Why Don't Petite Women Do Cardio?

Options
BananaBite
BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I am very short at only 5'0 and a half. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. Whenever I come across other shorter women some swear they only strength train and do not do any cardio. I know this is not for everyone, I know many definitely do cardio including myself.

My question is: What is their reasoning? Will cardio lead to weight gain because of building muscle? Basically, should I rethink doing cardio to lose weight?

Maybe it is an odd question, but many petite women I've seen begin to make me rethink my ideas of how I would like to shed off pounds. I know I can't lose all the weight and maintain the weight lost only by dropping my calories. Without cardio, I don't see how only strength training can lead to weight loss.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How are they gaining muscle from cardio but not from weight lifting?

How about asking them? Are you sure they aren't going swimming after? Maybe they ran to the gym.
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    I'm "petite". I do cardio after most weight training sessions. Build muscle. Burn fat.
  • mds438
    mds438 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also short here.
    I mostly do cardio - biking and running.
    But in the fitness-center I mostly do weight training. I'm at the center approx once a week, so my primary activity is cardio as I bike every day and run 2-3 times a week.
    Not because I am short, but because it fits my everyday better to do it this way.
    Have you asked them why they only do weight training?
    I have included weight training recently to help me gain more muscles specially at the core, at cardio training does not make me stronger there. Also I have noticed I run faster and better after including weight training.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Because it makes you look good naked? I'm also small and I favor weight lifting over cardio.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I suspect you may get the best answer by asking those shorter women you come across who swear they only strength train. :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Not every petite person!!

I love cardio but I do strength training/lift progressively as well - it's good for my bone health/stamina and I also like having great muscle tone all over - cardio wouldn't do that, it only burns calories in the moment whereas muscle burns extra cals all day long.

Don't knock it til you try it :smiley:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ok, so I am very short at only 5'0 and a half. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. Whenever I come across other shorter women some swear they only strength train and do not do any cardio. I know this is not for everyone, I know many definitely do cardio including myself.

My question is: What is their reasoning? Will cardio lead to weight gain because of building muscle? Basically, should I rethink doing cardio to lose weight?

Maybe it is an odd question, but many petite women I've seen begin to make me rethink my ideas of how I would like to shed off pounds. I know I can't lose all the weight and maintain the weight lost only by dropping my calories. Without cardio, I don't see how only strength training can lead to weight loss.

Because the exercise preferences of petite women vary, just as they do for average and tall women and men of all heights. How did you leap from some petite women lift to petite women don't do cardio ?

Deductive reasoning fail?
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

I wonder if they're thinking that losing a layer of fat results in better muscle definition? Its not that the muscles are bigger, it's just that you can actually see them!

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I think there's an overall shift in mentality from cardio to lifting for many, demographics aside. Lifting is a way for many to exercise and not feel like they are dying.

Personally I don't get it because if you're "lifting heavy" it can feel just as rough as a long run, but you don't necessarily have to lift that heavy I guess. I enjoy both, and I learned first hand you're only kidding yourself if you just lift. You can lose weight and look great, but the cardio carryover is grossly exaggerated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I suspect you may get the best answer by asking those shorter women you come across who swear they only strength train. :D

winner!!!!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, well my gym is full of petite women who focus on Zumba. And man do Zumba people get offended if someone is in their "spot" in the studios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Zumba is fun! Lol- Funny about the territorial feisty ladies.

Do you see good results with cycling? I've heard rumors that cycling is good for getting smaller. I tend to bulk up and want to avoid that. I'd rather get elongation and the Pilates type feminine body. I take after my dad, I'm afraid to say.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, well my gym is full of petite women who focus on Zumba. And man do Zumba people get offended if someone is in their "spot" in the studios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Zumba is fun! Lol- Funny about the territorial feisty ladies.

Do you see good results with cycling? I've heard rumors that cycling is good for getting smaller. I tend to bulk up and want to avoid that. I'd rather get elongation and the Pilates type feminine body. I take after my dad, I'm afraid to say.

you can't change genetics sadly... calorie deficit to lose weight.