Low cal lunches....suggestions please?

Options
Both my husband and I are dieting. We've been on the DASH diet for Weight Loss for nearly a month now and doing well. What a difference it has made to eat well and cut out the junk foods. I no longer have that afternoon "slump" in my energy.

I'm currently on a 1200 cal diet w/ light activity, and my husband has a desk job and gets little exercise. I need suggestions for healthy, easy lunch recipes with a decent amnt of protein ( helps us feel full longer ).

My husband takes his lunch to work and may not always have access to a microwave. He is able to refrigerate.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    water
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try soup in a thermos with added chicken, fish or Tofu. Or smoked salmon and salad. Try grilled cold chicken and home made cabbage/carrot slaw with a sesame dressing. Two egg omelette cooked in the morning then served cold with salad. Or crudité with 1desertspoonful of mayonnaise and one or two hard boiled eggs. Or any salad with added brown rice, 25g wholemeal pasta or quinoa. Sprinkle with nuts of cheese to boost protein.
    Or a sandwich?
    For desert organic yogurt and/or fresh fruit.
    Happy eating!
  • jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing for lunch almost every day. I eat a tuna salad and i use 1 can of tuna (in water) drained, then a little bit of light mayo and pickle relish. You can put the tuna on a corn tortilla and add avocado. Cherry tomatoes and some fruit on the side.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are easy and low cal, sometimes I take salads to work or even leftovers from the night before!
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My wife and I make our lunches for the whole week Sunday afternoon.
    baked chicken breast 4oz for her and 6oz for me
    broccoli 100 grams
    peas or green beans 90 grams
    this is less that 400 calories
    Sometimes we add black beans or chick peas or some type of squash
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Lots of articles about lunches on the MFP blog: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?s=lunch
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt response. I'm in the grocery store now!
  • brooke88z
    brooke88z Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat no salt added cottage cheese. For flavor you can add chives.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,997 Member
    Options
    I eat Tuna with wheat thins and laughing cow cheese. Sometimes I add pickles (my husband made some awesome bread and butter pickles this summer) and since I've moved into maintenance I've been adding some Guacamole. It's about 280-380 calories and over 18 g of protein.
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Great ideas!