PB2

Options
2»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    PB2 has sugar and salt - I buy peanut flour because it doesn't. I pretty much use it only for Asian style peanut sauces.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mlmalloy wrote: »
    I think this is the best alternative to processed PB. It took me a few times to get the water ratio right, but definitely worth a shot. I haven't tried the chocolate PB yet.

FYI: PB2 is far more processed than something like Jif. How can something be an alternative to processed PB if it's an even more processed version of PB?

Also, without processing, all you have is peanuts. In the shell.

I believe PB2 is just a peanut powder....which would mean its not processed??

"Processed" just means it has gone through a process to get it from one state to another. So anything not in its natural state is processed. Drying the peanuts, removing the oils, grinding them into powder then adding ingredients like sugar and salt is all processing that creates a product quite removed from its natural state.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Another vote for PB2 (or similar powdered PB) in smoothies or other mixes.
    Saves a ton in calories, and I don't notice the diff in taste.

and, as others have said, probably not for putting on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mixed some up today and put it on a banana. It was yummy! Honestly I was surprised.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I think this is the best alternative to processed PB. It took me a few times to get the water ratio right, but definitely worth a shot. I haven't tried the chocolate PB yet.

FYI: PB2 is far more processed than something like Jif. How can something be an alternative to processed PB if it's an even more processed version of PB?

"Processed" just means it has gone through a process to get it from one state to another. So anything not in its natural state is processed. Drying the peanuts, removing the oils, grinding them into powder then adding ingredients like sugar and salt is all processing that creates a product quite removed from its natural state.

But that means we can no longer use the term "processed" to mean "evil" and that's no fun.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It tastes delicious and I use it on days that I cannot afford the calories of actual pb1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Which would mean it is processed

Oh, lol. Obviously I do not have knowledge on that kind of stuff (working on it). Not to sound stupid, but it is actually processed then? I was under the assumption they just took the peanuts and ground them into a powder...which I guess might be the processing :neutral: lol...nevermind.

Nuts are very fatty. So grinding nuts (all kinds) makes a butter of sorts. They get PB2 (or peanut flour) by pressing out the oil. You can purchase peanut oil.....or the product without the oil (PB2 or peanut flour). PB2 is much lower in calories.

Pressing oil out of something is nothing new............olive oil
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So they apparently do have PB2 at Jewel (my local grocery). I could ask there, I guess, but what section is it normally in? -- I've never seen it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So they apparently do have PB2 at Jewel (my local grocery). I could ask there, I guess, but what section is it normally in? -- I've never seen it.

In my store it is right with the peanut butter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I find it in the same place I find regular peanut butter, or jellies (my Target has it).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ah, that makes sense! (D'oh!) I'm probably going tonight, so shall pick some up.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I can also get it in the bulk section of multiple stores listed as 'powdered peanut butter'. It's much cheaper there.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I blend it with a chocolate protein shake and it's yummy.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm not that crazy about the regular PB2. I mean, it will do, but I *love* peanut butter. I love it so much that I cannot buy it.

But the chocolate PB2 is a whole other thing - love that stuff.