Runners! I need your advice/opinions please!

Options
blueeyez939
blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 29 years old, I will be 30 in 2 months. I have ran off and on for years, usually only a mile a day, on the treadmill, and usually only because my trainer told me to.... But a few days ago going for a run just seemed like a good idea, so I went out, ran a mile and a half and afterwards felt amazing. So, the last couple days I have been running around a mile, outside and have continued really enjoying it. So, now I have signed up for a 5k in 2 weeks. The first 5k I will have ran as an adult lol I guess my questions really come down to this -

Am I to old to actually have a chance at placing in future races (maybe like next year) if I keep training all winter? I mean, I know there are plenty of people much older than me running 5ks in under 20min.... But I assume they have likely been running since high-school? Right? I mean, is it irrational for me to think that I might have a chance next spring if I work hard all winter at my age and current fitness level? Or is that actually doable? Lol and if it is doable, how do I get there from my current state of running a mile a day in around 8min?

Oh yeah, one other thing, what is a reasonable goal for this first race? Right now I'm kinda thinking if I can do it in 30-45min I will be happy, over 45min I think I would be pretty disappointed in myself.

And incase your wondering what my "current fitness level" is.... I'm 5'3", 130 lb, 30% body fat

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you had a look at the race results from last year for your age group? that's the best way to tell, i don't think anyone on here can tell you.

as for your first race, if you can do a mile in 8 minutes, then 30 minutes for a 5k is reasonable.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Are you running to "win" or running for your own well being, get/stay in condition, because it makes you feel good and you enjoy it? "Winning" comes in several forms: Overall race winner (male and female) and age/gender divisions. All of which are irrelevant to your overall well being and enjoyment.

Take your first race, you'll post a Personal Best, it being your first ;-). See how you fared compared to the overall race and you age/gender group. You do know that whether you win, lose or finish in the middle of the pack your life doesn't change. Take it from there.

Let's see what happens in your second and third miles ;-)

I'm 61. I know that there is a very slim (no) chance of me being an overall winner of any race. I have placed in my age/gender group a couple of times. Again, my placement in any race effects my life not one whit. Improving my time/performance just makes me feel better.

I suggest you run for you. Because you like it, it makes feel good, and you like how it conditions your body. Race placements are secondary, at best.

If you want to be a "winning" runner, you can do it if you WANT to put in the work. Probably.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert runner, but I run on occasion and do it for enjoyment. So the first question you should ask yourself is "Why?" You need to know what you hope to gain by "placing" in a 5K first in order to come up with a solid plan.

In a 5K, it is too long for a sprint - I understand your 8 min. mile sprint... I have difficulty pacing myself, so end up going way too fast, so I can maybe go the first mile in 6:30-7:00 and then end up having to slow down because I wore myself out too much early on... so my average will still end up much higher. If you are training for a 5K, upping your mileage progressively is the first step. But to be honest, 5K's are short enough that anybody could complete it, it is just a question of speed. Some really fast people will be there that you can't beat no matter what and others will be slower. The attendance for a 5K is enormous and there is always huge variety of speed and ability at a 5K.

I didn't start running until I was about your age, and I understand it would take years even at a much more active training plan before I can achieve the goals I want to achieve (again, not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I'm looking for endurance - eventually want to be able to do ultras... hope to do a 100-miler before I'm 40). If winning a 5K is your end goal and you don't really want to do anything after that, then you will need to train for a few years because the competition has been training for years too. If you have another goal beyond the 5K, then you may be less interested in winning, depending on what that goal is. My first 5K was at 30:00 (yes, exactly.. what a coincidence, eh?), when I was heavier and more out of shape. I was ok with that and moved on towards the real goal (which I'm still working on). If I had focused on trying to win a 5K, I would spend years working on sprinting 3.1 miles instead of the shorter distances I'm able to do today; and that would be counter-productive to my end goal that requires endurance.

I'm hoping my examples / experience will help, but the first thing you should figure out is what your end goal is... the point where you will you say "I'm done, I achieved all that I wanted!" and then will not seek to achieve more (in my case, I might do more ultras when I get there, but not interested in an achievement beyond that... just maintaining that level of fitness is all).
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 26 years old and was able to place in local races. I never WON one, but when I was running at my highest level, I almost always finished in the top 3 in my age group. I had ZERO fitness background, having transitioned from a sedentary couch potato.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is to not ramp up your mileage too quickly. You will almost certainly get injured, even at a young age. I have seen people do this time and time again - they become overenthusiastic and come to regret it.

Not knowing the pace for your runs, it is hard to guess a realistic goal for your 5k.
  • teresasupermama
    teresasupermama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really running until I was 35/36. You definitely are not too old. Two weeks might be a little short for training, but honestly it's only 3 miles if you have to do a run/walk you should be able to finish it. I wouldn't set any time goals for a race with that short of training though. I'd start trying to run 3-4 times a week and increase your distance gradually. So if you are running a mile and a half now then push it to 2 miles for 2 of the runs and 1 1/2 for the other 2. Then bump to 2 1/2 in a couple weeks and then 3 in a couple more. You can also search for couch to 5K plans, but honestly I'm bad about following them. I just kind of listen to my body and do my own thing with that. I wouldn't work on speed until you can comfortably run 3 miles or better, but once you can do that you can start doing speed workouts. There's tons of options out there for speed workouts. Just google speed workouts - you can do fartleks, yassos, 1/4 mile repeats, etc. I would not work on speed though until you can run 3 miles comfortably or you risk injuring yourself trying to both at the same time. Good luck with your running adventures!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What I'd say is, just go an run to see how you do. That'll give you an appreciation of how much you'll need to improve. Once you know that, you can have a think about what to do.

What you may find, once you start running, is a preference towards a particular distance. When I started running my thought was to run say 5k 4 times per week, now I'm routinely racing half marathons and marathons because I find 5K a bit unsatisfying.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Am I to old to actually have a chance at placing in future races (maybe like next year) if I keep training all winter? I mean, I know there are plenty of people much older than me running 5ks in under 20min.... But I assume they have likely been running since high-school? Right? I mean, is it irrational for me to think that I might have a chance next spring if I work hard all winter at my age and current fitness level? Or is that actually doable? Lol and if it is doable, how do I get there from my current state of running a mile a day in around 8min?

I started running when I was about 26 or 27 (2.5 miles of jogging about 3 times a week) though I was only doing it for fitness and didn't race till I was 29 (a half marathon; by that stage I had built up to about 30 miles per week, all at a conversational pace). Now I am 34 and have run 3 sub-3-hour marathons. My PR for 5k is sub 18 minutes. I think raw speed is something you develop in high school, and I kind of wish I had, as my sprint finish is rubbish, but starting late has its advantages too as you will peak later and can perform well throughout your 30s.

As to whether you can win races by next year, it really depends on the races and the quality of the field.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you put in the time and work you should have no problem being competitive with in a year. I hate running my body hates running and I can run 3k (not fast) no problem after a just a few weeks of trying. Your body is capable of doing crazy things if you work hard.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The big races here have age group placements. Chances are the older you are the less competition you will have.

Nice to hear how you have discovered the joys of running. I find the local running people to be very supportive.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    "because I find 5K a bit unsatisfying"

In my training for a Half Marathon in September, I recently did a 4 mile run at my "long run" pace. When did 4 miles become a short run? According to my coach: When 10 miles are done for breakfast. ;-)

It's all relative.

OT there should be a way to combine your several identical posts into one.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    now I'm routinely racing half marathons and marathons because I find 5K a bit unsatisfying.

I like to race half marathons and marathons because I find 5k way too difficult! :smiley:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Like others have said it will depend on what the local field looks where you are.
    Here, there are lots of people winning their age group who haven't been running since high school. Even winning the female race might be possible with a lot of training and a little talent.
    But that's here.
    My opinion is why not find out. Next year might be a little soon but no way to know unless you try.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of races out there with a lot of different level runners. The important thing is to just get out and do some. I didn't start running until I was in my fifties. At 56 I've placed in a few runs for my age group. I just shoot for sub 30 minute runs and if I achieve that I am happy whether I win anything or not. My best effort this summer was a 26 minute 5K. I did win first place in that one.

I recently ran a world class 5K. The winners in their 70's were under 25 minutes. Needless to say I didn't win anything at that race. It was fun to run with 1200 other runners so it was still a win for me.

You should focus on competing against yourself, not others.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Too old to place? :lol:

Let me tell you an entertaining story. In the Marine Corps, most of the seasoned guys that have been in most of their life end up being the fastest runners. In my company, the two fastest were in their 40s and 50s. At 21 yrs old, I had been working on reaching an 18 minute 3 mile to perfect my physical fitness test scores but could not reach under 19 minutes. During one PFT (physical fitness test), I started off my run with a sprint and found my times to be dramatically increased. I found myself passing one of the faster 40 yr olds that I had never caught up to. Around the half way mark, I found myself catching up to the fastest guy there: my Sgt Major (in his 50s at the minimum).

The Sgt Major and I were running side by side and racing each other at a full out sprint for the last half mile. I was just a few feet before the finish line before he chopped me in the chest so he wouldn't lose to me. In good humor, we both laughed at the results, as I had reached my 18 minute goal. But I found out the only reason I caught up to him is because he was running on an injured ankle.

This 50 yr old usually ran in the 16 minute times.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you can do a mile in 8 minutes, competitive runners in your age group will be about twice as fast as you--just tune into the Olympics to see how amazing they are. Don't let this discourage you though, you already know all the reasons that you run the pace you do and they run the pace they do. Instead of worrying about how fast others are going or whether or not you will win a race, try to be a better runner today than you were yesterday. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely doable. Having a goal to get faster is great and pushing yourself to an extent is ok but be careful not to push too fast, too quick and don't over train. You will get injured! It happened to me and I was sidelined from running for several years. Find a training plan and follow it and don't make running your only exercise. Strength training also will help prevent injuries and help you gain overall strength that will help with hills and speed. Hope you continue to enjoy running! I love it!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The first time I got into running I think I was about your age. I started from never running at all, but spending lots and lots of time on the elliptical, to doing my PR 5k time of 22:50 in less than a year (I even placed in my age group in a couple of local 5ks). I got out of it for a few years, due to some injuries and then losing my motivation/mojo, but I'm back at it now, (I'm 33) and so far I'm back to around a 28:30 5k, but I'm working to get that old time back. So yes, it is totally doable. Just make sure you train smart. Don't try to push too hard, too fast, and don't increase your mileage too quickly.

Also, I will tell you that you will gain faster 5k times by running longer distances/longer periods of time, not by just running 5k distances all the time as fast as you can. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. You don't need to worry about running everything fast, just start increasing the distance or length of time you're running for, at an easy-ish pace, to slowly increase your overall monthly mileage, and you'll see improvements in your 5k time.

I would maybe recommend doing some research on training plans as well, this would give you some guidelines on how to structure your workouts so that you can move from where you are now, to hitting competitive 5k times. Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway are a couple that come to mind, off the top of my head.
  • jackidoll
    jackidoll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are not old! many people ages from 14-70 are running those races all at their own pace. Just have fun with it and try your best. Completing it in general is an accomplishment of itself. My first one was 4 years ago when I was about 30 pounds heavier and I did it in 37 minutes, I dont really do 5ks now I run around 4 miles 2-4 times a week at my own pace which is about 6mph. Running is the best way to lose weight and feel great in my opinion. Good Luck!
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has been saying-you can definitely do this! Running a 5k odds pretty straight forward. You just take that first step and keep going until you get to the finish line. Running a 5k fast is something else, but definitely doable if you have a good plan. I think it's a function of two things: endurance and speed. I would start just piling on the miles. Start small and work your way up to where 3 miles doesn't seem like anything. Once every week or two I would do a speed day either at a closed track or a measured one mile course. Run all out fast intervals (shorter repetitions) to find out just what you're capable of and then set your 5k target to be 110-125% of your maximum pace. Most importantly, have fun!
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everything teresasupermama said.
    For this first 5k, just take it easy. Don't run every day - you need recovery time. Doubling/tripling your current mileage that quickly isn't wise, but hey, it's only three miles. It shouldn't break you. DO listen to your body though. This will be s great kick in the pants for you - enjoy it! Check out runkeeper if you don't have it - it plays well with MFP and there are plenty of free training programs for you to play with once this 5k is under your belt. I'm doing a 1/2 marathon plan now, and really like it.
    Good luck and happy running!!