Double credit for runs & steps (linked to Garmin)

Options
I've seen this issue covered but I'm still not sure how it's being calculated. On MFP, I'm listed as lightly active (sit at a desk most of the work day), and have set for 1 Pound/week loss. It calculates a net calorie intake of ~1600. I track steps with a Garmin Vivofit HR. For most exercise, I use a Garmin Forerunner 235. Both Garmin upload to Garmin Connect, which I have linked to MFP.

If I ride a bike, I get an "exercise credit" in MFP. Makes sense.

If I sit all day and don't exercise, I have negative calories in MFP for inactivity. Makes sense.

If I run with the Vivofit and the Forerunner, I get an "exercise credit" for the run, but also credit for all the steps I covered during the run. In effect, getting credit twice for the run. Makes no sense to me.

Is there a way to change this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't run with both the vivofit and 235?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the 235 have an organic pedometer?

In that case only run with one pedometer...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're double dipping because you're double tracking. Take the Vivofit off when you run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What I'd add is that the garmin Connet platform would normally account for running with both pedometer and GPS, but it's unlikely to be able to deal with two pedometers.

I always wear both a VivoSmart HR and Forerunner when I run, and it's compensated for. The GPS track takes precedence over the step count for the duration of the run.
  • Troysgone
    Troysgone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you connect to Strava and Garmin Connect MFP will take the two readings. Simply delete Strava from the MFP connection, as GC is more accurate.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Troysgone wrote: »
    If you connect to Strava and Garmin Connect MFP will take the two readings. Simply delete Strava from the MFP connection, as GC is more accurate.

The OP is running with a Pedometer [VivoSmart HR] and a Running Watch [Forerunner 235].

That's why it's double logging. It has nothing to do with Strava.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the 235 have an organic pedometer?

In that case only run with one pedometer...

if memory serves me correctly the FR235 does have a native pedometer in it.
  • DarthHelix
    DarthHelix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok, I understand now with respect to MFP.

The 235 does have a pedometer, but to my knowledge it won't incorporate those steps into my daily count since the Vivofit is set as my activity tracker. I like to use Garmin Connect to track both total steps (both walking and any running I do). I don't want to take off the Vivofit when I run.

I'm trying to figure out the best way track exercise and overall activity, and to keep it consistent with MFP. I like that if I do something other than run (bike, swim, etc) MFP will pull the activity from Connect and log the calories accordingly. It's just that for activities that involve steps it won't work.

I'll just have to delete the entries in MFP for running events. Not ideal, but not the end of the world, either.
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How do you justify that star a is less accurate than connect? Strata is frequently a lower calorie number for me than Garmin connect