Blood Pressure Reading Question

Hey guys!

I've been on myfitnesspal since April and love it! I am trying to lower my blood pressure (mainly lower my stress levels as they are super high) but losing weight helps! So far Im doing pretty decently however sometimes I find my readings kinda weird. How do you do your readings normally?

This is what I do: I usually measure myself in the mornings when its known to be highest.

As soon as I get out of bed I wait like 5 minutes, sit straight with feet on the ground, relaxed and always measure with my left arm. I usually take like 4-5 readings and try and get an average. But my readings are so weird. Sometimes Ill get 141/91 / 126/85 / 125/100 / 130/80...like it fluctuates weirdly...usually I stick within the 120s on the higher number and around 80/90 on the lower number these days. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? BUt I don't think so. I always did it this way and roughly got the same at the docs. My doc wants me to keep going with the new healthy lifestyle for a while longer before considering meds because Im not THAT high.

I measure now like 3 times a month because I find measuring too often makes me more stressed and it goes higher.. So far I range anywhere from 135/85 - 126 / 80 over the last few months on average.

Any tips?

Thanks

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I think you were over thinking it and your new approach is better. Just follow trends over time, getting a super accurate reading on any given day is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. You want your reading to be after you've rested for a while and not under stress, so it sounds like you are doing it right now. I personally measure once every month or so when I remember at my local pharmacy.

If you want to drop your BP, then your best bets are weight loss, exercise, and possibly diet changes if those things don't help.

My BP was pre-hypertensive all while I was losing weight (slightly lower than what you have posted). It wasn't until the very end of my weight loss (~35lb in, and I was working out the entire time as well) that my BP suddenly started reading normal all the time.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    I measure mine at the same time every evening and record it on a piece of paper. I try to review the trend rather than to worry about each daily reading. I am currently medicated for my high blood pressure and the daily routine is the suggestion of my doctor.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    My BP was running a little high and I was told if excercised regularly and I lost 20 lbs it would likely resolve and if I lost all the weight (around 60) I wouldn't need to worry about it at all until I was much older. I lost 20 lbs and my BP is now 120/80. I have about 20 to go to lose the full 60.

So I guess I didn't worry about my BP at all but on the actions that was going to reduce my weight which reduced my BP.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    I am on 2 meds for high BP... WITH the meds I was delightfully surprised by being at 120/78 at my Dr. appointment last Friday...for a long time I was averaging mid 130's over 90+ ... the difference for me was a combination of steady state cardio (20-40 minutes) a couple times/week... along with HIIT in the form of a outdoor stair climb equal to about an 11 story building.. 2 round trips starting at the bottom Monday, Wed and Friday are the target days.. but since I schedule that climb for lunch I don't always make it 3 days... and weather also plays a factor... regardless... IF you want to improve your circulatory system health... HIIT and Steady state cardio work hand in hand...I was told that for best results, you need a 3 reading average sitting in a relaxed position and your legs stretched out in front of you resting on your heels... think happy thoughts for 5 minutes (or meditate) then take your 3 successive readings... also manage your salt intake for better results. salt not only affects your BP it will also affect your weight