Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Health Always Worth It

Options
BreezeDoveal
BreezeDoveal Posts: 566 Member
People often say, "well it is healthier" regarding the pure physiological and mortality rate affects without considering quality of life. Why? Ultimately, doesn't that mean we we should be contemplating this:
https://www.amazon.com/Castration-Advantages-Disadvantages-Victor-Cheney/dp/1414012292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471530212&sr=8-1&keywords=benefits+of+castration
The book contains considerable data to substantiate each of the aspects of the castration results. The simple 15-minute surgery gives a whopping thirteen and a half years of average life expectancy increase, cures prostate cancer and improves the body's immune system functioning.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You're right; prostate cancer is a higher quality of life.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Of course it's not for people who already have prostate cancer!
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The idea has been contemplated for clinically healthy males.

Bit extreme.

Prostate cancer have high rates of survival if caught early, I never heard such treatment be recommended by most doctors, unlike for example breast cancer sometimes a preventative mastectomy on healthy females who carry a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation is recommended.

Quality of life is important of course. But who doesn't consider it with health issues?
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    That was worth it just to read the reviews. Almost as good as the ones for veet for men from the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair-Removal-Cream/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    That was worth it just to read the reviews. Almost as good as the ones for veet for men.

Oh my gosh! Hilarious! Not sugar-free gummy bear level, but totally worth reading.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That was worth it just to read the reviews. Almost as good as the ones for veet for men.

The "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" titles were also quite amusing.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    That was worth it just to read the reviews. Almost as good as the ones for veet for men from the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair-Removal-Cream/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

Hahaha hysterical! I didn't check the OP amazon review at first, just did lol

• NorthCascades
    Options
    Considering the number of erectile dysfunction commercials and ads, this may not be a significant change in quality of life for many.

You know what prevents that? Exercise. The "magic" happens because of blood flow, people with good cardiovascular health never develop problems in that area. It's the couch potatoes who do.

I'm not old enough to know first hand, but this is what I've been told.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a more healthy life overall than a longer one. As it is, men's T-levels drop they get older, and the more like women they become (harder to maintain/gain muscle mass, etc.).

Men and women overall would be better served by losing the excess fat, moving more, and getting under a barbell. These things will solve more problems than whatever latest and greatest study the media latches onto and misinterprets.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    People often say, "well it is healthier" regarding the pure physiological and mortality rate affects without considering quality of life. Why? Ultimately, doesn't that mean we we should be contemplating this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Castration-Advantages-Disadvantages-Victor-Cheney/dp/1414012292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471530212&sr=8-1&keywords=benefits+of+castration
    The book contains considerable data to substantiate each of the aspects of the castration results. The simple 15-minute surgery gives a whopping thirteen and a half years of average life expectancy increase, cures prostate cancer and improves the body's immune system functioning.

I'm pretty sure QOL is always a determinant in how healthy one is.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I would rather have a more healthy life overall than a longer one. As it is, men's T-levels drop they get older, and the more like women they become (harder to maintain/gain muscle mass, etc.).

Men and women overall would be better served by losing the excess fat, moving more, and getting under a barbell. These things will solve more problems than whatever latest and greatest study the media latches onto and misinterprets.

But is older men's T dropping a cause of poor health or a result?
    Won't losing weight be a way to cause health testosterone in men like:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23412685

There's the question no one has a solid answer on. I don't have a number from when I was a fatass, but my current Free-T is right on the average for someone fifteen years younger. And research has borne out living longer won't massively increase life span, but will compress the time you spend circling the drain.

My actual life goal is to be the guy who still mows his own lawn at eighty and drops dead in the middle of it.