Desk Job Problems

Options
Hey I sit at a desk all day and don't do a lot of moving around until I get out of work. I want and need help to get motivated to go after work to the gym! And I also want to help hold friends accountable!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    If you're COMMITTED to go, you'll go. If you have to be forced to go, then it's likely not something you'll keep up with unless you want to do.

To help with keeping active at your desk, get an stationary pedal bike.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lauraislovely3
    lauraislovely3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I am usually so tired by the time I get off work I don't want to go to the gym.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I try to workout before work. Even if it's just 10 minutes. That way I get it out of the way.

If I have an early morning I just do jumping jacks and some body weight exercises before my shower. It makes me feel good and gets me energized for the day!
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've a desk job too... I drink a lot of water and liquid through the day which forces me to get up and head to the can... and I take the long way to get more steps in... and usually go a couple floors up to add some burn to the legs. I don't do the gym thing due to life stuff, but dedicate 30 minutes per day for me and my exercise at a minimum. Throw me an Add if you'd like to co-motivate :) Cheers!
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job (I'm a nurse, but case management means mostly at a desk ) I find it easier to work out if I go to the gym before going into work. I'm usually at the gym by 6am. It's kind of peaceful that early in the morning, plus I don't have to worry about there being a lot of people all over the equipment I want. I also make it a point to take a walk around outside on my lunch break just to keep moving.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    i bring my gym bag with me and change here at work. i know if i go home first, there's no going back out. now, i do not pass go and do not collect $200...i go straight to the gym! (hope you get my monopoly joke)

That's me. I used to lift in the morning, before work. Then I changed gyms to one without a shower. As such, I go after - I change at work, then go.

And if anyone didn't get the above Monopoly reference, (s)he needs to go directly to jail.

:p
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    This is my struggle. I try to use at least one breaks a couple times a week to go walk the stairs for 15 mins. My building has 4 flights. I also packed a gym bag last week and put it in the trunk of my car. I haven't used it. But today after waking up feeling so terribly bloated and up 2 lbs I promise myself I'm headed to the gym straight from work.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    After a stressful day I am wiped and usually pour a drink the moment I get home, bad habit I know. I find that if I get my workout done first thing I can't get lazy or procrastinate later. That said I get up at around 4 am and hit the street til 6 am. I enjoy watching the city come to life. As a runner I like how little traffic there is and rarely need to wait for the lights to change. In the summer it is also a way to beat the heat.
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also work a desk job and I've not yet gone to the gym (there being none in my area - no really, I live in a somewhat rural area). I use my 15 minute breaks (they make me take 2) and my lunch (20 minutes of it anyway) and the time I arrive before work (my carpool gets me there about 20 minutes early) to get over an hour of walking in throughout the day. I'm at least doing a lot of cardio. I also take the stairs since the elevators are so slow it's crazy.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    i bring my gym bag with me and change here at work. i know if i go home first, there's no going back out. now, i do not pass go and do not collect $200...i go straight to the gym! (hope you get my monopoly joke)

I do the same exact thing. I don't just leave it in my car, it sits under my desk and I change before I leave. I also do some of my shorter weekday runs during my lunchbreak, since my office is in a nice suburban setting and a lap around our grounds is almost exactly 1 mile, so I'll just go out and do 3 or 4 laps.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I understand, I have a desk job and an hour and half commute one way. Its really hard to find time to get a workout in. I'm working on making time because I know I have to and I want to.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you're able to, get up every hour and take a 5-10 minute walk around the office. I do this b/c if I sit for too long, my hip flexors start to get tight.

Find a workout that you really enjoy that you'll be excited to do so it won't seem like a chore, go before work, or change at work and go directly to the gym.

I used to workout in the morning, but then I decided that the extra hour and a half of sleep was more beneficial to my overall well being than the workout b/c I could easily do that workout after work. I also had a lot of issues controlling my appetite while doing early morning workouts.

So I moved my workouts to right after work and I'm much better for it. If I workout at home, once I get home I change into my clothes and workout. If I'm going to a class, I already paid for it, so I'm not missing it, plus they're classes I really want to take.

You just have to find your groove.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    -
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're COMMITTED to go, you'll go. If you have to be forced to go, then it's likely not something you'll keep up with unless you want to do.

To help with keeping active at your desk, get an stationary pedal bike.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This ^. Most of the US population has sedentary jobs.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job so I bring my tennis shoes to work and walk on my 2 20min breaks. It is a start to a workout!
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I don't get breaks except lunch. I go for a 20 min walk at lunch and then eat at my desk. I also do squats 10 every time I go to the washroom. Sometime jumping jacks as well. I know it's weird but I get something done.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I start at 8, so I really don't want to drag my butt out of bed early enough to workout before work. But lucky because we start at 8, I get out at 4:30. I get home around 5 & immediately take the dog out and then get dressed and head to the gym. I'm lucky again here because the gym is like 3 minutes away. My husband usually gets home around 6ish, so I have about an hour to workout and then get home & start dinner. I try to go 3 times a week (sometimes adding in a nice long weekend morning session) which allows me to rearrange my schedule in case I have to go food shopping or if it's just too nice out. :smile: Long puppy walks usually happen on those days.
  • haleylhagin
    haleylhagin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Desk job here as well. Luckily, my work is huge on health and fitness and buys a Varidesk (adjusts to standing or sitting position) for anybody who wants one. I go to the gym on my lunch hour for weights, drink a lot of water throughout the day, and walk around the building in the afternoon. I get my steps in during a longer walk in the evenings. See if your work will spring for a Varidesk! It helps me move (I put in headphones and dance a bit while I work) and gets me through that 2:00 brick wall I always seem to hit.
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, and used to clock very few steps through out the day. What I have been doing recently is forcing myself to go for a walk on my first coffee break. At least 15 minutes worth, and that helps to boost my energy the rest of the day and reduce the amount I need to work out later.