Healthy choice or Bad choice? Help!

Options
For breakfast I like to eat 1 single pack of instant grits, 3 turkey sausage links and 1 cup of berries. Can someone tell me if this is a bad choice? I eat this every morning and I'm questioning weather or not I'm starting my day out in a bad way by my choice of breakfast.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    are the calories fitting into your daily goal?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How does it fit in your overall calories for the day? Do you find yourself running out of calories before your last meal? Are you getting sufficient fruits/veggies/protein/fiber/etc. thru the day? If you're having problems in those areas then make adjustments thru the day in regards to your meal choices. If not, what's your concern?
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by a "bad choice" healthy in terms of specific foods is quite subjective and a lot of people don't agree on the subject.

In my opinion so long as you're eating a balanced diet and getting sufficient nutrients and have no health conditions you need to consider then eat whatever you want.
  • michelle_frady
    michelle_frady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes it totals about 335 calories. I allow myself 1500 calories per day.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nothing is inherently "bad".

Do you find it keeps you full enough to get you to your next meal? Do you find you're regularly going over your daily allotted calories? Are you missing out on key nutrients when you look at your day as a whole? These are the questions you need to be asking, not whether it's "bad" or not :)
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I like to eat 1 single pack of instant grits, 3 turkey sausage links and 1 cup of berries. Can someone tell me if this is a bad choice? I eat this every morning and I'm questioning weather or not I'm starting my day out in a bad way by my choice of breakfast.

That'd be a bad choice for me in general, but if that fits your calorie allowance, you'll be fine.
    I prefer oats over grits, because they sustain my energy longer, and eggs over processed sausage is what I'd eat.
    Finally, I'd swap out the berries for apples.

Our food intake is a function of our tastes for certain foods as well as our health and fitness goals.

Good Luck!
  • michelle_frady
    michelle_frady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It seems to fit into my daily eating fine. I just question it because I look at healthy eating blogs all the time and I never see grits on the list as an option. I have allergy to eggs so can't eat eggs as a choice. Also I have low blood sugar attacks so eating something sweet in the mornings such as cereal is not a option for me either. I eat oatmeal some mornings but it's not a favorite of mine. I also occasionally eat 1 piece of toast with peanutbutter sometimes. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm making good choices or bad.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It seems to fit into my daily eating fine. I just question it because I look at healthy eating blogs all the time and I never see grits on the list as an option. I have allergy to eggs so can't eat eggs as a choice. Also I have low blood sugar attacks so eating something sweet in the mornings such as cereal is not a option for me either. I eat oatmeal some mornings but it's not a favorite of mine. I also occasionally eat 1 piece of toast with peanutbutter sometimes. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm making good choices or bad.

I don't see what's wrong with any of those things. Clearly "healthy" to you means something different than what the blogs say. I'm not sure that blogs are really the best resources for what's "healthy" anyway. If you like peanut butter and toast, it keeps you satiated, and it fits your goals, then have at it! If you like what you're having now and they meet the same criteria, then have it. The good news it that different foods have different nutrients, so someone else's arbitrary view of "healthy" doesn't necessarily mean anything for what works for you.
    In short, no worries, it sounds like you're doing fine. :smile:
  • lady_shiba
    lady_shiba Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I personally would exchange the sausage for a leaner option, maybe turkey bacon? But if your only concern is maintaining a caloric deficit then I'd say go for it
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Does it fit in your calorie goal? Does it keep you satisfied until your next meal or snack? IF so then there is nothing wrong with that breakfast.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat grits at Waffle House at least once, if not twice, every weekend. Yum!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

You like it, it fits your goals and helps you manage your blood sugar. Sounds pretty awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do you like it? Are you satisfied until you plan to eat again and staying within your calories for the day? Does it meet your goals? (For example, are you meeting your overall goals for the day, no matter what they are, such as total protein, total vegetables, total carbs, sat fat, fiber, whatever else? this is wholly up to you and what you are currently choosing to look at, many people start simply with calories or calories+protein.)

I don't see a huge difference between oatmeal/grits/toast, except that depending on the type of each the oatmeal could have more fiber. But you could easily make that up with other foods throughout the day if it were a concern (and the berries have some).
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a sausage sandwich with onion every morning, its under 400 cals and keeps me full till lunchtime. This only changes if I run out then I will have 2 poached eggs on toast, 360 cals.
    Cereal, fruit or yoghurt etc does nothing to fill me so its wasted calories on me.
    If it fits into your calories for the day and keeps u full till lunch then I dont see why u cant have what u want.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it fits your goals then eat it. You don't need permission from strangers to enjoy your breakfast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Neither good nor bad. It's all about what works for you. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Neither good nor bad. It's all about what works for you. :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your calories and macros, whatever you eat should be fine. The exception is if you have a food allergy.
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Calories > Macros > Micro

You will not gain weight unless you eat at a surplus. You may notice a difference of energy and mood levels depending on how much protein and fat you're getting a day. If you have a deficit in certain essential vitamins then you could always adjust how much sausage and grits you eat to make sure you have enough room for the necessary nutrients.