Six weeks into Dance lessons

Options

Replies

• Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am an old man, who doesn't know how to dance anything (always wanted to take lessons, but feel awkward trying to learn). However, I go out just about every Saturday night and dance the night away with a number of different people. One of these days I may learn actual steps, but in the meantime I am having a blast.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I looove dancing, especially salsa. I was in Cali, Colombia (the salsa capital of the world) recently, and I had a blast.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @Riffraft1960 - A year from now you'd be glad you started lessons today

@saranne1015 - Yup! It's really fun; I'll learn that a bit, eventually :)
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I started dance classes years ago and my partner bailed after learning the foxtrot and part of the waltz. I would love to do it again. Maybe someday.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    i take private lessons; my instructor is my partner when needed
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The best thing with learning swing where I am is you don't need a partner. You just turn up and they keep rotating partners during the class. That way you get to learn to respond to people differently and it keeps the style improvisational. Sometimes there's a lack of balance in the class - too many follows and not enough leads, but most workshops will aim to balance out the roles, plus you get a short chance to practice footwork on your own if you are without a partner temporarily.

I'm currently on party night five of dancing in Iceland...,
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    i'm considering a group-lesson plan to actually have partners...But the biggest thing is to simply learn everything I can so I can get to places like iceland for 5-day parties :)
  • girlinahat
    Options
    i'm considering a group-lesson plan to actually have partners...But the biggest thing is to simply learn everything I can so I can get to places like iceland for 5-day parties :)

eight dance parties (including a demo session in a bar) over a week's stay in Reykjavik and the West Fjords. I haven't danced for two nights and my feet are itching to get going again.

My tip for you is get social dancing as much as you possibly can - even if you think you can't. I held off from getting on the dance floor for so long and now I realise that is the BEST way to improve.

group lessons are good as you get to connect (physically) in different ways with different partners which helps you to understand what works and what doesn't. I had some great dances over the past week, and some pretty horrendous ones too. I also now know that my repertoire is quite small and that needs expanding.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    You are my new fav dance buddy i havent met. Thank you!!
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    The best thing with learning swing where I am is you don't need a partner. You just turn up and they keep rotating partners during the class. That way you get to learn to respond to people differently and it keeps the style improvisational. Sometimes there's a lack of balance in the class - too many follows and not enough leads, but most workshops will aim to balance out the roles, plus you get a short chance to practice footwork on your own if you are without a partner temporarily.

I'm currently on party night five of dancing in Iceland...,

in addition to the "Quote" "Insightful" and "Awesome" buttons, we now need one for "Jealous"
    :wink:
    sounds fantastic!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Good call, Sally. :)
  • girlinahat
    Options
    So @DetroitDarin how are the lessons going? I got asked if I did West Coast Swing last week by a Polish dancer and now I'm intrigued as to understanding the differences between styles. He used a lot of footwork that was different to Lindy. There was another guy there from the East coast of the US and he was doing footwork none of us really understood so I wonder if he had learnt a different style as well.

• DetroitDarin
    Options
    My lessons are going great - although mostly two-step and some east coast swing. I'm looking for local west-coast lessons, however. I am beyond excited. One week from this Friday I'll have a private WCS lesson with a very-good, award-winning instructor, however. Might be my first!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Blues dancing is fun too! I do swing and salsa with a friend. She's really into blues. I want to try it too. There is a blues and fusion group that a lot of my friends dance with.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are getting out and learning new things :). For me, I do a lot of dance aerobics bc i love to dance.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Blues dancing is fun too! I do swing and salsa with a friend. She's really into blues. I want to try it too. There is a blues and fusion group that a lot of my friends dance with.

blues is great for those late night I-can't-move-my-feet anymore moments. It's a great way of sharing a connection with someone that only lasts a song. I've had dances with people who try to make blues too technical and boy is that depressing!! Blues has SOUL, not technique!!

I have a beginner's Collegiate Shag class starting in a week or so and really looking forward to refining my knowledge (especially as have a 5 day workshop in Barcelona coming up - did I mention how dancing gets you the chance to travel the world????)
  • girlinahat
    Options
    lol dancing classes are not for real men, these pseudo men can have my place

srsly?

you sad sad being.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

blues is great for those late night I-can't-move-my-feet anymore moments. It's a great way of sharing a connection with someone that only lasts a song. I've had dances with people who try to make blues too technical and boy is that depressing!! Blues has SOUL, not technique!!

I have a beginner's Collegiate Shag class starting in a week or so and really looking forward to refining my knowledge (especially as have a 5 day workshop in Barcelona coming up - did I mention how dancing gets you the chance to travel the world????)

If you get to Germany, Holler :)