Workouts?!!

Options
fatoomalrowaiei
fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Im trying to know the difference between cardio and strength
I do video workouts for an hour that include lots of exercises (one video for arm, for legs, abs, butt, ) <<< does this mean cardio and strength or am i doin it wrong?!
Sometimes i do an hour of jillian michaels video "lots of circuit" so i dont know
Can anyone tell me is it right?!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Strength = resistance. Can be bodyweight or with free/machine weights. If you are jumping or moving around = cardio
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Circuit is like a mixture of cardio and strength training. It basically makes you do 500 things at once. I've never done it but my co-worker talks about it all the time and it sounds like the worst thing ever. Cute Togepi btw.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    Circuit is like a mixture of cardio and strength training. It basically makes you do 500 things at once. I've never done it but my co-worker talks about it all the time and it sounds like the worst thing ever. Cute Togepi btw.

So what im doin is right ?!
    Can you suggest any strength workout?!
    Lol thanks :)
  • fitgamercatlady
    Options

I read your comment in a different thread that you don't want to do weight lifting though, is that correct?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is a combination of cardiovascular exercise and resistance training. You will gain some measure of strength, but it's primarily cardio and muscular endurance training. Perhaps semantics (but not really)...but strength training is it's own thing and is done to optimize strength and is generally done with heavy weights as a % of your max on a particular lift with low reps and focuses on compound movements and will have much more rest between sets and movements.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options

I read your comment in a different thread that you don't want to do weight lifting though, is that correct?

Not that i dont want to , but lots of people say i have to do strength two times a week to not lose my muscles
    I just got confused cause i do a full hour of video but dont know if it was mix of cardio and strength or just cardio and i got scared
    You know jillian michael?! banish fat metabolism
    There are 7 circuits with jumping , burpees, high knees, plank, front kicks, squats ,abs, montain climbers )
    Is that a mix and enough??
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Circuit training is a combination of cardiovascular exercise and resistance training. You will gain some measure of strength, but it's primarily cardio and muscular endurance training. Perhaps semantics (but not really)...but strength training is it's own thing and is done to optimize strength and is generally done with heavy weights as a % of your max on a particular lift with low reps and focuses on compound movements and will have much more rest between sets and movements.

Would you suggest a youtube video or a table of weightlifting exercises that i can use for strength trainint
  • fitgamercatlady
    Options

Not that i dont want to , but lots of people say i have to do strength two times a week to not lose my muscles
    I just got confused cause i do a full hour of video but dont know if it was mix of cardio and strength or just cardio and i got scared
    There are 7 circuits with jumping , burpees, high knees, plank, front kicks, squats ,abs, montain climbers )

I don't really do circuit training, but I think as long as you're having enough protein you should be okay :)
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options

I don't really do circuit training, but I think as long as you're having enough protein you should be okay :)

Oh okay thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Would you suggest a youtube video or a table of weightlifting exercises that i can use for strength trainint

I think you're fine doing circuits...there is an element of resistance involved and that's what is important to minimizing muscle loss...that coupled with adequate protein and a reasonable calorie deficit.

If you want to do actual strength training, to my knowledge there really aren't videos or anything for that...and you'd likely need to get into a properly equipped gym unless you could build your own at home.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options

I think you're fine doing circuits...there is an element of resistance involved and that's what is important to minimizing muscle loss...that coupled with adequate protein and a reasonable calorie deficit.

If you want to do actual strength training, to my knowledge there really aren't videos or anything for that...and you'd likely need to get into a properly equipped gym unless you could build your own at home.

Oh thank you so much
    So i guess i should add weight lifting workouts
    :smile: