When should I eat if training late in the evening?

Options
I've been working out after 7pm in the evenings most days this week. My baby daughter goes to sleep and I hit the gym, then eat at around 8.30pm when I'm done - eggs on toast or pasta or something like this, but not sure that this is helping me as the scale isn't moving. I get home from work at around 5pm, so could eat then and then avoid eating after the gym. What do you think, any advice?

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Whenever suits you, or whenever you prefer.

This is not the cause of the scale not moving, other factors will be causing this. Eating a 400kcal meal before the gym or eating that same meal 8.30 is not going to hinder your progress. The calorie consumption is that same no matter what time the clock says.

One point I would make is that if you eat before you go out to train, you may be more likely to go home and snack, which would most definitely hinder weight loss.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It comes down to different opinions really. I find a protein rich meal quite beneficial myself, especially when I have been working out. Since protein repairs the muscle and reduces some of the muscle soreness you get afterwards. However, I would not eat anything that is heavy on the stomach, depending on when you get to bed.
  • GlennMurphyy
    GlennMurphyy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your hitting your calorie goals and still hungry eat cleaner foods. In this case you can eat as often as you like. I eat day and night ! When I say clean I mean lots of fish, chicken, eggs, oatmeal, veggies. You will get lean fast and always be under your calorie goal and yet never have to worry when " the safe time to eat".

PS "Avoid breads and bad carbs. They are from the devil lol .
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    If your hitting your calorie goals and still hungry eat cleaner foods. In this case you can eat as often as you like. I eat day and night ! When I say clean I mean lots of fish, chicken, eggs, oatmeal, veggies. You will get lean fast and always be under your calorie goal and yet never have to worry when " the safe time to eat".

No bad carbs...eat when you like
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

I am guessing you are trolling or have no idea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    It comes down to different opinions really. I find a protein rich meal quite beneficial myself, especially when I have been working out. Since protein repairs the muscle and reduces some of the muscle soreness you get afterwards. However, I would not eat anything that is heavy on the stomach, depending on when you get to bed.
    Muscle doesn't repair immediately after a workout session. Usually it's the next day. You can infuse muscle and encourage protein synthesis with protein AND carbs with a post shake/meal, but it still doesn't magically repair muscle right away. And there is no conclusive evidence showing that eating protein directly after a workout decreases DOMS.
    I do agree that one should see if they can handle a meal right before bed though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

No bad carbs...eat when you like

Agreed he is probably trolling, but it can be argued that before training there are such things as bad carbs. I wouldn't eat bread, pasta or any wheat product before training, add a little water for hydration and before you know it bloated with no abs getting trained that session.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti bolognese pre heavy leg session last night.

I did not die.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat before or after doesn't really matter for weight loss, only what your stomach can tolerate. Eating right before bed isn't bad as long as it doesn't bother your sleep. Eating right after work isn't bad as long as it doesn't affect your workout.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually do the same thing since I work day shifts [workout around 7:30pm, post-workout shake after the workout, dinner 1 1/2 to 2 hours later]. As long as it fits in your calories and macros it should be fine.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

No. Eating 'clean' bollocks. You can still go over your calorie limit. You need carbs. Don't do this