Boredom Eating or Binge Eating Disorder?

Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Try not to eat fruit or carbs without having a protein with it, and make sure to eat high fiber veggies with carbs also. If I have carbs I tend to get cravings, so I went low carb for this past month to heal from the insulin resistsnce. I'm slowly upping the carbs now to find the highest level I can eat without getting the cravings.

You might want to see a physician to find out if you are prediabetic. Often Type 2 can be turned around with losing weight and dietary changes.

Anyhow the protein and fiber will slow digestion and keep blood sugar from spiking, dropping, and then needing sugar or carbs to up it. I've found low carb/high fat to help.

But you should find what works for you. Grilled or roasted chicken is a low calorie and high protein item we cook on the grill in quantity. Then I weigh out portions, slice, and put in zipper bags for the freezer. I keep some prepared and handy in the fridge too.

Then I'll have a high protein low carb lunch like grilled chicken on salad greens. If you didnt cook ahead of time Tysons makes frozen (precooked) bagged, cubed roasted or sliced grilled chicken. That is very convenient because you can weigh out portion and microwave quickly. Stir frying strips of meat is a quick fix for cravings also. Boiled eggs are another quick protein fix.

If I have an apple in the afternoon for snack, for instance, I make sure to pair it with a bit of cheese, nut butter, or plain Greek yogurt with it. Then for dinner I have meat and veggies.

Finally, have you plugged in your height, weight, and age into the MFP calculator to see what your numbers are? 1500 sounds really low. You might not be getting enough calories and are hungry. Instead if plugging in 2 pound loss a week try for 1 pound if you are too hungry and up calories so you can adhere for the long haul. Plus maintenance will seem easier as you can gradually add 100 calories a day until you maintain once you get to goal.

Hang in there and don't give up. Little changes make a big difference over time. Don't be too hard on yourself and look at this process as a reward to your body not a punishment. You want to nourish yourself for health not deplete yourself.

I have bloodwork done every 3 months. My fasting blood sugar levels are around 65-70. Type 2 does run in the family, but I have no indication of being pre-diabetic.

I've tried low carb, even did it when I was 17 and lost over 100 pounds. I've tried it recently, giving it around 6 weeks, but again, the urge to eat is still there and I end up binging on mayo.

I've been on MFP for a while now with a 600 day streak tomorrow. I update my weight weekly. My maintenance is 2600 calories, so I have it set on 2 pounds per week which is why I am at 1600. I've tried anywhere from 2 to .5 pounds per week. I've eaten so much that I have gained 40 pounds in a single month. Fat, not water weight. It never went away. That's how much I eat.

Have you tried eating at the maintenance level for the weight that you WANT to be? If you are close to getting there you can't be doing the 1600 calorie thing anymore. Once you stabilize your calories coming in your body will relax knowing that it will get enough food.

The stress could make you want to eat. The fight or flight stress hormones, cortisol, adrenaline, etc most certainly do a job to up hunger. But keep fighting those fake hunger pangs. You are a fighter and have been very successful in losing over 100 pounds. Start enjoying your success and give yourself a pat on the back.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hippocrates said "let food be your medicine"....and I have abused that as well...
    Nothing can comfort my troubled soul quite like a half gallon of ice cream with a whole bag of cookies...

I just decided not to be that guy any more...
    r0v8cd6vfrd1.jpg
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I would try fasting in the morning. This would decrease the hours of opportunity to eat later in the day.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I would try fasting in the morning. This would decrease the hours of opportunity to eat later in the day.

I agree with this. I don't normally advise on how to eat, but with your schedule and no exercise, you'd probably find intermittent fasting an easy way to control yourself. You aren't hungry when you wake up at 3 as is, if you fast until lunch and eat what you need, you should easily be fine until your 7pm bedtime.
  • pauldoucettefan
    pauldoucettefan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was about to say the opposite of the posts above
  • pauldoucettefan
    pauldoucettefan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sorry my post keep deleting part way through! If I don't eat much in the morning I binge in the afternoon. Would it be worth trying to eat a decent breakfast earlier rather than waiting the 3 hours until 6am?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sorry my post keep deleting part way through! If I don't eat much in the morning I binge in the afternoon. Would it be worth trying to eat a decent breakfast earlier rather than waiting the 3 hours until 6am?

You might not have the same reaction to carbs and don't get hungry right after eating them?
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am going to approach this from a different perspective than the food combo issue which could definitely be contributing. My day "starts" up again around mid afternoon when I have to start carting my kids to all their sporting events and I have found I run to sugar and snacking to get that added bump of energy to make sure I have enough to get through the second part of my day. You may feel the need to calm yourself as the boost of energy that occurs at that time of day when you pick your child up or you may feel sluggish and need to "up" your energy to get everything done. I think a lot of stay at mom parents feel the time when their kids get home is a stressor not because of the kids themselves but the amount of energy required to finish that portion of your day. I don't know what level of disability you have as you mentioned that in your original post, but maybe find some ways to naturally calm yourself before the 2pm rush with a small child like watch your favorite show, read a great book, pray (which I do), drink some relaxing natural teas, etc. Then at 2pm perhaps go outside in nature for the child to run off some of the energy that may come with being at home after a day at school. For me my anxiety comes in not knowing whether I can meet the needs thrust on me and if you feel that way you will go to comfort yourself with food. Again I could be way off but I am pretty sure this may be a factor. Find things that are fun and interesting for you which combats boredom and calming to combat the anxiety and do those things when your child comes home. Also 30 minutes in the sun does wonders for this if you have the ability to do that. Vit D deficiency is a huge factor in depression and anxiety. I have seen amazing leaps in anxiety issues for me by making sure I am getting 30 minutes outside everyday even if only reading or sitting. (I do have blood tested low levels). Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Sorry, only had time to skim read this but wanted to pick up on the apple as a snack - Apples tend to do that to me too. They seem to kick start my hunger rather than fill me up.

I've noted that if I add fat (usually peanut butter) or protein (Celery, walnut, tuna, apple salad) I don't get that effect (obviously I'm adding in many more calories and that is a major factor) but even on days when the total calories are the same - as single apple is the route to hunger pangs.

Another vote for fat and protein with the apple.

Perhaps try eating larger meals earlier as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    More often that not I am over. Some days I can eat a lot and only be maybe 2-300 over, but the rest of the days I probably eat around 4-6k calories. So I am currently not losing, but slowly gaining. I weighed 180 in January, and 230 today. So this is a big problem that I need help understanding.

I have tried to up my calories to lose 1 pound per week, but I still go over. I've even tried maintenance for a while, still went over. It's like I am possessed and something takes me over and eats until I can't eat any more.

The worst things I have eaten in a day was 12 cupcakes, or drink a half-gallon of half & half, maybe an entire tub of ice cream, or a gallon of whole milk. I can easily put away a ton of calories.

You said you're in therapy - try adding cognitive behavioral therapy for your food issues.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you have a disorder, you will have times that you go out of control shoving food into your mouth like a machine, mentally unable to stop yourself and only stopping when you can't get another bite in. Milder behavior can be boredom eating or simply overeating because you like the taste. Disordered eating causes mental suffering. Right after a binge, the person feels horrible about themselves. And often feels sick also. The person can pack away thousands of calories in one sitting.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Try not to eat fruit or carbs without having a protein with it, and make sure to eat high fiber veggies with carbs also. If I have carbs I tend to get cravings, so I went low carb for this past month to heal from the insulin resistsnce. I'm slowly upping the carbs now to find the highest level I can eat without getting the cravings.

You might want to see a physician to find out if you are prediabetic. Often Type 2 can be turned around with losing weight and dietary changes.

Anyhow the protein and fiber will slow digestion and keep blood sugar from spiking, dropping, and then needing sugar or carbs to up it. I've found low carb/high fat to help.

But you should find what works for you. Grilled or roasted chicken is a low calorie and high protein item we cook on the grill in quantity. Then I weigh out portions, slice, and put in zipper bags for the freezer. I keep some prepared and handy in the fridge too.

Then I'll have a high protein low carb lunch like grilled chicken on salad greens. If you didnt cook ahead of time Tysons makes frozen (precooked) bagged, cubed roasted or sliced grilled chicken. That is very convenient because you can weigh out portion and microwave quickly. Stir frying strips of meat is a quick fix for cravings also. Boiled eggs are another quick protein fix.

If I have an apple in the afternoon for snack, for instance, I make sure to pair it with a bit of cheese, nut butter, or plain Greek yogurt with it. Then for dinner I have meat and veggies.

Finally, have you plugged in your height, weight, and age into the MFP calculator to see what your numbers are? 1500 sounds really low. You might not be getting enough calories and are hungry. Instead if plugging in 2 pound loss a week try for 1 pound if you are too hungry and up calories so you can adhere for the long haul. Plus maintenance will seem easier as you can gradually add 100 calories a day until you maintain once you get to goal.

Hang in there and don't give up. Little changes make a big difference over time. Don't be too hard on yourself and look at this process as a reward to your body not a punishment. You want to nourish yourself for health not deplete yourself.

I have bloodwork done every 3 months. My fasting blood sugar levels are around 65-70. Type 2 does run in the family, but I have no indication of being pre-diabetic.

I've tried low carb, even did it when I was 17 and lost over 100 pounds. I've tried it recently, giving it around 6 weeks, but again, the urge to eat is still there and I end up binging on mayo.

I've been on MFP for a while now with a 600 day streak tomorrow. I update my weight weekly. My maintenance is 2600 calories, so I have it set on 2 pounds per week which is why I am at 1600. I've tried anywhere from 2 to .5 pounds per week. I've eaten so much that I have gained 40 pounds in a single month. Fat, not water weight. It never went away. That's how much I eat.

Perhaps moderate carb (half portions) would be easier to handle than true low carb. I am prediabetic and this method has kept my blood sugar acceptable. It is true that, for this condition, protein should always be consumed with carbs so as to keep your blood sugar as stable as possible.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also, I do have major depression/anxiety/PTSD. Food used to be comfort for me. I am in therapy and on meds. I am doing much better at coping, but not quite normal yet. Maybe that's what the problem is, I am being proactive.

I think you should talk to your doctor about your afternoon munchies. It may well be a side effect of the medications you are on. Many of them are known the effect appetite.
    Also I know you said you've tried lots of tweaks, but just try eating lots of protein for a couple of days, especially in the first third of the day. Good quality protein like homemade roast chicken or fish. Check the mfp nutrition values after you log, if you are hitting 60-80g of protein you should notice a difference in your afternoon hunger.
    Good luck
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I used to, not any more, do this. My home was my trigger to get up and mindlessly walk to the kitchen any time a grab snacks in the afternoon.

I actually spread out my calories and macros such as higher protein and no cereal type breakfasts and my lunch is loaded with the bulk of my protein and fats for the day saving enough for family dinner. I always weighed out a snack and made it ready to grab in order to get out of the kitchen quickly.

There is a behavioral element to this and I had to break it by putting signs on the doors and postit notes at eye level. I eventually (and thank goodness for it being cooler weather) would walk around my block or did something like take the trash out even if I had no trash LOL

It will be something you have to work on, there is some great ideas here. Try something out and if does not work, try something else. Sometimes the trying in itself is already breaking the habit.

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater - I eat when I'm happy, sad, tired, bored, when the sun's shining, when it's raining, when it's snowing, if it's windy, if it isn't windy, whatever the reason.

Yes, you can try eating smaller snack-type meals throughout the day - and actually - that's what works better for me, is to eat something every few hours. I'll have yogurt for breakfast about 8, then at about 10 I'll have a protein/fiber bar. I'll have lunch between 11-1, then a snack at about 3, then dinner between 4-6 and another snack at about 9. Yes, sometimes I feel like I'm eating all day - but I'm staying within the 1600-1900 calories a day - logging it all, and have lost 8.5 pounds the last 3 weeks doing that.

If you're in therapy - bring it up. I see a therapist and it does help - especially since he's had Bariatric surgery and was heavier than I was when I started down the weight loss path.

Anyway - try a few things out and see what works for you...also make sure you add fiber into your meal plan. It really does help stave off the hunger cravings.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Comments like this:
    and this:
    The gist of my problem is that I am fine until I get home at 2. After that first snack, the hunger builds until it is insatiable. There is no amount of food, combination of foods, that make me feel satisfied enough to stop eating. I am full, most definitely. My stomach literally hurts from so much food, but my body is telling me that I need more food.
    say that this is not really a food issue. I don't think it's boredom eating...wouldn't you choose to do literally anything other than binge on mayo if it were just out of boredom? This doesn't sound like it's going to be fixed just by manipulating your macros (making sure you're getting protein and fat with your apple, for example) or your eating schedule. It sounds like BED, and you're going to need help managing that. Here are some places to start:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder

• MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As someone who also shares a diagnosis of Major Depression / Anxiety / PTSD, I can say that most of the 'commonly' prescribed medications I have been on in the past, especially for Anxiety, have made me hungry. Benzos (Xanax, Valium, etc), caused me to ingest copious amounts of food without ever feeling satiated. Gabapentin, commonly prescribed off-label for non-acute Anxiety, also kicks off my food cravings and is even sometimes prescribed by veterinarians for animals that are losing weight due to a lack of appetite.

Are you in Recovery from a substance-abuse disorder? Forgive me for asking (You can send me a personal message if this forum is too public -I am in Recovery myself) and have found that a side affect of getting clean has been something akin to Binge Eating. When I was using, I was flooding my body with Dopamine and as a result created new neurological receptors to handle the influx - and now that I'm clean, my body craves Dopamine, especially in a situation where I find myself stressed, agitated, or bored. Eating, especially foods high in sugar or fats, triggers a release of Dopamine.

A trick I learned from my nutritionist that seems to help me is to set an extra meal. I tend to Binge after my wife and son are in bed, so I set a meal for that time. By doing so, I practice mindfulness and awareness by planning what I am going to eat, and when I am going to eat it. Sitting down at the table, eating on proper plates with real silverware, etc, all help in controlling the experience instead of making 10 trips from the couch to the fridge and munching on anything I can get my hands on.

As others have suggested, I would also recommend getting involved with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). Both can be done one-on-one with a therapist, or in a group setting with other people who share some of the same problems, lifestyle, etc.

Best of Luck,
    Chris
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    While you are getting help for this, I would plan errands, park time, library time, etc. for the "bad hours". If staying out of the house helps, do it.

Gaining up to 40 pounds in a single month is not run of the mill boredom eating. If this could be a side effect of any of your medications, work with a doctor to see what you can do there. All of the members of your medical team, physical and psychological, should be made aware of what is going on. Many disabilities are worsened by excess weight so the sooner the better to get the help you need.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Comments like this:
    and this:
    The gist of my problem is that I am fine until I get home at 2. After that first snack, the hunger builds until it is insatiable. There is no amount of food, combination of foods, that make me feel satisfied enough to stop eating. I am full, most definitely. My stomach literally hurts from so much food, but my body is telling me that I need more food.
    say that this is not really a food issue. I don't think it's boredom eating...wouldn't you choose to do literally anything other than binge on mayo if it were just out of boredom? This doesn't sound like it's going to be fixed just by manipulating your macros (making sure you're getting protein and fat with your apple, for example) or your eating schedule. It sounds like BED, and you're going to need help managing that. Here are some places to start:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder

I was about to say the same thing. I think his issue is far deeper than food. I can't begin to imagine what is happening in the mind of someone who has PTSD. It's very serious. I think OP needs to continue with therapy and counseling. I don't think any advice on this thread will be helpful. Im sending good thoughts your way. I really hope you get better.