Being Big all my life kinda getting Discouraged

Options
Looking for advice for someone whom is either in my shoes or have been in my shoes to give me some advice on what I need to do to just get motivated and see some results. PLEASE HELP

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height weight and goal weight?
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There's an ebook titled Spark that I often use to get motivated. The fitness and NSV boards/threads on MFP have helped tremendously. Also a thread titled "what no one ever tells you about losing weight". I'm sorry I'm not tech-savvy enough to post the actual links. Hope this helps!!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you have health issues? Diabetes!? High Blood pressure? If yes do you still want to be aviation to your situation?
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been big for so much of my life. I hit a point where I wanted to be thinner and healthier than eat the way I was. I have 2 kids which made it more important for me so I can play with them and hopefully they will be healthy all their lives. I've been there and you gotta find what you're missing otherwise it's possible but more like pushing a boulder up a mountain. Let me know if I can help further. It is easier the younger you are if you find that motivation.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I was always a fat kid (over 200 lbs. by eleven years old), my genetics suck *kitten*, blah blah etc. I got to 265 at 5'10", 26 years old before I finally decided to do something about it. Within eight months I had peeled to 196 doing nothing more than running a heavy deficit (1600 kcals/day) and lifting weights four to six times per week.

All I can tell you is that if you want it, you'll make it happen. "Always been big" can either be a driving motivator to fix yourself, or an excuse to stay the same. Don't let it be the latter.
  • Naturally_Beat
    Naturally_Beat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ="queenliz99;37402695"]What are your stats? Height weight and goal weight?

My height= 5'7
    CW:266
    GW: 180-195
  • Naturally_Beat
    Naturally_Beat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13: Question: Do you have health issues? Diabetes!? High Blood pressure? If yes do you still want to be aviation to your situation?

None of these problems with me but they run in my family

• stephenhopkins2
    stephenhopkins2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice for someone whom is either in my shoes or have been in my shoes to give me some advice on what I need to do to just get motivated and see some results. PLEASE HELP

I'm just starting out. I've been overweight all my adult life but it's got worse the last 5 years. Was starting my weigh loss journey at 330lb 2 weeks ago. So far I've lost 8lb. I want to do it for my kids. It's getting annoying having to worry if I can go on a ride with them or constantly assessing seats before I sit down incase they don't look sturdy enough. I want to be able to enjoy my children without my weight getting in the way.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I was fat all my life. But I started having health issues and got a panic attack that scared me, so it was the motivation I needed. I decided to wait after the Holidays 3.5 years ago to get started, and ate so much I managed to make myself sick of food... so I just said enough is enough and created a MFP account.

Unfortunately... nobody can find that motivation for you. All I can advise is to start slowly, and not jump straight to the 'lose 2 pounds a week' setting or you're more likely to give up (I had 80 pounds to lose and picked one pound a week).

This is very close to my story, only substitute "dehydration episode " for "panic attack ". I started my weight loss campaign a week or two before Thanksgiving of all things. Yeah, crazy I know, but everyone always starts in January, and I refused to gain anymore weight over the holidays that year.
    Here I am now 85 lbs gone, and that seems like ancient history. I realized that I was the one who made myself fat, so I was going to have to be the one to fix it. No one could do it for me. You have to want it more than you want to have unhealthy habits. That inner drive made the choice to not overeat much easier. Good health is a lifelong journey, and you deserve to be healthy. Just tell yourself that everyday..
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been way fat since high school, have tried many times to lose it. This time at 57 I am determined. I started at the end of May at almost 244 pounds (that was a couple weeks after I started). I set my goal at 1 pound per week and am currently at 225. I have a long way to go but have found several new dinner recipes that my family loves, have increased the number of steps per day gradually and even went to the gym last night. It is doable but you have to do it, no one can make that decision for you. I would say to make one change at a time, diet first so it becomes habit, gradually increase your activity. See if you can find a buddy to do it with. Although my sons are enjoying the meal changes, I am pretty much on my own for the gym. The good news on that is the difficult step is over, I walked through the door the first time. Now I just need to make that a habit also. Feel free to add me as a friend, I intend to be around for awhile.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

After making a few tweaks to my diet (less products with flour, more fruits, veggies, and protein) and beginning to exercise regularly, I felt so good that that was all the motivation I needed to continue.

I will take this opportunity to caution you to not try to do too much too soon - that's a recipe for binging or burnout. A pound a week doesn't feel like much in the beginning, but if you start now you might look back in a year and see you've lost 50 pounds already :)
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It has to come from within. When you make that final "enough is enough" decision. No one else can make you do it but yourself. Also, when you do start to working out, "start where you are". Don't try to do more than what you're capable of. The time will come when you can push yourself past uncomfortable. Good luck.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Start a food diary. Set a goal or don't, but just write down (or type in) everything you eat/drink. The accountability tends to act on our brains and automatically make us choose to eat less. Try to be honest/accurate about portion sizes. If you have trouble with that, a food scale may help. There is a lot of psychology involved in our weights.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First thing you can do is: be a willing participant.
    Don't begrudge the process of what things you'll have to do to lose weight. You're going to have to make changes on how you approach food. Log everything down to the packets of ketchup. Review often to see how you can make your entries more "food journal friendly".
    Drink your water, get in your protein and your fiber.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your shoes. I just wanted to say that you can do it. You can rule your diet and enjoy some sort of activity. Everyone loves a success story, and I wanna hear yours.

Make a plan. Start small. I think many people make the mistake trying to change everything immediately and it becomes discouraging. Make better choices week by week. Reach out to a nutritionist if needed.

There are some great people here on MFP. Stay connected and focused. It's not "all your life" if you change it. Good luck!