After dinner snacking...still my downfall

Options
I have slacked off on my calorie counting for awhile but I know where my big problem is. I am totally addicted to snacking between 8-10pm. What I eat isn't horrible or terribly unhealthy-but its enough to keep me from losing weight! Every single night I feel like I restless until I have a sweet snack or big bowl of popcorn.

Why does this feel so hard?!!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you know this is a problem area for you - cut back your calories through the day so you have enough leftover during your 'snack time'.

This way you'll get your snacks, but won't ever go over your calories.

BTW, I don't believe in the theory of not eating before bed. I eat before I go to bed EVERY night. Otherwise, I wake up starving in the middle of the night (and make HORRIBLE food choices). I truly believe it is more about WHAT you eat than WHEN you eat.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - it just seems like the night is not complete until I have an after dinner snack ;) I am trying to make my snacks smaller and smaller until I can hopefully cut them out completely. Try drinking a lot of water too - the only down side is you will be up and down going to the bathroom all night :flowerforyou:
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I agree with the WHAT instead of WHEN. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, but rather how many calories you're eating. I also agree with saving some calories for your nighttime snacks. Keep your house stocked with low-cal but filling snacks to maybe help limit your munchies.

Also: If you're wanting to curb the behavior completely, maybe invest in a lot of Listerine. Brush your teeth at a certain time every night and hit the Listerine every so often until bedtime. I know for me, a minty taste in my mouth keeps me from wanting to munch. Plus, everything kinda tastes bad after toothpaste :)
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    i'm in the same boat. in the past two years it had become habit for my husband and I to sit down to our favorite shows with our favorite snacks. pizza bites, ice cream, cookies, breadsticks, etc etc etc.

I started breaking that habit when I joined MFP in april, but its still been hard. especially when my husband still snacks at night.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I too have a horrible time not eating after supper. I find it best to save some calories for then and also to maybe have a smaller supper so I can eat during the evening...AND...have some low calorie things ready for when I am feeling desperate.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i have the same weakness, i've substituted potato chips for fruits though, cut up a green apple, or buy some fruit cups, most of it is just being victims of habit, i know i am
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Geez Louise, people. Quit whipping yourself and letting others whip you with an oft repeated 'rule' that by virtue of repetition has somehow become part of the invisible dieting law, spouted most by the rule-bound, perfectionists and saboteurs. Plan for your evening snacks. Reserve 300-500 calories for them. Include them in your diary in the morning and enjoy them. Common sense dictates it's probably not 'ideal' to eat in the evening, but neither is it a food crime. Plan for it and you will still lose weight.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I brush my teeth then use mouthwash....the minty taste in my mouth makes me not want to eat anything else.... Works for me I guess. :happy:
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Options
    I had the same problem. Evening snacking is probably responsible for most of my weight gain.

The way I fixed it was kind of unusual. For other reasons, I started to get up at 5 am. That means I have to be in bed by 9 pm. So around 8 pm, I try to go take a long bath or something to get ready for bed. When I'm occupied doing that, I discovered that I don't snack. And then, well, I'm asleep -- so I'm not eating then!
  • michellegr88
    Options
    I feel your pain I do such a good job during the day but when the kids go to bed, I am at the cupboard trying to figure out what can I have, and usually its way too much.

Michelle

Good Luck with this.....

I usually go for a walk after the kids go to bed and sweating takes away the hunger feeling.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me: I get off work about 4:00 or 4:30, get home by 5:00, be sure to work out for an hour or so (30 minutes these days), shower, THEN make and eat dinner...by this time it is so late I don't have a lot of time to snack before bed (9pm) !
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time with after dinner snacking!!! I've been trying to go to bed early every night to avoid eating unnecessarily (my snacking is just habit, not because I'm hungry). If I can't go to be early, I try to keep myself busy and out of the kitchen... last night, for example, I really wanted to snack, so I folded laundry and took a shower.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Geez Louise, people. Quit whipping yourself and letting others whip you with an oft repeated 'rule' that by virtue of repetition has somehow become part of the invisible dieting law, spouted most by the rule-bound, perfectionists and saboteurs. Plan for your evening snacks. Reserve 300-500 calories for them. Include them in your diary in the morning and enjoy them. Common sense dictates it's probably not 'ideal' to eat in the evening, but neither is it a food crime. Plan for it and you will still lose weight.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

I try hard to plan room for something, and usually I do. But on certain days I do go over just because I am so busy and dont check in to MFP as often, or due to what we have in the house. I find it harder to eat right the night before grocery night because theres nothing but crap in the house.

So yes, make room for the calories. it helps. But I feel your pain if that isnt always achievable every single night.
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    I used to have this problem after dinner I would be up with no calories left and still be hungry:(! So now I have a late night bowl of cereal and fruit:) I just leave extra room in my calories because I get hungrier through the course of the day
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    My problem is I'm not hungry--I'm emotional eating and I find that a little harder to get control of. Its so weird. I feel like I am missing out on something if I don't have a snack/dessert after dinner, and then I feel sad. I could be completely stuffed and I will still feel like I am missing something.

The other day I was playing kickball with my husband and kids and all I could think about was how I wanted to go inside and eat the homemade ice cream my husband had made that night. It bothers me that this has such a hold on me!! I think it goes deeper than just saving the calories-but making that a habit will help. Also, I will try the brushing my teeth trick. It really is like I have this angel and devil on each shoulder after dinner and sadly, I usually listen to the devil.

It might have something to do with the fact that my Mom always celebrated with food, and dealt with boredom with food. We got a candy bar when we were good in the store, donut if we helped her with chores, ice cream every Friday because it was such a great price and it was Friday! Growing up she begged me to make multiple bowls of buttered popcorn nightly and we all gorged on it.

I am trying not to repeat this pattern with my kids! I guess it starts with me. I am struggling but will keep fighting!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem, but have gradually broken myself of the habit. I had to play mental games with myself to make myself stop focusing on snacks at night. I'd try to refocus that energy on looking forward to breakfast...imagining all the yummy things I could have if I just make it to the morning (and of course when morning came, I'd just eat my usual meal). I'd let myself have a few carrots or a sugar free Jello if it got out of hand, but for the most part it worked. I also slid my dinner a bit later so I prolonged the "looking forward" to the meal and would stay full until close to bedtime. Now if I start getting cravings or feel hungry at night, I just go to bed.

I know it's not easy, but just take it one day at a time. Maybe next time you look forward to that ice cream after kickball, make yourself look forward to it with lunch the next day...then when that time comes, you might not want it anymore.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Maybe next time you look forward to that ice cream after kickball, make yourself look forward to it with lunch the next day...then when that time comes, you might not want it anymore.

That's a GREAT idea! I'm going to try this one! Thanks!
  • kookla33
    Options
    Creiche- Really good points. Thank you for passing on what worked for you. Mental games help me with other stuff too. I will try it with this.....
  • kookla33
    Options
    Did much better last night. I got busy reading to my daughter and had a nice hot cup of tea. I ate a nice big bowl of homemade chicken soup for dinner which helped me feel satisfied for a small amount of calories. I tried the idea of looking forward to eating the stuff tomorrow instead of pigging out last night, and it helped. Amazingly, I was able to put away the some chocolate chips cookies my daughter made, without eating any of them. That's rare for me! I will try the teeth brushing tonight! Yay. Feels like I am finally making progress on a long waged battle here! Thanks SO much to everyone who replied. I appreciate the help!