Vegetables vs complex carbs vs extra fats

Options
I eat a moderately high fat diet with the majority of my carbs being consumed around training times. By eating this way I find that I consume a lot of vegetables, I understand that this is not entirely a bad thing, but would I get the same results from swapping some of the vegetables for more rice or bread. I.e. eating a cup of rice instead of half a head of cabbage or should I have more fats like avocado?

Thanks

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I eat a moderately high fat diet with the majority of my carbs being consumed around training times. By eating this way I find that I consume a lot of vegetables, I understand that this is not entirely a bad thing, but would I get the same results from swapping some of the vegetables for more rice or bread. I.e. eating a cup of rice instead of half a head of cabbage or should I have more fats like avocado?

Thanks

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. A "normal" plate is supposed to be half vegetable, quarter meat, quarter starch, so I wouldn't suggest replacing vegetables with carbohydrates.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Thanks

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. A "normal" plate is supposed to be half vegetable, quarter meat, quarter starch, so I wouldn't suggest replacing vegetables with carbohydrates.

Switching vegetables (which are mostly made up of carbs) with carbs... I don't see the issue here.
  • rupertluxton
    rupertluxton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony. I suppose you kind of answer my question regarding the rice/bread with the "normal" plate concept. what is your theory around eating majority of carbs around training or does it really not matter too much?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony. I suppose you kind of answer my question regarding the rice/bread with the "normal" plate concept. what is your theory around eating majority of carbs around training or does it really not matter too much?

He didn't answer anything, there is no such thing as a "normal" plate concept. The poster below him pointed that out.

I'll try to answer your second question for you, there is no real need to adapt your macros to training.
    Its the age old argument of "when or how often should I eat", the answer is when your body needs fuel.
    Carbs before training can help or hinder, simple carbs such as a banana half an hour before training could give you a nice little boost of energy, a complex carb on the other hand consumed within the same period, such as rice or wheat products could slow a session down.

• rupertluxton
    Options
    Thanks Joshua. what about in terms of body composition. if I ate that banana at night time (8 hours after training and 10 hours before training again) will it have a different effect as if I ate it half an hour before training? I would also probably eat the night time banana straight after dinner which has consisted of fats that would slow down the digestion of the banana and thus not result in the insulin spike the banana would have in a fasted state right?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I believe you are overthinking. What you eat, evens out over time. Find a balance that seems balanced to you. Eat food you like. Let cravings lead you to the variety and nutrition you need. Normal is in the eye of the beholder. My dinner plate is usually split in equal thirds between meat, starch and veg. But other meals look different and don't even fit into that setup.

(Information overload is not a good thing. We get obsessed with getting it "right" and majoring in the minors. Most "advice" just adds to the confusion. "The plate model" is supposed to help utterly clueless individuals (made clueless and helpless by all the "information" and "guidelines", but in reality it's a parody. Nobody eats like that. Nutrition is complex, but not complicated. And we eat food, not nutrition.)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

He didn't answer anything, there is no such thing as a "normal" plate concept. The poster below him pointed that out.

I'll try to answer your second question for you, there is no real need to adapt your macros to training.
    Its the age old argument of "when or how often should I eat", the answer is when your body needs fuel.
    Carbs before training can help or hinder, simple carbs such as a banana half an hour before training could give you a nice little boost of energy, a complex carb on the other hand consumed within the same period, such as rice or wheat products could slow a session down.

Sorry I don't spend enough time on here to follow up. I learnt the plate concept a long time ago, but its only recently I've been eating that way. Seems to be working too.
    96mz7zu56r9p.jpg
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks Joshua. what about in terms of body composition. if I ate that banana at night time (8 hours after training and 10 hours before training again) will it have a different effect as if I ate it half an hour before training? I would also probably eat the night time banana straight after dinner which has consisted of fats that would slow down the digestion of the banana and thus not result in the insulin spike the banana would have in a fasted state right?

You are definitely overthinking this. If you want to eat a banana just before bed, you should, there is no real reason not to. A banana you eat pre-workout, or just before bed will have the same effect. Essentially you are just giving your body a fuel source, your body will burn that fuel as it sees fit you can't dictate it.
    Personally, I'll eat a banana as a booster. I have a banana and PB smoothie every morning to kick start my day, I'm unlikely to end a day that way but if I was craving a banana I'd eat one.

Sorry I don't spend enough time on here to follow up. I learnt the plate concept a long time ago, but its only recently I've been eating that way. Seems to be working too.
    96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

I guess I can kind of see the theory behind the idea, if it works for you then great, keep at it because ultimately everyone is looking for something simple and sustainable. Personally, I don't think I've had a meal structured like that since primary school (I mean no offence by that, I feel I have to say that because the above posters point about it being used by those not so knowledgeable in nutrition and btw I'm not claiming to be an expert) It's just something I have ever came across, all my meals are usually structured around my macro and calorie goals not a food type. Hence why I found your comment "I wouldn't suggest replacing vegetables with carbs" so bizarre, on my plate the vegetables are the carbs. Grains and dairy are a very minor part of diet, so I couldn't plan my plate that way even if I wanted to.
  • rupertluxton
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I am definitely trying to listen more to what my body wants to be fed rather than follow specific advice that is given in articles or podcasts. how do you guys help determine whether it is your body craving a specific food or your mind?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I am definitely trying to listen more to what my body wants to be fed rather than follow specific advice that is given in articles or podcasts. how do you guys help determine whether it is your body craving a specific food or your mind?

Now we are getting somewhere. You are entering "intuitive eating" territory, and that can be scary. We need to let go of all we "know", everything we "should". Our food environment can also be a bit tricky to navigate (and that's why all those "guidelines" turn up, but they just make it more difficult.)

First, I suggest tracking in your diary. Log everything you eat/drink as accurately as possible. Try to hit your calorie goal (presuming this has been set appropriately). Pay attention to how different foods make you feel. Are you satisfied, do you feel full? Or overly full, stuffed? How long do you feel full? Do some foods make you more energetic, others lethargic? Did the meal live up to your expectations? Do you miss anything? Want something else? Challenge your comfort zone. Try something new. Experiment with different combinations and meal timings. Aim to make your menu hit your needs more and more closely.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

You really believe what the LIZARD PEOPLE tell you to eat? Who do you work for?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

I don't really think that this is part of a(n) hostile amphibian takeover, but I do find it alarming that adults aren't considered capable and shouldn't be trusted to feed themselves.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

I don't really think that this is part of a(n) hostile amphibian takeover, but I do find it alarming that adults aren't considered capable and shouldn't be trusted to feed themselves.

But 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese so apparently they can't be trusted.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    American's would be much healthier if we ate more vegetables then refined carbs like white rice and bread. That's the point of ChooseMyPlate, which is based on some good studies.
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

But 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese so apparently they can't be trusted.

Because they've been taught to rely on the government telling them what and how to eat. Which is, as demonstrated, an unnatural and unattainable as well as unnecessarily restrictive and potentially dangerous way of eating, so not even those who are willing, are able.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    MyPlate is a good place to start for those who have NO idea of what makes up a healthy meal and I have seen several posts asking this question.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

Because they've been taught to rely on the government telling them what and how to eat.

That assumes Americans pay attention to this, which it seems is not the case.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

96mz7zu56r9p.jpg

Because they've been taught to rely on the government telling them what and how to eat.

That assumes Americans pay attention to this, which it seems is not the case.

Ok, but I paid attention, and I paid the price, with my health (I live in Norway, but Norwegian and American policies and recommendations are pretty similar).