Breastfeeding

Options
lTlasha
lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
I heard there was a way to add that you're breastfeeding onto your diary but I can't figure out how..can anyone help?

Replies

• CMayBos
    CMayBos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This a response that another wonderful BFing mama gave me when I had the same question recently:

"You can add breastfeeding to your food diary (negative calories) or add it as exercise. Or set your goal to maintenance and let breastfeeding create the deficit. Whatever is easiest. Exclusively breastfeeding a 5mo, you're probably needing about 500 calories per day to support that. As your baby gets older and starts eating other meals, adjust down as needed."
  • karinana25
    karinana25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I created "breastfeeding" in "cardio" section :)
  • CMayBos
    CMayBos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    karinana25 wrote: »
    I created "breastfeeding" in "cardio" section :)

Me too!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can enter "breastfeeding" in the food database - it gives you several options
  • Joannew87
    Joannew87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness. I am so thick!! I am currently breastfeeding a 6 month old and totally forgot to factor this in. What a numpty. I've been adjusting well to the lower calorie intake that mfp recommends but it probably hasn't helped my little man out any :-/ oops!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Joannew87 wrote: »
    oh my goodness. I am so thick!! I am currently breastfeeding a 6 month old and totally forgot to factor this in. What a numpty. I've been adjusting well to the lower calorie intake that mfp recommends but it probably hasn't helped my little man out any :-/ oops!

If it's any consolation, as long as you have been drinking plenty of water, your little guy has probably been getting what he needs...but not you...
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you add breastfeeding as a food, it gives a negative value for food but some reason doesn't change the total food intake so if you want it to change your calories then you'll need to put it in as exercise. I haven't really added calories to feed my 10 month old as she is also on solids now. I started at 1300 calories and now at 1000 and there doesn't appear to be any effect on my supply.
  • kateflew
    kateflew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I manually readjusted my daily target by adding the 500 calories. Not sure if it's the right way to do it but that's how I did it.