What Percentage of cals is YOUR Breakfast?

Options
13»

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is almost always about 450 calories, and I eat anywhere from 1350 to 1950 calories a day (depending on if/how much I exercise) so... it depends. Anywhere from 33% to 23%, depending on the day.

I love breakfast!!!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    On an average day:-

Breakfast - 16%
    Mid Morning - 11%
    Lunch - 13%
    Mid Afternoon - 10%
    Dinner - 25%
    Snacks (generally eaten after 5pm) - 25%

Maybe my balance is a bit off...interesthing tho 'cos I never thought about it before
  • bethie624
    bethie624 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually somewhere around 200 calories. I know they say its the most important meal, but its just not my favorite meal. I eat most of my calories at dinner, which again I know "they say" is not best, but it works for me and I have had no weight loss issues. I say everyone needs to figure out what works for them.

I agree...my breakfast is usually only about 200 - 300 calories. I was never a big breakfast person so I am proud of myself for eating breakfast everyday now. I use the majority of my calories on my dinner but we eat dinner fairly early at about 5:00. Then I am normally done eating for the day....no late night snacks!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    0%

I cannot stand breakfast. The whole thing about breakfast being the most important meal, and you may even burn off your breakfast calories just from the kickstart it gives your metabolism is a myth. The only thing they can really prove is that eating breakfast MAY reduce the craving to snack. But if you dont snack, then it doesnt really matter, its just 300-400 odd calories from your daily budget gone. I prefer to save those for when im actually hungry.

Still...each to their own :)
  • fireyes
    fireyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    About 15%, because I usually just have a bowl of cereal. I don't like having a big breakfast; it makes me feel weighed down. I do usually have some fruit becereal and lunch, so I guess that would up it to about 20%. Dinner is my biggest meal, but I eat early enough that I have a few hours before bed after eating.
  • JoshuaHansford
    Options
    0%

I cannot stand breakfast. The whole thing about breakfast being the most important meal, and you may even burn off your breakfast calories just from the kickstart it gives your metabolism is a myth. The only thing they can really prove is that eating breakfast MAY reduce the craving to snack. But if you dont snack, then it doesnt really matter, its just 300-400 odd calories from your daily budget gone. I prefer to save those for when im actually hungry.

First of all, you are correct that everybody is different and to each their own. That being said, I wouldn't go so far as saying that breakfast jumpstarting your metabolism is a myth.

When we fast, or abstain from consuming calories, our metabolism slows down. For most of us, the first meal of the day ends our longest fast of the day. Thats why its called breakfast....you are breaking your fast from the evening before.

The longer you put off your first meal, the more likely your metabolism is to slow. The same can be said for how long you wait between every meal. The longer you go without feeding something to your body, the more likey your metabolism is to slow.

But, again...Im not trying to say you are wrong here. B/C I agree first and foremost that everybody is different and needs to find what works for them. Just something else for people reading to think about.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is normally only 150-200 cals, usually just a bowl of cereal but that's all I want at that time.
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    between 25-30% I was one of those the used to never eat breakfast, but now Its my big meal to start my day. I usually have a protein shake, and either eggs and a couple strips of bacon or 1/2 a bagel. I feel much better now that I am having breakfast.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    0%

First of all, you are correct that everybody is different and to each their own. That being said, I wouldn't go so far as saying that breakfast jumpstarting your metabolism is a myth.

When we fast, or abstain from consuming calories, our metabolism slows down. For most of us, the first meal of the day ends our longest fast of the day. Thats why its called breakfast....you are breaking your fast from the evening before.

The longer you put off your first meal, the more likely your metabolism is to slow. The same can be said for how long you wait between every meal. The longer you go without feeding something to your body, the more likey your metabolism is to slow.

But, again...Im not trying to say you are wrong here. B/C I agree first and foremost that everybody is different and needs to find what works for them. Just something else for people reading to think about.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-skipping-breakfast-bad-for-you.aspx

Seems every site has a different opinion... =/
  • BeilaLin
    BeilaLin Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for this link to more convincing info! I know my link was not that good, just interesting advice from some random blogger after doing a quick google search...

According to this study in your link, body weight and fat mass was significantly reduced! You can see it in the charts clearly!

For those of you who are eating less than 15% of cals for breakfast, you may be eating larger dinners and it's working for you, but think about the POTENTIAL you can lose by switching to a larger breakfast!

For a full text version of the study from the previous poster on this subject go here:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/1/75.long

Article name:

"Weight Loss is Greater with Consumption of Large Morning Meals and Fat-Free Mass Is Preserved with Large Evening Meals in Women on a Controlled Weight Reduction Regimen"

The study shows that people who eat more for breakfast and less for dinner lost a bit more weight, but they lost a significantly larger amount of MUSCLE during that time. While the folks with the bigger dinner lost a bit less overall weight, they lost almost no muscle, and actually lost significantly more fat.

I sure hope that the goal of the people here is to lose FAT not to lose muscle.

I also hope that the goal for everyone is to lose fat not muscle, but the term that the study uses, "Fat-Free Mass" is not just ALL muscle, this also includes water, tissue and bone weight, all of which can affect overall body weight.

This research study is not the only one conducted concerning the matter of whether it's better to eat more at breakfast or at dinner time (or balanced throughout the day for that matter). I think this one study just helps show that there is a difference, no matter how insignificant the difference is.

It also implies what others have said on this thread..."to each their own"...every person's diet, metabolism, schedule, and eating habits, and body composition is different, and we should do what works for us to find balance.

For those that are struggling to find this balance, it is a general consensus among the nutrionist community that eating more at breakfast (as opposed to later in the day), and eating more proteins at breakfast helps sustain you throughout the day. This will help give you more energy to use for exercise, and just to go about doing your daily activities without worrying about having to eat.

I vote for DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST, however, if you just aren't hungry for some reason one morning, so what. Skip it.

No one should force you to eat if you aren't hungry.

If you are someone that skips it every day, try switching it up, and see if eating more at breakfast and less at night helps you with further weight loss if you are at a stall in progress.

Your body craves changes in its day to day routine.

This also applies your daily exercise. Do it earlier in the morning. Split it into 2 sessions and do it in the morning and night. Do higher intensity and in less time.

Try something new before totally dismissing it without giving it a try.