Boredom Eating or Binge Eating Disorder?

Options
I am a 35/M/6'5", eating 1600 calories with no exercise. (if it matters).

I am a stay at home dad who is disabled. I go to bed at 7 and get up around 3 every day. I don't usually get hungry until around 6 when I eat breakfast. I eat lunch around 11, snack at 2, then it goes downhill. My son, who is 3.5, goes to pre-school from 7:30-1:30, so I am home alone between those times.

My problem is after lunch. I will eat lunch at 11, leave to pick up my son at 1, be home by 2, then eat a snack. I am not too terribly hungry at 2 when I eat a snack, so I just eat something like an apple. When I eat that snack, my hunger just builds until I am binging. It's like anything I eat in the afternoon just makes my appetite go up 10x. I eat more calories from 2-4 than I do for breakfast/lunch/dinner combined. I don't understand why this happens.

When I am out of the house, say grocery shopping, getting coffee, anything other than being at home, I am fine. I can eat a snack and be good until dinner. But if I am at home, it all goes to hell. I can't tell if this is boredom eating, my binging disorder, or something else.

Could it be that I eat small calorie meals? Breakfast is a turkey sausage wrap with cheese. It's 200 calories. Lunch is a small frozen meal, 190 calories, plus a can of green beans, 70 calories. Dinner is usually pretty small since I eat at 6 and go to bed at 7. Around 200 calories. The rest is eaten between 2-4.

Do you think I need to eat higher quantity, higher calorie meals/snacks? My snacks are usually an apple, cottage cheese, a sandwich, baby carrots, Greek yogurt, a wrap, soup, or anything else I have. Nothing over 200 calories per snack. I just eat a lot of these snacks because my appetite gets so big I am never satiated.

I welcome any advice.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are you over your calorie limit for the day or week? If not, it doesn't matter, unless you're trying to gain weight.

I've eaten 60% of my calories for dinner for over a year, and have lost 80 lbs, hit goal and maintained it for 4 months and counting.
  • pauldoucettefan
    pauldoucettefan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this, I'm absolutely a boredom eater and I have rubbish willpower. Do you drink much water? Now when I get that craving to eat I make my self drink a big glass of water and wait 10 minutes to see if I'm still hungry. If it's easier to be out of the house at the difficult times are you able to go out for fresh air?
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    More often that not I am over. Some days I can eat a lot and only be maybe 2-300 over, but the rest of the days I probably eat around 4-6k calories. So I am currently not losing, but slowly gaining. I weighed 180 in January, and 230 today. So this is a big problem that I need help understanding.

I have tried to up my calories to lose 1 pound per week, but I still go over. I've even tried maintenance for a while, still went over. It's like I am possessed and something takes me over and eats until I can't eat any more.

The worst things I have eaten in a day was 12 cupcakes, or drink a half-gallon of half & half, maybe an entire tub of ice cream, or a gallon of whole milk. I can easily put away a ton of calories.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    I can relate to this, I'm absolutely a boredom eater and I have rubbish willpower. Do you drink much water? Now when I get that craving to eat I make my self drink a big glass of water and wait 10 minutes to see if I'm still hungry. If it's easier to be out of the house at the difficult times are you able to go out for fresh air?

I drink more than a gallon a day. When I am feeling insatiable, I will down around 64 oz of water, but the feeling never goes away. It's not until I am so full that it hurts that I am satisfied, though I still eat more and more.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What you eat is very important. Assuming you log correctly, you are eating way too little overall. At your size, you should eat at least 2000 calories even if you want to lose weight (aiming for 1600 calories makes that likely). The snacking takes up an disproportionate amount of your calories. You need real meals. Split your allowance into the number of meals you want, and eat whatever you want, and eat at least 2000 calories. Eat some different things from day to day.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    What you eat is very important. Assuming you log correctly, you are eating way too little overall. At your size, you should eat at least 2000 calories even if you want to lose weight (aiming for 1600 calories makes that likely). The snacking takes up an disproportionate amount of your calories. You need real meals. Split your allowance into the number of meals you want, and eat whatever you want, and eat at least 2000 calories. Eat some different things from day to day.

I do log correctly. I use a digital scale for all solids, to the gram. I measure liquids with cups/spoons. I weigh all foods such as slices of bread, pre-packaged meals, etc. I am confident in my logging as I have lost over 150 pounds before in less than 9 months. I was eating 1300 calories a day. The thing is, I had no problem doing it. The first week was hard, but after that it was so easy and I even had a hard time getting that many calories in.

My current TDEE is 2600 calories, at my weight. I've tried losing 1 pound per week, 2100 calories. I've tried .5 pounds per week, I've tried maintenance. It doesn't matter what my calorie goal is, I will eat that and then eat more. I've tried eating more fat, more protein, more fiber, doesn't matter. I've tried huge meals such as 500 calories or more per meal plus snacks. I am still out of control after 2.

I know this is bad, but I've been on 37.5 mg of Phentermine, did nothing. I've tried the max dose of Vyvanse, did nothing.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    The gist of my problem is that I am fine until I get home at 2. After that first snack, the hunger builds until it is insatiable. There is no amount of food, combination of foods, that make me feel satisfied enough to stop eating. I am full, most definitely. My stomach literally hurts from so much food, but my body is telling me that I need more food.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat fruit or carbs without having a protein with it, and make sure to eat high fiber veggies with carbs also. If I have carbs I tend to get cravings, so I went low carb for this past month to heal from the insulin resistsnce. I'm slowly upping the carbs now to find the highest level I can eat without getting the cravings.

You might want to see a physician to find out if you are prediabetic. Often Type 2 can be turned around with losing weight and dietary changes.

Anyhow the protein and fiber will slow digestion and keep blood sugar from spiking, dropping, and then needing sugar or carbs to up it. I've found low carb/high fat to help.

But you should find what works for you. Grilled or roasted chicken is a low calorie and high protein item we cook on the grill in quantity. Then I weigh out portions, slice, and put in zipper bags for the freezer. I keep some prepared and handy in the fridge too.

Then I'll have a high protein low carb lunch like grilled chicken on salad greens. If you didnt cook ahead of time Tysons makes frozen (precooked) bagged, cubed roasted or sliced grilled chicken. That is very convenient because you can weigh out portion and microwave quickly. Stir frying strips of meat is a quick fix for cravings also. Boiled eggs are another quick protein fix.

If I have an apple in the afternoon for snack, for instance, I make sure to pair it with a bit of cheese, nut butter, or plain Greek yogurt with it. Then for dinner I have meat and veggies.

Finally, have you plugged in your height, weight, and age into the MFP calculator to see what your numbers are? 1500 sounds really low. You might not be getting enough calories and are hungry. Instead if plugging in 2 pound loss a week try for 1 pound if you are too hungry and up calories so you can adhere for the long haul. Plus maintenance will seem easier as you can gradually add 100 calories a day until you maintain once you get to goal.

Hang in there and don't give up. Little changes make a big difference over time. Don't be too hard on yourself and look at this process as a reward to your body not a punishment. You want to nourish yourself for health not deplete yourself.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You are young and fairly tall so it's likely that you do need to add some calories. Plus adding some fat and tweaking macros might help satiety.

I hated the mini meals diet and was constantly hungry until I started intermittent fasting. I usually eat within an 8 hour window and have 2 main meals with one small snack in between. I will have a brunch around 11 am, small afternoon snack, and a nice sized dinner with family. Then I don't eat until the next day.

I would much rather have 2 larger meals rather than 6 tiny meals a day. Plus I'm not hungry in the mornings anyhow. I switched to heavy cream in my coffee (if I can afford the calories) or black and my cravings don't start. It is great to not be hungry all day.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    Also, I do have major depression/anxiety/PTSD. Food used to be comfort for me. I am in therapy and on meds. I am doing much better at coping, but not quite normal yet. Maybe that's what the problem is, I am being proactive.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    You are "only" overweight (I understand that's not where you want to be, but your weight is not that great a concern at the moment). How long have you tried sticking to 2100 calories? Do you plan your meals? Do you plan meals you like? Eating 1300 calories for a long time can have contributed to your current problems with eating. Are you talking to someone (did you mention PTSD in another thread?)?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    More often that not I am over. Some days I can eat a lot and only be maybe 2-300 over, but the rest of the days I probably eat around 4-6k calories. So I am currently not losing, but slowly gaining. I weighed 180 in January, and 230 today. So this is a big problem that I need help understanding.

I have tried to up my calories to lose 1 pound per week, but I still go over. I've even tried maintenance for a while, still went over. It's like I am possessed and something takes me over and eats until I can't eat any more.

The worst things I have eaten in a day was 12 cupcakes, or drink a half-gallon of half & half, maybe an entire tub of ice cream, or a gallon of whole milk. I can easily put away a ton of calories.

Challenge your thoughts.

Don't believe everything you think.

It's great you are logging. Carry over that logging diligence to sticking to your limit. Be honest and kind to yourelf. Best wishes.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Try not to eat fruit or carbs without having a protein with it, and make sure to eat high fiber veggies with carbs also. If I have carbs I tend to get cravings, so I went low carb for this past month to heal from the insulin resistsnce. I'm slowly upping the carbs now to find the highest level I can eat without getting the cravings.

You might want to see a physician to find out if you are prediabetic. Often Type 2 can be turned around with losing weight and dietary changes.

Anyhow the protein and fiber will slow digestion and keep blood sugar from spiking, dropping, and then needing sugar or carbs to up it. I've found low carb/high fat to help.

But you should find what works for you. Grilled or roasted chicken is a low calorie and high protein item we cook on the grill in quantity. Then I weigh out portions, slice, and put in zipper bags for the freezer. I keep some prepared and handy in the fridge too.

Then I'll have a high protein low carb lunch like grilled chicken on salad greens. If you didnt cook ahead of time Tysons makes frozen (precooked) bagged, cubed roasted or sliced grilled chicken. That is very convenient because you can weigh out portion and microwave quickly. Stir frying strips of meat is a quick fix for cravings also. Boiled eggs are another quick protein fix.

If I have an apple in the afternoon for snack, for instance, I make sure to pair it with a bit of cheese, nut butter, or plain Greek yogurt with it. Then for dinner I have meat and veggies.

Finally, have you plugged in your height, weight, and age into the MFP calculator to see what your numbers are? 1500 sounds really low. You might not be getting enough calories and are hungry. Instead if plugging in 2 pound loss a week try for 1 pound if you are too hungry and up calories so you can adhere for the long haul. Plus maintenance will seem easier as you can gradually add 100 calories a day until you maintain once you get to goal.

Hang in there and don't give up. Little changes make a big difference over time. Don't be too hard on yourself and look at this process as a reward to your body not a punishment. You want to nourish yourself for health not deplete yourself.

I have bloodwork done every 3 months. My fasting blood sugar levels are around 65-70. Type 2 does run in the family, but I have no indication of being pre-diabetic.

I've tried low carb, even did it when I was 17 and lost over 100 pounds. I've tried it recently, giving it around 6 weeks, but again, the urge to eat is still there and I end up binging on mayo.

I've been on MFP for a while now with a 600 day streak tomorrow. I update my weight weekly. My maintenance is 2600 calories, so I have it set on 2 pounds per week which is why I am at 1600. I've tried anywhere from 2 to .5 pounds per week. I've eaten so much that I have gained 40 pounds in a single month. Fat, not water weight. It never went away. That's how much I eat.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    You are "only" overweight (I understand that's not where you want to be, but your weight is not that great a concern at the moment). How long have you tried sticking to 2100 calories? Do you plan your meals? Do you plan meals you like? Eating 1300 calories for a long time can have contributed to your current problems with eating. Are you talking to someone (did you mention PTSD in another thread?)?

I did mention PTSD in another thread. I am in therapy and on medication for it. It's helped, but I am not there yet.

I've tried various weight settings for weeks at a time. I've even done maintenance, 2600 calories, for a while, it's just not enough. People say to listen to your body, only eat when you are hungry, drink water to make sure you're not thirsty. I drink over a gallon a day, sometimes two gallons. The hunger doesn't go away.

I pre-log my meals, but usually change some things. On the days I can stick to my goal, I do very good. Usually it's when I am not at home. I don't really have the money to eat out so I will bring a light snack. If I am out and I can't buy food and only have a snack, then I am fine. If I am at home, well... you know.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    I am going to take a nap before my son goes to school so I will be away for a bit. I'll check the replies when I get up. Thank you to everyone who has replied.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Sorry, only had time to skim read this but wanted to pick up on the apple as a snack - Apples tend to do that to me too. They seem to kick start my hunger rather than fill me up.

I've noted that if I add fat (usually peanut butter) or protein (Celery, walnut, tuna, apple salad) I don't get that effect (obviously I'm adding in many more calories and that is a major factor) but even on days when the total calories are the same - as single apple is the route to hunger pangs.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Sorry, only had time to skim read this but wanted to pick up on the apple as a snack - Apples tend to do that to me too. They seem to kick start my hunger rather than fill me up.

I've noted that if I add fat (usually peanut butter) or protein (Celery, walnut, tuna, apple salad) I don't get that effect (obviously I'm adding in many more calories and that is a major factor) but even on days when the total calories are the same - as single apple is the route to hunger pangs.

Same here. Apples kick start my hunger. I find that cubing them into cottage cheese and adding cinnamon tastes great and is satisfying. I don't get the hunger pangs with that.
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2016
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »

I did mention PTSD in another thread. I am in therapy and on medication for it. It's helped, but I am not there yet.

I've tried various weight settings for weeks at a time. I've even done maintenance, 2600 calories, for a while, it's just not enough. People say to listen to your body, only eat when you are hungry, drink water to make sure you're not thirsty. I drink over a gallon a day, sometimes two gallons. The hunger doesn't go away.

I pre-log my meals, but usually change some things. On the days I can stick to my goal, I do very good. Usually it's when I am not at home. I don't really have the money to eat out so I will bring a light snack. If I am out and I can't buy food and only have a snack, then I am fine. If I am at home, well... you know.

Then I'd suggest just picking a calorie goal somewhere between 2600 and 2100, plan meals and aim to stick to them. You are not going to starve. You have said that overeating makes you uncomfortably full. Eat to be comfortably full. Your meal plan will make you comfortably full. You may have to be strict for quite a while - exert some "self-parenting" (you have a child - talk to yourself like you talk to him and treat yourself just as kindly) - and just do that until it feels like a habit and unnatural to do otherwise. Also plan to keep yourself busy, out of the house. And as others have repeatedly brought forward, never eat fruit alone. If you eat real meals and aim to stick to meals, snacking becomes redundant anyway.

Have you looked into "the hunger scale"? I used to consistently overeat (when I didn't starve myself), maybe not for the same reasons as you, but it has helped me immensely, and I regard myself a normal eater today.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I have these "I just want to eat" urges sunflower seeds in shell are my go-to. Having to shell every seed individually slows you down and it's near impossible to eat 4k extra calories in 2 hours. This may help you pass the time until your critical overeating hours are over.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is great advice. I was writing my reply and didn't see this post above until afterward. The snacking does take away from the main meals and since they are small you don't get any sense that you ate something significant. I'm thinking intermittent fasting may work in this situation for OP to allow larger meals but then training the body to have a break from food during certain hours. The body gets used to routines.

I have really good willpower, but those carb cravings I would rather avoid than white knuckle through. So I avoid the trigger foods. I know the certain ones that make me hungry and stay away from them.