Too hot to work out

Options
124»

Replies

• KittyVida
    KittyVida Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern Florida. Right now it's anywhere between 94 to 96 degrees in the afternoons. It's deadly! Humidity makes it worse. I concur with all the advice about early morning or late evening (or night time) workouts. Also, find some workouts you can do indoors from the comfort of your own living room. Get a few weights, a jump rope, or a yoga mat and pop in (or YouTube) some workout videos.
    *My new fav is the weighted hula hoop. I've just ordered a new 3 lb hoop. It burns 5-7 calories a min if you combine arm movements!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You don't mention whether your workout routine is new - that will make a difference. If you're not conditioned to working out in the heat, I'd advise against doing it. Find a workout indoors, or do something like swimming outdoors, that is a bit more cooling.

I live in Michigan, where it's in the 90s recently, and pretty humid. I still keep rowing, even though it's pretty hot on the river, especially on sunny days. But I've been rowing in summer for years, and within the on-water season the weather has warmed up semi-gradually so I get acclimated to it slowly. Even so, I'm likely to stick to steady-state workouts on the warmer outings, saving more intense work for slightly cooler or at least less humid or more breezy days.

If you do work out outside, drink plenty of water. On the river, I'll also wet my cotton ball cap or my t-shirt to add some evaporative cooling, which works a bit even on humid days. At summer racing events, I'd take an extra water bottle to dump over myself in the boat right before the start. Those gel-crystal-filled neck/head bands can help, too - the ones you soak in water before wearing (you can even store them in the refrigerator).

Stay attentive to any woozy feelings, slight lack of coordination, or anything else that can signal a heat-related problem, and stop the workout early if those happen.

Somehow, I manage to keep rowing despite the heat. But housework? It's too darn hot for that! ;)

I'm not new to Insanity but I am just starting over after an extended break due to injury. I couldn't walk for 6 weeks and spent the next 4 increasing daily activity before getting medically approved to work out again.

We just happened to have a heat wave my first 2 weeks back at it. Temps aren't usually triple digits here so I was struggling. I did modified Insanity a little slower than normal in the dark to keep it cooler just to stay on track.
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Do you still work out when its a heat wave? I find I'm really struggling. Its about 90 degrees inside and a little hotter out. The heat wipes my energy and I feel like I can hardly do anything. I eat less because the heat kills my appetite too but my goal is to get fit not skinny.

If you live in the heat what do you do to power through? What tips can you offer?

I live in Las Vegas. If I am walking I am up and out at sunrise. It can be in the 80s at that time. I make sure I am hydrating while I'm walking. If I'm indoors, I have the AC down to 77.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise in a/c facility plus kettle bells in my a/c home. I don't exercise outside on hot days.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Hot weather doesn't bother me. It's usually 80-100 in the summer where I live and I enjoy it.

Just need to make sure that I have a towel and water on hand. Usually work out in my garage or backyard. Have a fan on when I'm in the garage and take precautions as needed against the sun when I'm in the backyard.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It matters not.
    Exercise is paramount for physical fitness, so if that's important to you, never skip a workout but schedule rest days.
    In 6 months it'll be too cold to train...or whatever...
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hardly: I also find the struggle to be a bit more difficult; consuming and retaining enough water before exercising adds more to the challenge. Substituting your regular hot meals with cold and raw dishes will help a little bit with temperature, but you'll still need to maintain good hydration levels before considering to workout. Try to eat small cold or raw easily digestible servings throughout the day, maintain good breathing and calmness, avoid heat whenever possible, and drink cold water.