"0 calorie" Jelly/Jello

Options
kcs121
kcs121 Posts: 14 Member
I just ate 500ml (the whole packet) of 0 calorie Jello for lunch with some protein powder. The jelly came to 36 cals. I do not understand how this filled me up so much for very little cals...are we sure these food labels are correct? How can this be so low cal?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Cause they're artificially sweetened, but they're not 0 calories. Anything under 5 calories per serving in the U.S. Can be listed as 0. But you also have to take into consideration the starches used to thicken the jello
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Did you count the protein powder calories? In the US the nutritional label can claim 0 calories if 1 serving (container) is less than 5 calories (or something to that effect). While it says zero cals it still technically contains them but so little as to be negligible, but if you are eating a bunch then you should count them. My sugar free Jello has 10 calories. What brand are you eating?
  • kcs121
    Options
    hmm thanks...but 36 cals for 500ml would be correct? I find it hard to trust some food labels..it seems too good to be true.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    kcs121 wrote: »
    hmm thanks...but 36 cals for 500ml would be correct? I find it hard to trust some food labels..it seems too good to be true.

Don't trust them lol, they're allowed to be 20% off :lol:
  • kcs121
    Options
    20%, still a good average. I think i'll stay away from foods that claim to be low calorie and then have 4 servings of it in one sitting :p It plays havoc with my mental state!
  • kcs121
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Did you count the protein powder calories? In the US the nutritional label can claim 0 calories if 1 serving (container) is less than 5 calories (or something to that effect). While it says zero cals it still technically contains them but so little as to be negligible, but if you are eating a bunch then you should count them. My sugar free Jello has 10 calories. What brand are you eating?

Sorry missed this post. Weight Watchers in NZ. 9 cal per serving = 36 cals total. My protein powder came to 120 cals. So 156 cals for lunch, and i'm still full 4 hours later....it may well be correct cals, and the high protein content keeping me full. It's just causing my mind to obsess a bit that's all :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Yes you are worried for nothing. Rethink. No food is bad.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned it is sweetened artificially (low/no cal) and probably has a load of other chemicals and fake things in it.

While I agree that everything is fine in moderation, including jello, I would kindly suggest a lunch of "real" food, lean meat, veggies, etc... All the best!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Everything is real