Weight staying more or less the same

Options
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it goes. I started using MFP 2 weeks ago and have been adding everything I eat or drink with high precision. I also have the fitbit blaze watch and it is linked to MFP. Anyways I read that I should have my activity level set to "Active" as I weigh lift quite intensly about 5 times a week for about 1 - 1.5 hours per session with a 2 days on one day off schedule. I also am playing Pokémon go with my 11 year old son so I am getting in a lot of walking lately. I am just wondering if the calories that MFP is saying is should consume daily seems correct. Below are my stats.
49 year old male
Height 6' 2"
weight 205 currently (this stays more or less the same for the past few weeks)
body fat % I would guess at between 16 - 19% (I can pinch close too 2 inches of fat with my fingers beside my belley button, I am guessing I need to lose about 8 -10 pounds of fat to be at 12 - 15% body fat which is my current goal)

Having MFP goals set to Active and losing 1 pound per week has given 2480 calories per day before any exersice calories are added. I have not been eating back the exercise calories but eat on average about 2400 - 2500 calories a day of 90% healthy whole foods and I always get 150 - 200 grams of protein per day.

My fitbit report for last week said that I had a 5843 calorie defecit for the week so that should be about 1.5 pound fat loss, although I am not losing any weight but I should be gaining muscle due to my intense workouts, I am not sure that 1.5 pounds of muscle is possible in one week I would think a 1/2 pound would be about it. My fitbit says that I am burning 3000 calories most days and very active days it says 3500 or more.

Sorry for the long post but I am wondering if the 2480 calories sounds like a reasonable amout to lose some fat while gaining or at least maintaining muscle. I have be lifting for about 7 months, although I did lift on and off in the past.

Replies

  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    2400-2500 seems not terribly unreasonable for maintenance. A little low, maybe, but not out of the question.

    What exactly are you trying to do? You talk about losing fat, but gaining muscle, but put this in the gaining weight section.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It's all estimates and weight loss isn't linear. You need to gather data and look at your weight loss trend to see how you respond to whatever calorie level you choose.

    This chart has good advice:

    ps8lbfbqx2zn.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DainesDad wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it goes. I started using MFP 2 weeks ago and have been adding everything I eat or drink with high precision. I also have the fitbit blaze watch and it is linked to MFP. Anyways I read that I should have my activity level set to "Active" as I weigh lift quite intensly about 5 times a week for about 1 - 1.5 hours per session with a 2 days on one day off schedule. I also am playing Pokémon go with my 11 year old son so I am getting in a lot of walking lately. I am just wondering if the calories that MFP is saying is should consume daily seems correct. Below are my stats.
    49 year old male
    Height 6' 2"
    weight 205 currently (this stays more or less the same for the past few weeks)
    body fat % I would guess at between 16 - 19% (I can pinch close too 2 inches of fat with my fingers beside my belley button, I am guessing I need to lose about 8 -10 pounds of fat to be at 12 - 15% body fat which is my current goal)

    Having MFP goals set to Active and losing 1 pound per week has given 2480 calories per day before any exersice calories are added. I have not been eating back the exercise calories but eat on average about 2400 - 2500 calories a day of 90% healthy whole foods and I always get 150 - 200 grams of protein per day.

    My fitbit report for last week said that I had a 5843 calorie defecit for the week so that should be about 1.5 pound fat loss, although I am not losing any weight but I should be gaining muscle due to my intense workouts, I am not sure that 1.5 pounds of muscle is possible in one week I would think a 1/2 pound would be about it. My fitbit says that I am burning 3000 calories most days and very active days it says 3500 or more.

    Sorry for the long post but I am wondering if the 2480 calories sounds like a reasonable amout to lose some fat while gaining or at least maintaining muscle. I have be lifting for about 7 months, although I did lift on and off in the past.

    1. It's only been two weeks. Give it another 2 before you modify.
    2. When you start weight training, you can easily add 2-5lbs of water weight (i hover around 3)
    3. No you did not gain that kind of muscle in 2 weeks. Men can get around 1/2 lb per week in a surplus.
    4. I cut around those calories and not too far off in terms of stats, so give it a bit more time. If you don't lose weight, reduced intake by 250
    5. Fitbits are estimates, so that feedback loop of actual intake is required
    6. If you don't have a food scale, then intake can be off
  • DainesDad
    DainesDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the excellent reply's.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Eat more or move less if you're trying to gain. Simple solution
  • GlennMurphyy
    GlennMurphyy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here is what is happening. Your gaining muscle and loosing body fat at the same time. If your in your first month of fitness and the scale isn't moving that's because you loosing and gaining at roughly the same rate of speed. Therfore the scale will probably not move for at least a month of so. However give it a couple weeks and then you will notice clothes fitting differently. For now ignore the scale and watch as your clothes fit differently
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is what is happening. Your gaining muscle and loosing body fat at the same time. If your in your first month of fitness and the scale isn't moving that's because you loosing and gaining at roughly the same rate of speed. Therfore the scale will probably not move for at least a month of so. However give it a couple weeks and then you will notice clothes fitting differently. For now ignore the scale and watch as your clothes fit differently

    I don't full agree with this considering the body can oxidize fat quicker than it can grow muscle. Even in a surplus, a male is limited to ~ 1/2 lb per week. If anything this is some increases in muscle and subsequently lean body mass (increased glycogen capacity and fluid retention from exercise).
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    DainesDad wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it goes. I started using MFP 2 weeks ago and have been adding everything I eat or drink with high precision. I also have the fitbit blaze watch and it is linked to MFP. Anyways I read that I should have my activity level set to "Active" as I weigh lift quite intensly about 5 times a week for about 1 - 1.5 hours per session with a 2 days on one day off schedule. I also am playing Pokémon go with my 11 year old son so I am getting in a lot of walking lately. I am just wondering if the calories that MFP is saying is should consume daily seems correct. Below are my stats.
    49 year old male
    Height 6' 2"
    weight 205 currently (this stays more or less the same for the past few weeks)
    body fat % I would guess at between 16 - 19% (I can pinch close too 2 inches of fat with my fingers beside my belley button, I am guessing I need to lose about 8 -10 pounds of fat to be at 12 - 15% body fat which is my current goal)

    Having MFP goals set to Active and losing 1 pound per week has given 2480 calories per day before any exersice calories are added. I have not been eating back the exercise calories but eat on average about 2400 - 2500 calories a day of 90% healthy whole foods and I always get 150 - 200 grams of protein per day.

    My fitbit report for last week said that I had a 5843 calorie defecit for the week so that should be about 1.5 pound fat loss, although I am not losing any weight but I should be gaining muscle due to my intense workouts, I am not sure that 1.5 pounds of muscle is possible in one week I would think a 1/2 pound would be about it. My fitbit says that I am burning 3000 calories most days and very active days it says 3500 or more.

    Sorry for the long post but I am wondering if the 2480 calories sounds like a reasonable amout to lose some fat while gaining or at least maintaining muscle. I have be lifting for about 7 months, although I did lift on and off in the past.

    Newbie gains, keep on doing what you're doing.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Here is what is happening. Your gaining muscle and loosing body fat at the same time. If your in your first month of fitness and the scale isn't moving that's because you loosing and gaining at roughly the same rate of speed.

    This is precisely what is NOT happening! You cannot gain muscle in a deficit or lose fat in a surplus. Even with noob gains, you won't have built an appreciable amount of muscle in the time period you're talking about. Give it another 8 weeks and reassess.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on leaning up a bit first.

    If you haven't been losing 1-2lb per week, reduce your daily calories by 200.

    When you want to gain, add 200 daily calories, every 10 days, until you start gaining weight.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Here is what is happening. Your gaining muscle and loosing body fat at the same time. If your in your first month of fitness and the scale isn't moving that's because you loosing and gaining at roughly the same rate of speed.

    This is precisely what is NOT happening! You cannot gain muscle in a deficit or lose fat in a surplus. Even with noob gains, you won't have built an appreciable amount of muscle in the time period you're talking about. Give it another 8 weeks and reassess.



    You're very wrong on not being able to build muscle in a deficit. You can do a search and actual research on this. Nitrogen balance.

    People with noob gains can gain a lot of muscle the first weeks and months of a lifting, lets not forget this man is 6"2 205 pounds seems like he already had good genetics to do so.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You're very wrong on not being able to build muscle in a deficit. You can do a search and actual research on this. Nitrogen balance.

    People with noob gains can gain a lot of muscle the first weeks and months of a lifting, lets not forget this man is 6"2 205 pounds seems like he already had good genetics to do so.

    Thanks for informing me of my lack of research. All I will say is, good luck with your goals and please let me know when you've made lots of gains with your "good genetics" in a calorie deficit.
  • DainesDad
    DainesDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I have been at the same weight (give or take a pound) for at least 2 months. I started the MFP a couple of weeks ago to track protein and calorie intake. But for the last 2 months I have been working out with weights 4-5 days a week very intensely. when I look in the mirror I do see changes week to week usually by the fat around my mid section slowly getting smaller and my muscles are slowly getting bigger as I am told by friends that I am getting bigger muscle wise. Any ways I guess I will continue what I am doing and see what happens in a few more weeks then adjust when necessary.

    Once again thanks for all the replies.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Give it time, its only been 2 weeks.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i think everyone else has done a good job of addressing your question, so i'll just chip in and say that as a 5'6" girl i am so jealous of your tall man calorie allowance!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    DainesDad wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I have been at the same weight (give or take a pound) for at least 2 months. I started the MFP a couple of weeks ago to track protein and calorie intake. But for the last 2 months I have been working out with weights 4-5 days a week very intensely. when I look in the mirror I do see changes week to week usually by the fat around my mid section slowly getting smaller and my muscles are slowly getting bigger as I am told by friends that I am getting bigger muscle wise. Any ways I guess I will continue what I am doing and see what happens in a few more weeks then adjust when necessary.

    Once again thanks for all the replies.

    Unless I missed it, but did you say if you are using a food scale? You may have to taper back on calories by another 300 to 500. Things like fitbits and even MFP calculations are just estimates and you should address calories based on actual results.