Gatorade

Options
markeeley
markeeley Posts: 20 Member
Is Gatorade bad for you. I know it has sugar in it. I usually drink one big one throughout everyday. Should I give it up?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you dont burn it off though exercise, its basically KoolAid
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    haha and i'd rather have kool aide with a ton of sugar way more than gatorade
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    get the G2 low calorie stuff there is just a lot of sugar in it!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think gatorade is gross. but that is just me.

plus it really is just sugar. yeah it has electrolytes but not enough to make up for the sugar, atleast in my opinion.
  • strato999
    strato999 Posts: 9
    Options
    no one is taking away my G2 Gatorade Fruit Punch....
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There are healthier ways to get the electrolytes it provides. I drink coconut water instead. If you need some flavor to it add 1 or 2oz of 100% fruit juice. All the same benefits without the food coloring.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I buy the G2 and dilute it with water when I get it. You can try pedialyte, but it's icky AND expensive
  • littlebones14
    Options
    Should only be consumed during or after exercise.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Just a look at the ingredient list skeeves me out...bromated vegetable oil? Yum!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    ok the G2 low sugar stuff tastes nasty to me, but I went from drinking 2-3 of the regular ones a day to 1. In Phoenix many physicians recommend it due to the electrolytes you lose through sweat in the extreme heat here. I do try to drink most of it during/after my workout which is what gatorade is truly designed for.... and yes I still drink full sugar kool aid on occasion :)
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I only drink gatorade if i am running more than 45 mins, or if it is really hot (more than 85*) it is basically salty sugar water to balance your electrolytes from high endurance activities.

I would avoid it unless you are doing intense work outs. The diet stuff is like vitamin water/crystal light.....its just artificially sweetened. I wouldn't waste the money unless you reallllllly love the taste and are drinking it for the joy of drinking it!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is better for you then Gatorade
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Gatorade is really harmful to your teeth, especially if you sip it all day. It is better to guzzle it and rinse with water.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Why even mention calories or lower calorie Gatorades? One glance at the ingredients is enough to show that it's incredibly bad for you. High fructose corn syrup plus more sugar (56 grams in one of those chunky bottles, none of it natural), emulsifiers, artificial colors and other chemicals, brominated vegetable oil (which is poisonous in its gaseous state and carcinogenic in any state). . . . yum.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else, it's not the best choice for a daily drink. If you're looking for electrolytes try something like SMART water or the coconut water someone suggested. I also do the splash of fruit juice in my normal water. A lot of those types of drinks should only be used around working out since you're losing so much so quickly. We're not all perfect though, I have a thing for my daily bottle or 1/2 bottle of SOBE 0 cal drink.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Gatorade is really harmful to your teeth, especially if you sip it all day. It is better to guzzle it and rinse with water.

Oh please dont go down this road. Im a dental assistant and work with many hygenists. EVERYTHING is bad for your teeth if you dont brush and floss properly. ACIDIC things are worse, but orange juice is harder on your teeth the gatorade. If you ever go into the employee area of most dental offices we dont keep the "best foods" and only water back there. We have junk food, coffee, tea and soda like any other office (sometimes its hidden but we have it) the reason we avoid cavities? we brush and floss properly :) How do we keep our teeth white drinking coffee? We brush and floss properly and use professional grade whiteners safely.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

thanks for the bro science, Bro, but that's a ridiculous statement
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is better for you then Gatorade

off topic, but love the puppy in your picture! lol

I drink G2 when I am lifting weights or if I'm doing a long run, once in a while b.c I get tired from drinking just water all day long.
    I know I drank that and water at every station during my half marathon. I also do what a few have already said, gatorade and water mixed together..
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    zero calorie sport drinks are an integral part of my hangover cure.