caloric deficit. It doesn't work like that. You can't really build muscle unless you're eating more calories than you burn. While eating to lose weight strength training helps you maintain more of the muscle you already have.

Well you can gain muscle in a deficit. It is just not as ideal and not at the rate you woulf in a surplus.