PB2

Options
I want to buy it to start adding it to my oatmeal to save on calories, Question is does it taste like real peanut butter? If not, don't want it.

Replies

• The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am curious too
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Only real PB tastes like PB, but in oatmeal and smoothies it's passable for real and actually easier to mix in. Not as creamy tasting, but oatmeal is creamy enough to make up for it.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like it mixed into "peanut butter" and put on toast (it soaked in and made it soggy) but I put it in my protein shakes with chocolate protein powder and almond milk and I love it!
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The chocolate kind is delish. I put it on rice cakes for a nighttime sweet tooth fix.
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh hell, I thought this was a thread about PBR, what is PB2 anyways?
  • desidelay
    desidelay Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    PB2 is awesome! You can enjoy peanut butter with a fraction of the calories and make it the consistency you like. I like to add to plain Greek yogurt as a healthy dessert :smile:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It tastes like peanut butter yes. It doesn't have the same texture obviously because it doesn't have any of the oil. Mixed into oatmeal would work really well.

There are several brands of powdered peanuts now that differ in taste slightly. Yes, I've tried most of them and yes I have a problem.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree that's it's not great mixed up as a spreadable "peanut butter". That said, it's very good mixed in recipes that ask for PB! Smoothies, cookies, oatmeal. Not so good as a PB&J sandwich.
  • mlmalloy
    mlmalloy Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think this is the best alternative to processed PB. It took me a few times to get the water ratio right, but definitely worth a shot. I haven't tried the chocolate PB yet.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I really like PB2.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like the flavor. It's really good mixed into stuff like smoothies and oatmeal would probably be delicious. However, as the others have mentioned it really isn't great for spreading. If you want to eat it plan without mixing it (like dipping carrots or apples into it) I would recommend mixing it with water like the directions suggest, and adding a dash of salt and a splenda packet. It'll taste more like regular PB that way.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mlmalloy wrote: »
    I think this is the best alternative to processed PB. It took me a few times to get the water ratio right, but definitely worth a shot. I haven't tried the chocolate PB yet.

FYI: PB2 is far more processed than something like Jif. How can something be an alternative to processed PB if it's an even more processed version of PB?

Also, without processing, all you have is peanuts. In the shell.

I believe PB2 is just a peanut powder....which would mean its not processed??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

FYI: PB2 is far more processed than something like Jif. How can something be an alternative to processed PB if it's an even more processed version of PB?

Which would mean it is processed
  • rstebner
    rstebner Posts: 11 Member
    Options

PB2 is just the peanuts that have been slow roasted and pressed to remove 85% of the oil and then it is powdered (per the label). So it doesn't have all the additives of something like Skippy or Jif. It is processed since it isn't whole peanuts, but much less so than something with Hydrogenated whatever oil and sugar added.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    Options

Which would mean it is processed

Oh, lol. Obviously I do not have knowledge on that kind of stuff (working on it). Not to sound stupid, but it is actually processed then? I was under the assumption they just took the peanuts and ground them into a powder...which I guess might be the processing :neutral: lol...nevermind.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've never mixed it back into a spread, but I like it mixed into oatmeal or added to a chocolate protein shake.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    mostly but it depends if you are comparing it to natural PB without sugar added, or to the usual commercial kind. It doesn't have the sweetness that Jif etc. has. However you could add some sweetener if you find that desirable. I have found the flavor to be perfectly legit. It's good stuff. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rstebner wrote: »

PB2 is just the peanuts that have been slow roasted and pressed to remove 85% of the oil and then it is powdered (per the label). So it doesn't have all the additives of something like Skippy or Jif. It is processed since it isn't whole peanuts, but much less so than something with Hydrogenated whatever oil and sugar added.

Plenty of peanut butter is just ground up peanuts. As others have pointed out PB2 is basically peanut butter with the fat removed, so more processed.

Do people not realize that why PB is high calorie (and creamy) is the natural fat in the peanuts? (Peanuts are also high cal.) Nothing to do with "processing," which is not inherently bad.

All that aside, I never put peanut butter in anything because I find the texture difficult when mixing. PB2 seems worth a try, for me. (I love plain peanuts.)
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    They are selling PB2 at Winco in the bullk section. I tried some and it taste's like peanut butter. On days I'm under 1500 cal I have some with some Soy Milk and adds 18g protein to my diet and gets me up 170 cal. If you have it at your winco just buy a small portion to try first.

Edit to add link
    http://wincofoods.com/bulk-bin/2613/