Will I lose weight from walking?

Options
Suzex
Suzex Posts: 28 Member
Am i likely to lose weight from walking and sticking to my calories? I have had an op on my leg and had a muscle removed which means i can't run or jog for long periods of time but still want to exercise. Would like some ideas of what else i might be able to do that's not tough on my leg other than walking (although i love walking, headphones in and in my own little world). Thanks guys

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes, try and walk a little bit quicker than normal to get great results though.
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I havent done ANY exercise and have lost 25 lbs since easter. I may start soon but up til now the only thing I have done is watch my eating. good luck... it is a great site.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Pshhhttt yeah girl :D MFP sets up a calorie deficit designed so that even if you didn't exercise, if you ate healthy and within your calorie goal each day, you WILL lose weight.
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Am i likely to lose weight from walking and sticking to my calories? I have had an op on my leg and had a muscle removed which means i can't run or jog for long periods of time but still want to exercise. Would like some ideas of what else i might be able to do that's not tough on my leg other than walking (although i love walking, headphones in and in my own little world). Thanks guys

I should have read it better... what about swimming or water arobics?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It is all about dieting so count your calories and walk around to burn a bit more. You can definitely burn calories from walking try to walk a little faster than you normally would.
  • Suzex
    Options
    Thanks, I was hoping that would be the response but sometimes just need that bit of reassurance
  • PaulineHol
    PaulineHol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, what about swimming. I hear that its very good exercise and not a strain on your joints.:smile:
  • Suzex
    Options
    Swimmings a bit difficult as my leg cramps alot and gets really painful but thanks for the suggestion
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* Yes you can! Because I totally did it. Other low impact excercises you should beable to do is the elliptical, swimming and biking. Talk to your Doctor (or better yet surgeon) about modified strength training you can do to strengthen the remianing muscles and not unbalance from your other leg
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Due to an old ankle injury, it is nearly impossible for me to run, so my exercise consists mainly of walking and exercise bike. I started walking about a quarter mile a day and have built up to 2-3 miles every day. Following my diet and regular exercise has helped me to lose nearly 90 pounds over the past year and a half, so YES...YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Swimmings a bit difficult as my leg cramps alot and gets really painful but thanks for the suggestion

as redundant as this may seem, have you tried a different swimmin style? free style uses more leg muscles then butterfly or gently swimming backwards
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost over 90 pounds with walking as my main form of exercise. Mind you, I walked more and faster as I lost more, in order to keep the weight loss going fast enough to keep me motivated. But if you balance the calories the way MFP lays out, it should work out just fine.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    walking is an excellent exercise, plus you get to bond with nature and get fresh air. do what makes you happy...if you get bored of walking, ask your doctor what they recommend for your type of surgery.
  • Suzex
    Options
    Wow that's amazing, thanks and well done you :)
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    exercise in the pool///easy on joints...
  • Suzex
    Options
    Brilliant thanks, i'm hoping once i'm not shifting as much weight about i will walk further and faster too, well done by the way
  • Suzex
    Options
    Thanks that's good advice
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12lbs by walking! 5 times a week or so I walk 4-7 miles. But I walk reallly fast lol. As long as you are walking fast enough to raise your heart rate you should be fine!
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    YES you can lose weight by walking... I walk about two miles a day and do my best to stay under my calories and I've lost almost 14 lbs since March.
    I probably could run, but I don't enjoy it and I'm not very good.. Knee problems that started in middle school. Walking is fine for me, TYVM.
    Recently I've started getting up early (alarm goes off at 6 am) and walking for half an hour before my baby sister and nephew get up. It's not too hot out, no ones around and I can enjoy the time I spend on myself with my iPod.
  • hotpot83
    hotpot83 Posts: 88
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic way to exercise, its really good for you and its outside in the fresh air! :D and you can burn quite alot of calories, even if you do go slowly... Good luck!!! :D x